New to GA. Couple of CC questions

blarg

Hi,

My wife and I just got our permits. We've been familiarizing ourselves with the laws but have some questions.

I see that bar carry is not legal but what exactly does "bar" mean? Any place that serves alcohol? Places that ONLY serve alcohol? Sitting at the bar itself? I'm wondering about restaurants that serve alcohol or establishments that serve alcohol that one generally doesn't think of as a bar. I know that in most places "no guns" signs are a request, not an obligation but looks like bars are expressly forbidden so I'm just trying to get a clear idea if what constitutes "bar carry".

I know a car is considered an extension of your home, but what about my motorcycle?

Thanks for your advice.

You should go to www.handgunlaws.us and check out Georgia's state laws.

Restaurants that serve alcohol yes
Bars. No
Signs are owners request, no force of law.

check with a lawyer if you have any questions as laws differ from state to state. here in Wa. you can't carry even into a liquor store, my home state of Iowa you can carry into a bar & drink & still be legal up to .08 just like driving. & before I forget there are no courses to take here in Wa. you go in get finger printed & checked by the FBI if it comes back clean here's your permit to carry.

here in Wa. you can't carry even into a liquor store

100% false information. It is perfectly legal in Washington State to carry in a a liquor store. Who provided you with your false information?

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

"RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;"

Ok. I think I get it. If it's a establishment people go to to drink, probably no. If it's an establishment that just happens to serve alcohol (bowling alley, movie theater, Applebee's) it's probably fine.

Now what about bikes? I know with the permit it doesn't matter but I'm just curious if you can carry in your car without a permit because it's considered an extension of your home so what about a motorcycle?

Link Removed This is Georgia's laws in plain english. You can carry in a bar as long as you have the owners permission. Read all the laws so you know what you can and cant do.

Link Removed This is Georgia's laws in plain english. You can carry in a bar as long as you have the owners permission. Read all the laws so you know what you can and cant do.

Yeah, I knew could with permission, but I don't necessarily want to look for the owner and ask for it every time I go somewhere and inform the owner I'm armed. I was only concerned about "bars" because those are specifically mentioned as being a crime for even walking through the door while for other private property the worst thing that can happen even if the owner explicitly prohibits carrying is that I can be asked to leave IF I'm discovered.

If you choose to carry in a restaurant where alcohol is served you may, this is a relatively new law, but you can not drink alcohol while you are carrying. So far, this has not led to the streets running red with blood, as the Liberals claimed it would.

SO much misinformation here!! Go to the source:

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool

TITLE 16 Chapter 11 Article 4 NOTE

This is not everything below. Go to the link above and search and read all sections.

Your short answers:

Church = no
Bar with "peanuts" = no (unless specific permission from owner)
Bar/restaurant = yes (a place you can go and order "real food" but is also has bar
Establishment with no guns sign = a request. Private property. They can ask you to leave and you must or can be charged with criminal trespass. Take your biz elsewhere!!
Airport = yes (outside of security gates in main terminal areas obviously. State law overrides City wish to restrict)
State/County/City parks = yes

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2012 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current Through the 2012 Regular Session ***
TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127 (2012)
§ 16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.

(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.

(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:

(1) In a government building;

(2) In a courthouse;

(3) In a jail or prison;

(4) In a place of worship;

(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease; provided, however, that carrying a weapon or long gun in such location in a manner in compliance with paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of this Code section shall not constitute a violation of this subsection;

(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;

(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.2, and the punishment provisions of Code Section 16-11-127.2 shall supersede the punishment provisions of this Code section; or

(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, except as provided in subsection (i) of Code Section 21-2-413.

(c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) of this Code section; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or give rise to a civil action for damages.

(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(1) To the use of weapons or long guns as exhibits in a legal proceeding, provided such weapons or long guns are secured and handled as directed by the personnel providing courtroom security or the judge hearing the case;

(2) To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun; and

(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127

As for when drinking:

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-134 (2012)

§ 16-11-134. Discharging firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while:

(1) Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;

(2) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or

(3) Subject to the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance, as defined in Code Section 16-13-21, present in the person's blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person's breath or blood.

(b) The fact that any person charged with violating this Code section is or has been legally entitled to use a drug shall not constitute a defense against any charge of violating this Code section; provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this Code section unless such person is rendered incapable of possessing or discharging a firearm safely as a result of using a drug other than alcohol which such person is legally entitled to use.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

If you choose to carry in a restaurant where alcohol is served you may, this is a relatively new law, but you can not drink alcohol while you are carrying. So far, this has not led to the streets running red with blood, as the Liberals claimed it would.

False, it is not illegal to drink alcohol at a restaruant while carrying a gun in Georgia. It is illegal to fire a gun while under the influence of alcohol (with a few exceptions). That is a big difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back