New to concealed handguns - Was thinking Walther PPS, any thoughts?

blam_76

I am totally new to the thought of concealed guns. I am leaning toward the Walther PPS and was wondering if anyone has experience of this gun or any similar that they would recommend.

Thanks

I am totally new to the thought of concealed guns. I am leaning toward the Walther PPS and was wondering if anyone has experience of this gun or any similar that they would recommend.

Thanks

Very good gun. Many love them. Try one in the hand before buying one, though. Some folks have issues with the paddle mag release, and others, like myself, just don't like the feel of it in the hand. I personally ended up buying a Beretta Nano because I liked the fit of it when I gripped it. Every shooter is different.
Don't get me wrong though, I love Walther. My other EDC gun is a PPQ M1.

I have both a .40 S&W and 9 mm. Love the reliability and accuracy of them. I haven't had any difficulty getting accustomed to the paddle magazine release.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using USA Carry mobile app

I own all makes and sizes but carry a full size Glock 17 everywhere I go. Taurus PT111 millenium pro in 9mm would be a great gun for those new to ccw. Beretta Nano is good too.

GUN CARRYING AMERICAN PATRIOT!!!!

Thanks

My advice to you and to every person new to handguns would be to first figure out what you want to do with it. I'm assuming since you said new to "concealed" that you want it for self-defense while going about your day. With this in mind, you now have many other questions to ask yourself: how large a gun are you willing to carry? how will you carry it? will you carry an extra magazine/speed loader along with it? what caliber do you wish to have?

The first few questions can be answered by going down to your local gun shop (LGS) and just holding many firearms and seeing a) which feels best in your hand, and b) how large and heavy are these things that I will have strapped on my belt all day. Once you've narrowed your search down that way, do good quality research into the models that you have left on your plate. This will answer which firearm is good for you.

As far as the reliability of the Walther PPS, it is a great gun. The question though, is it a great gun for you? That, you will be able to determine by following the above advice.

Good luck to you, and a hearty welcome to the forums.

The PPS is a great gun and conceals very nicely. It's my personal carry gun but as stated prior, it may not be for everyone. For me, the paddle mag release is nirvana due to my small fingers and I actually release the mag with my right hand (I'm right handed). On most guns my thumb doesn't come close to reaching normal left sided mag releases. Regardless, try to find one to shoot before making a decision. Other similar options (and cheaper) are: M&P Shield, Kahr CW9, or the Nano. Walther makes excellent guns but they are more expensive comparatively. With that being said, I have thousands of rounds through mine and did have one issue requiring service, but if was promptly fixed by Walther fairly quickly and free of charge.

Level Sights Firearms Training
http://www.levelsights.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back