New York State Police on I-90 (2010)

d@v3

The LEO happened to spot my CCW permit as I took out my wallet and asked 'what's that'. I told him it was a CCW and he asked if I was carrying. I told I was not and he just said 'oh ok', and then sort of made a joke out of it saying 'well I hope not since you're coming from the airport', then we both kind of laughed. Nothing else was said about it, though I think he did take my CCW back to his car in lieu of my missing drivers ID. Everything worked out though. I think having an unrestricted CCW helped, as they are nearly impossible to get even with impeccable credentials. I also attribute this to being out in the sticks. This would probably not have gone so smoothly downstate on the outskirts of New York City!

Last edited:
I really don't think having an unrestricted permit mattered much. They aren't that hard to get "out in the sticks". Outside of major metro areas in upstate they are pretty common.

what county did this happen in?

BTW - the cars behind you are responsible for keeping a safe distance in case of a sudden stop. The only exception is when the lead driver caused the unsafe distance, such as pulling in front of the other car, or if the lead vehicle makes an illegal stop (as in stopping for no apparent reason or stopping to take a picture of the full moon.)

I suggest you stop being a victim.

It wasn't the truck driver's fault or your family member's fault. Both were your fault. You CHOSE to have that wreck and you CHOSE to drive without a license. You were in Condition White: Oblivious.

Driving to the right of a big rig isn't the smartest thing in the world.
When something that weighs 25 times more than you is coming your way, move!
If you see a big rig's turn signal push either the brake or the gas to the floor. The big rig driver may REALLY need that lane. I'm a CDL holder. I've encountered spinning cars, motorhomes with blown tires, cars going 25 mph. You want me to run them over because you're zoning along in the wrong lane? In an urgent situation, I may miss you in hiding in one of the dozen radically vibrating mirrors. (Probably I've been trying to get in the right lane for 10 miles but you've been speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down.)

I hope you are more alert and competent with firearms than you are with vehicles.

It wasn't the truck driver's fault or your family member's fault. Both were your fault. You CHOSE to have that wreck and you CHOSE to drive without a license. You were in Condition White: Oblivious.

If you see a big rig's turn signal push either the brake or the gas to the floor. The big rig driver may REALLY need that lane. I'm a CDL holder. I've encountered spinning cars, motorhomes with blown tires, cars going 25 mph. You want me to run them over because you're zoning along in the wrong lane? In an urgent situation, I may miss you in hiding in one of the dozen radically vibrating mirrors. (Probably I've been trying to get in the right lane for 10 miles but you've been speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down.)

I hope you are more alert and competent with firearms than you are with vehicles.

Thats a little harsh. He said he could not hit his brakes, and it is not smart to speed up as you enter a construction zone. Calm down

pot calling kettle black...blaming him for being a victim then claiming it's not your fault that you have to run someone off the road in an 'urgent situation'. Slow your CDL &^% down so you don't put yourself in that position...
J
editted for spelling

"I could not hit the the brakes because there was a strand of vehicles behind me"

First, what is a "strand"?

Second, What? Since when are you responsible for the vehicles behind you? Seriously?

None of your post makes sense.

You guys are getting bent out of shape for no reason. The incidents leading up to meeting with the LEO have nothing to do with this forum. So, rather than argue, I erased the backstory for your convenience. Hopefully that will stop your whining and nitpicking.

@TJ: I think it happened in Cayuga County. Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the unrestricted permit. From what I understand they are very hard to get regardless of where you are, unless you know people or have law enforcement/armed security training. Who knows though, it was just a thought!

@ Ongoing Freedom:
"Strand of vehicles" = "String of vehicles", many vehicles in sequence with little space between.

Witness similarity: "strand of pearls" vs. "string of pearls"

The LEO happened to spot my CCW permit as I took out my wallet and asked 'what's that'. I told him it was a CCW and he asked if I was carrying. I told I was not and he just said 'oh ok', and then sort of made a joke out of it saying 'well I hope not since you're coming from the airport', then we both kind of laughed. Nothing else was said about it, though I think he did take my CCW back to his car in lieu of my missing drivers ID. Everything worked out though. I think having an unrestricted CCW helped, as they are nearly impossible to get even with impeccable credentials. I also attribute this to being out in the sticks. This would probably not have gone so smoothly downstate on the outskirts of New York City!
Unrestricted permits are the only type issued just 40 miles north of NYC.

@ Ongoing Freedom:
"Strand of vehicles" = "String of vehicles", many vehicles in sequence with little space between.

Witness similarity: "strand of pearls" vs. "string of pearls"

Aah. Thank you for an interpretation. As a guy, even a guy who had never bought his wife said strand of pearls I claim ignorance of the term.

You guys are getting bent out of shape for no reason. The incidents leading up to meeting with the LEO have nothing to do with this forum. So, rather than argue, I erased the backstory for your convenience. Hopefully that will stop your whining and nitpicking!

you wouldn't be the first to be sensitive about criticism concerning parts of an OP that were not thought to be open for such.

I know you don't want any more criticism (sorry, you put it out there) but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone who would rather hit an obstacle in front of them as opposed to avoiding it, even if it meant the jackholes driving behind who follow too close might tap the rear bumper. Maintain a safe driving distance, maintain your lane and drive defensively. Don't drive the cars around you but certainly anticipate their behavior-but not at the expense to your safety.

Poor driving technique is worse than poor firearms technique, from a statistics point of view (frequency of occurrence).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back