Next gun to buy

njsportsman

As some of you may or may not know I traded my Kel Tec PF9 for an XDS in 45ACP. A couple of other guns I was kicking around at the time were the Nano, S&w Shield along with the Kahr CM40. I am very happy with my choice. Very manageable gun handles better than my Kel Tec. Now I have 1 permit left and here in New Jerkistan we have to apply for permits it takes about 3 months to get a permit to purchase. It used to take 3 weeks either way to long but, I don’t know if it’ll go back to 3 weeks so, putting the permit I have left to use. To the point of the post I still have an eye on the Shield think I pretty much ruled out the Nano and CM40 but, instead of the Shield I like the compact M&P in 40 and am considering the Ruger SR40c but don’t hear too much about the Ruger. Opinions on both are welcome thanks in advance.

Work at the largest gun store in my sight and are two hottest items are the xds and m&p shield for carry. If you already have the xds go for a full size gun like the m&p or check out an NFC or cz 75. Czs are the hidden gem in the gun industry and everyone I've introduced them too sold their beretta 92 and bought one.
You have small carry don't need a medium carry, full size fun shooting is what you need

I just bought a Taurus P111G2 in 9 & was surprised how light it is. Had to wait almost 3 mos to get it cause nobody around could get them. They were sold b4 the gun store even got them. Shoots great but is a little finicky about what it shoots.

Sorry about living in NJ. The people are great...it's the politics (starting with that donut Eater of a Gov ). I have a Ruger Sr40c. I have had it since Nov 2012. I must have run about a thousand rounds through it. Have had about 3-4 stovepipes, but I think that was due to my being new and limp wristing. Mine was bought new $399.00. The only drawback is that the slide was hard to charge. It is now getting much easier. I find it a great EDC.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

I have the Ruger SR40c as does my son-in-law. We both think it is a great carry pistol and with the 8 round magazine it is good to go in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. It is my main EDC.
Link Removed

Kennydale thanks for your condolences. I am originally from PA yea I know what was I thinking. I'll give NJ two shout outs - I found people who lead me to the Lord and the schools besides that I can't wait to get back home.

I have the Ruger SR40c as does my son-in-law. We both think it is a great carry pistol and with the 8 round magazine it is good to go in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. It is my main EDC.
Link Removed

It is still 15 rounds here at least for now.

Don't see how you can go wrong w/ a Ruger. I have the P345 have had it for about 5 yrs, it never fails to go BOOM when I pull the trigger. It's a little heavy for CCW but I still carry it.

Now that you have a carry gun that you like and willing to carry have you considered something in the full size range? Or are you trying to get more carry options? Tough decisions, I know.

The Shield is very nice, I was thinking about one myself, luckily there's a shop I know of that never runs out of them. So I rented on at my range and shot it mag for mag with my PF9, sadly there was no real difference there the exact same size and shoot near identical. Yes, it's a little more refined and I would like one but can't rationalize the extra money even if I sell the PF9. But since you got rid of yours, I'd say go for it. I say everybody needs a full, mid, small and REALLY small gun. Gotta be ready for anything. I don't buy into that dressing around the gun crap.

I have both the M&P 40 Compact (10 rounds) and the M&P 40 Shield (waited 9 months last year to get it in January 2013). They're both excellent firearms; easy to handle, accurate and I have had ZERO issues. The Shield is certainly easier to conceal in a wider variety of clothing, but the M&P 40 Compact is a very very nice gun to shoot. I'd rather shoot the 40 Compact than the 9mm Compact. I'll be totally honest, I never carry the Compact 40, it's strictly a home gun. I carry a Kahr MK40 or a 4" barrel 1911 in cooler weather and the Shield 40 or Ruger LCP in warmer weather. Shot the Ruger LC9 and didn't much care for it. Also shot an FNH 40 which was not near as nice as the M&P line. Have you ever considered a revolver? I hadn't in the beginning, but I really like my S&W 686+ 3" 357magnum. I usually take it hiking in the mountains.

Now that you have a carry gun that you like and willing to carry have you considered something in the full size range? Or are you trying to get more carry options? Tough decisions, I know.

Exactly many things I want but, don't have the money to fuel my desires. So it's a piece at a time I have pretty much every size covered but full size. I like the medium and small frame guns easy to conceal. I don't plan on ever open carrying at least for now and to me that is what a full size would be for. I have a medium size 9mm and a medium size .40 a Sig P250 but to bulky plus I really like striker action pistols. I am not a big revolver fan for carrying. Before I get beat up that’s my opinion God bless if you like revolvers it is a personal thing. I do carry one but, only because of my predicament as I said I live in the People’s Republic of NJ so, when I enter a state I can carry it’s just easier to load up a revolver. I can’t have the magazine’s loaded and in a separate box from the gun. The empty mags can’t even be in the ammo box they have to be separate. Sucks yea I know that’s why I just load up my 7 round revolver it’s easy. So back to the post I want a medium sized pistol in .40 or .45. Prayerfully in another year I will not have to worry about this nonsense anymore I plan to move back home. A lot of things would have to happen for next year but, I am trying.

Exactly many things I want but, don't have the money to fuel my desires. So it's a piece at a time I have pretty much every size covered but full size. I like the medium and small frame guns easy to conceal. I don't plan on ever open carrying at least for now and to me that is what a full size would be for. I have a medium size 9mm and a medium size .40 a Sig P250 but to bulky plus I really like striker action pistols. I am not a big revolver fan for carrying. Before I get beat up that’s my opinion God bless if you like revolvers it is a personal thing. I do carry one but, only because of my predicament as I said I live in the People’s Republic of NJ so, when I enter a state I can carry it’s just easier to load up a revolver. I can’t have the magazine’s loaded and in a separate box from the gun. The empty mags can’t even be in the ammo box they have to be separate. Sucks yea I know that’s why I just load up my 7 round revolver it’s easy. So back to the post I want a medium sized pistol in .40 or .45. Prayerfully in another year I will not have to worry about this nonsense anymore I plan to move back home. A lot of things would have to happen for next year but, I am trying.

I hear ya. I was taking a philosophy of use angle. Possibly consider a full size for your home security option/training/spare/introducing shooting to a friend etc. I know, train with what you carry but a back up is always nice too. Have you looked at the Glock 30 SF? If I were in the market for a medium size pistol in .45 this is what I would seriously consider. If you're not a Glock fan then the Springfield XDM 3.8 in .40 or .45 is a super shooter. Good luck getting out of NJ.

So back to the post I want a medium sized pistol in .40 or .45.
Personally, I like the M&P line of weapons over the Springfield, Ruger, Glock and others. My M&P 40 Compact is very nice and I am quite accurate with it. It's my favorite Polymer handgun. In a 45, I like all steel, and the Kimber Pro Series is my choice. It seems people either love their Kimber or hate them. I've had two different Pro size (4") Kimbers and I had no problems with either of them. Got rid of the first one, upgrading to a higher end model. I've heard a lot of people happy with the new Ruger 5" barrel 1911 and they just came out with a 4.25" barrel model recently; I would imagine it is equally as good. I am considering taking a look at it, but I would like an all black one, which they do not manufacture, yet; keeping my fingers crossed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back