New York Question

Levi McClure

Question for all of you New Yorkers. I live in Louisiana and cater a concealed handgun class to folks here. I am required by the state to be registered with the state for my class to be valid. I cater mostly to my military brethren, and one that is interested in my class is moving to New York soon. My question is: Will New York recognize my NRA certification, or do they also require their applicants to be trained by a state certified trainer? If they will accept my training certification, how long is it valid for?

NY recognizes NRA First Steps Pistol, NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Home Firearm Safety as legitimate courses. NYS Penal Law defines an instructor as anyone certified as such by he NRA. Your student will be fine.
HOWEVER!!! I would question his sanity. Who moves to a high tax state like NY unless they've been extradited here?

Unfortunately, when you apply for a handgun license in NY, you will have to take the mandatory safety class here.

Unfortunately, when you apply for a handgun license in NY, you will have to take the mandatory safety class here.

No John, NY will recognize his NRA certification. As long as he teaches an NRA certified course its acceptable. In addition, there's no statutory requirement for training other than Westchester County. If he moves to some counties like Dutchess there is no training requirement.

Monroe county does not require safety classes either.
Jefferson County does require a safety course within one year of applying for permit.

Link Removed

Note, DoNotCarry a handgun in NYS without a valid NYS permit. You will be arrested and chat
Raged with felony possession of a firearm.

A valid NYS permit is NOT valid in NYC,... You will be arrested and charged with a felony.

Do not transit via any NYC airport without a valid NYC pistol permit. You will be arrested and charged with a felony.

In other words... If you don't have a valid NYS pistol permit, contact your county of residence's Sheriff Dept before moving and ask about disposition and storage of your guns.

The rules may be different on post if you sign them over to the unit armory... But check with your unit prior to arrival.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back