Newbie question about hunting rifles

txhkman

I'm interested in a rifle I could use for hunting. Deer is what I'd like to hunt and I have friends who will take me, but I'd like a source for info about rifles and how to choose the best for my purposes.

I'm not intending to open a can of worms just don't know where to start and I'd rather learn rather than be told what to buy.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, I would try and go out to your local range with a variety of guns in different calibers and get an idea of what works and feels best to you.

There are a lot of good rifles and a lot of opinions. What type of hunting will you be doing? Open fields or where there is brush or both? What size animals? Length of shot? The three most popular cal. 270, 308, 30-06. Here is a link that may help. http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=13170
Check Field & Stream as well. If you will be shooting 100 yards or less, a 12 gauge rifled barrel slug gun works great.

I use a 270, however a 30-06 is very versatile and works well with deer and up to elk. The 30-06 has so may different gain sizes of bullets that it's a very popular deer hunting caliber where I used to live. I have seen some use as little as a 243, depending on the type of area a 30.30 works well. The 30.30 is nice if there is a lot of brush because is can punch through what would deflect some lighter bullets. I know some guys who use a 300 Win Mag and to me that is just overkill.

Just found out that in Ohio you can't use a rifle for deer hunting so it's a shotgun. Any suggestions?

If you're on a budget you could pick up a single-shot 12ga from NE Arms or H&R... with proper shot placement, you won't need more than one shot of 00, 000 or a slug within 50yds.

I like my .30-06. Step dad has the same rifle in .308. I noticed that when the ammo shortage happened, I could still find .30-06 easily but .308 was scarce.

EDIT: Just noticed your shotgun requirement. Kinda odd you cant use a rifle. I loved my old Remington pump.

That is a Remington 870, mentioned above. The super magnum is a real handful. The 12 gauge is no slouch, without the magnum. Fortunately, you don't have to put 3 1/2' shells in it. You can use magnum (3") or standard (2 3/4") ammo. Then work your way up to your comfort level.They will put a lot more lead downrange, but remove half your shoulder in the process. You would want to make sure that a rifled slug barrel is not banned, cause that would essentially make your shotgun into a rifle. Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck and happy hunting. (I've been skunked so far this year)
Keith

Gallery of guns sells them for $462 when they are in stock. (that's my zip code) You may find one cheaper elsewhere, or used.
Link Removed

Would something like this work?

Link Removed

I just realized you live in OH... if you are hunting in OH, you may NOT use a rifle to hunt. You must use a shotgun. Where will you be hunting?

If you are dead set on a rifle though, the calibers starting at .243 up to .338 would do you well. I personally have a .30-06 that I use deer hunting in PA. It does me just fine. Certain people don't like this rifle because it is a bit heavier than some of the smaller calibers. Some think the .243 is a bit on the light end, but a nice compromise would be a .270 Win.

Sorry, just read that you already realized that you need a shotgun. Mossberg 500 in 12 ga, but make sure you get both a smooth and rifled barrel. Smooth is for shot, the rifled is for slug. Here's a link of the Mossberg lineup of pump action shotguns: Link Removed

I bought a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel.

Here is the barrel I should buy for deer hunting from Remington's website:

24611Express® Deer Barrel Fully Rifled w/ Rifle Sights 12 20" RS Fully Rifled

But I also see this:

24622 Express Deer Barrel w/ Rifle Sights 12 20" RS Imp. Cyl.

I think either will work but not exactly sure the difference.

Folks, thanks for responding.

I bought a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel.

Here is the barrel I should buy for deer hunting from Remington's website:

24611Express® Deer Barrel Fully Rifled w/ Rifle Sights 12 20" RS Fully Rifled

But I also see this:

24622 Express Deer Barrel w/ Rifle Sights 12 20" RS Imp. Cyl.

I think either will work but not exactly sure the difference.

Folks, thanks for responding.

One barrel is rifled, the other isn't. The one that isn't rifled has an improved cylinder choke at the end of the bore, meaning it compresses the shot before it exits the barrel to delay the shot scatter... allowing you to make longer shots. Cylinder bore means the barrel stays the same all the way through, improved cylinder reduces that diameter slightly... it is still considered safe to shoot buck shot but I would caution against slugs (unless Remington says otherwise). Next would be Modified, improved modified and finally full choke... each closes the diameter further than the previous. Modified through full are for field loads such as #6-12, for use on everything from rabbits to birds.

EDIT: Just noticed your shotgun requirement. Kinda odd you cant use a rifle. I loved my old Remington pump.

Yeah, it's apparently the same way in Massachusetts. Doesn't make much sense to me, but a lot of these minimum caliber laws (I think Indiana requires a bullet diameter of .357 or greater) and restrictions based on weapon type were written/proposed by folks who don't really have an understanding of hunting, never mind the finner points of ballistics.

Folks,

I ordered the fully rifled barrel with rifle sights.

I really appreciate all the help and info. You all are great!

Keith

I like the remington 870 ,you have many options in stocks and barrels(rifled or smooth bore) and they are reasonably priced.If recoil is a problem, try a semiauto . I like the remington 1100 also has many stock options.Rifled shotguns can kill out to two hundred yards with a good scope and lots of practice.I like a fixed 4 power, its all you need and much less expencive than a veriable power scope.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back