Night sights

kycountryboy369

I have a shield 9 with factory sights and I want night sights. Something close to factory (idk why) but night sights Idc if they're green or white during the day as long as they're bright at night. I can get truglo tritium sights for $90 put on cash but what's good options that isn't over $100-$115? I was also thinking about TRUGLO tritium sights or trijicon night sights which look like factory but glow at night. But they're $115

Look at AmeriGlo, Trijicon and TRUGLO. Select what you like and buy them at OpticsPlanet at a discount. Using the code JYTR5 may get you another 5% off.

Understand that night sights are good to have, but also overrated. A flashlight is more important than night sights. If you can't see your target and positively identify it as a threat, then night sights don't help at all. Certain flash light techniques backlight the sights, so you would not need night sights for that. You will be point shooting at anything in contact distance anyway, so you would not need night sights for that either.

Night sights are good for low light conditions where you can positively identify the target (without needing a flashlight) and you need to (or should) line up the sights. In this case, they do not need to be incredibly bright, but should be clearly visible.

Tritium sights are limited in the amount of brightness they have. Fiber optics sights can be brighter under certain circumstances, but can also be too bright in daylight.

I have the AmeriGlo CAP sights on my S&W M&P Shield 9, see the Good Bye XS Big Dots discussion thread on why. OpticsPlanet has them for $75 (see model SW-618 at AmeriGlo).

Look at AmeriGlo, Trijicon and TRUGLO. Select what you like and buy them at OpticsPlanet at a discount. Using the code JYTR5 may get you another 5% off.

Understand that night sights are good to have, but also overrated. A flashlight is more important than night sights. If you can't see your target and positively identify it as a threat, then night sights don't help at all. Certain flash light techniques backlight the sights, so you would not need night sights for that. You will be point shooting at anything in contact distance anyway, so you would not need night sights for that either.

Night sights are good for low light conditions where you can positively identify the target (without needing a flashlight) and you need to (or should) line up the sights. In this case, they do not need to be incredibly bright, but should be clearly visible.

Tritium sights are limited in the amount of brightness they have. Fiber optics sights can be brighter under certain circumstances, but can also be too bright in daylight.

I have the AmeriGlo CAP sights on my S&W M&P Shield 9, see the Good Bye XS Big Dots discussion thread on why. OpticsPlanet has them for $75 (see model SW-618 at AmeriGlo).
I have night sights that are stock on certain Sigs which are excellent and very useful in LOW light. My old range was small, seldom used in the evening so shooting alone was common and you could walk in, control the temperature, the lights etc..., and I would low light train with light from the adjacent observation room window. Eerie and also strangely calming. My targets were not much different from full lit after doing that awhile.

I have seen the TRUGLO's on a friend's Glock and they look as good as my Sig but the Sig sights have a 12 year guarantee. I don't have a flashlight on my EDC but do have a TLR-1 on my HD G-22 and when the family is out for a few hours I have recently done some in home empty mag/chamber training and it is revealing. A light is hugely helpful when the house is really dark. I can walk around at night like a ninja now😎 I hope that I could duplicate what I've done waking from a sound sleep but not setting the alarm to stagger around the house with a condition 1 piece with the family sleeping. Have to draw a line somewhere😙

The Place To Be

I have night sights that are stock on certain Sigs which are excellent and very useful in LOW light. My old range was small, seldom used in the evening so shooting alone was common and you could walk in, control the temperature, the lights etc..., and I would low light train with light from the adjacent observation room window. Eerie and also strangely calming. My targets were not much different from full lit after doing that awhile.

I have seen the TRUGLO's on a friend's Glock and they look as good as my Sig but the Sig sights have a 12 year guarantee. I don't have a flashlight on my EDC but do have a TLR-1 on my HD G-22 and when the family is out for a few hours I have recently done some in home empty mag/chamber training and it is revealing. A light is hugely helpful when the house is really dark. I can walk around at night like a ninja now[emoji41] I hope that I could duplicate what I've done waking from a sound sleep but not setting the alarm to stagger around the house with a condition 1 piece with the family sleeping. Have to draw a line somewhere[emoji11]

The Place To Be

On the TLR-1, I mentioned before in other threads that I do tend to break the battery door for some reason. Since the door is held in place by the trigger guard, it is not falling off until I take the TLR-1 off for a once-a-year cleaning procedure. In any case, the light still worked while being on the gun.

The other motivation for taking it off was that I tend to use my flashlight anyway and my Glock 19 is less bulkier without the TLR-1.

On the TLR-1, I mentioned before in other threads that I do tend to break the battery door for some reason. Since the door is held in place by the trigger guard, it is not falling off until I take the TLR-1 off for a once-a-year cleaning procedure. In any case, the light still worked while being on the gun.

The other motivation for taking it off was that I tend to use my flashlight anyway and my Glock 19 is less bulkier without the TLR-1.
I haven't tried off hand lighting. I have always felt like if I actually lit something up with my TLR that my trigger pull would be about a millisecond after and since I'll never know until I know, I try to keep it simple. I know my local LEO's do it but I'm not copying anyone, just trying to be repetitively successful with stuff I know I can consistently execute.

I think I'd end up looking like Jerry Lewis trying to manage two handed functionality in a real life encounter and I can't chance it. My gut tells me that on my home turf, and unless they are very well trained and disciplined, that a light popping on would freeze or disorient them and then it's just a nerve war. I like my odds in my own house. Out in town it's anyone's guess.

In the interest of not thread hijacking, my night sights would work well in a dimly lit environment or parking lot. Since I avoid dark alleys and am not voluntarily putting myself in bad locations after the sun sets, I hope to avoid that scenario. A vehicle breakdown on a back road is my primary concern when I envision situational awareness and training being at a premium.

The Place To Be

I haven't tried off hand lighting. I have always felt like if I actually lit something up with my TLR that my trigger pull would be about a millisecond after and since I'll never know until I know, I try to keep it simple. I know my local LEO's do it but I'm not copying anyone, just trying to be repetitively successful with stuff I know I can consistently execute.

I think I'd end up looking like Jerry Lewis trying to manage two handed functionality in a real life encounter and I can't chance it. My gut tells me that on my home turf, and unless they are very well trained and disciplined, that a light popping on would freeze or disorient them and then it's just a nerve war. I like my odds in my own house. Out in town it's anyone's guess.

In the interest of not thread hijacking, my night sights would work well in a dimly lit environment or parking lot. Since I avoid dark alleys and am not voluntarily putting myself in bad locations after the sun sets, I hope to avoid that scenario. A vehicle breakdown on a back road is my primary concern when I envision situational awareness and training being at a premium.

The Place To Be

Being able to shoot one-handed is key to using a flashlight. In any case, dry practice at home in the dark and in low light conditions with whatever light you have and your night sights! Learn how to point the light on surfaces, such as the floor or ceiling to light up an entire room. Always maintain the basic rules of firearm safety! Just because you have a light mounted your gun doesn't mean you can now point the gun at persons to identify them.

One thing I always mention about sights is that the rear sights should have some straight edge to allow for racking the slide one-handed. There are quite a number of aftermarket rear sights that are slanted and will make that task impossible.

Being able to shoot one-handed is key to using a flashlight. In any case, dry practice at home in the dark and in low light conditions with whatever light you have and your night sights! Learn how to point the light on surfaces, such as the floor or ceiling to light up an entire room. Always maintain the basic rules of firearm safety! Just because you have a light mounted your gun doesn't mean you can now point the gun at persons to identify them.

One thing I always mention about sights is that the rear sights should have some straight edge to allow for racking the slide one-handed. There are quite a number of aftermarket rear sights that are slanted and will make that task impossible.
I was never Nureyev in my younger days and my clumsy meter just climbs as I get older. I keep the KISS principle at the top of my training for those very reasons. My relative calm under duress is hopefully my X factor. My wife is as good under pressure as myself, so we are a good team and she is probably a better overall shooter, particularly with a long gun.

The Place To Be

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back