New to CC - Impressions and Tips

k9ontheway

Improvise-Adapt-Overcome
Hey guys (and gals!), my name is John. I'm a part-time convenience store clerk (gotta pay the bills!), a volunteer paramedic in my small rural/southern town and a freelance photojournalist. I also religiously practice BJJ and am currently a purple belt (I'd HIGHLY recommend everyone here to take up Jiu-Jitsu!).

My father was LEO (deputy) for 26 years before he passed away, so as you can imagine, he handed down quite a bit of knowledge and one-on-one training (force on force, hand to hand, tactical shooting, 3 gun, etc). I have a love of firearms for many reasons, widely ranging from hunting to defensive carry. I carry because my father, along with running EMS, taught me the value of our short lives.

In my final moments, as my killer stands over me, I'd rather have a gun in my hand than a cell phone. I've tried saving too many people that opted for the latter.

I've been OC'ing once a week or so when going to the store or working around the house for over a year now but could never entirely get over the "I'm so exposed" feeling it carries (with me, at least) when you don't have a badge and armor.

After what seemed like an absolute eternity, my CHP arrived and I holstered up my Glock 21 (full size .45auto, for those unfamiliar), although this time I did so with an IWB holster from DeSantis Gunhide and a spare magazine in my left cargo pocket. Top it all off with a button-up shirt, left untucked and the full size Glock quickly disappears, leaving only the faintest of print.

My "coyote" colored TruSpec 24/7 pants are PERFECT for this setup! A Crossbreed SuperTuck is definitely my next purchase on tap.

After my obligatory "Walmart Walk" to buy 100 rounds of Winchester White Box, I stopped by work for some quick chat.

The pandemonium, ensuing chaos and people diving for cover screaming "GUN!" never happened. Big shock, huh?

I'm legally carry for my protection and every texting/talking/walking soul within 100m is oblivious. It's a good feeling!

Even my wife when I returned home that evening remained unaware of the rather large Glock 21 tucked into my waistband at just past 4 o'clock. This made me feel so much better.

As she says, I only see a print because I'm looking for one (because "everyone knows", remember?). She knows my body quite well and yet failed to notice the "oh so obvious" print.

The CCW "Tells"

Subconsciously, I'd imagine all concealed carry beginners (and even some vets at times) give off subtle tells to their possession of a firearm hidden in concealment on their bodies.

This can not only help you stop broadcasting your weapon unknowingly but can also help you spot others concealing around you, legal or not.

Trust me, I'm guilty as charged and am working with my wife to "nip it in the butt" as thoroughly as possible. Having a "spotter" can help you stop almost like catching someone constantly biting their nails.

Things to Stop Doing

"The Shirt Tug"

Grabbing the bottom of your shirt and tugging downward, fluffing, or otherwise subconsciously adjusting your clothing in order to "make sure" your weapon is still concealed is a dead giveaway.

Adjusting Belt When Standing

Whether you do it when you first step out of a vehicle or when standing up from your chair at work, grabbing your belt *through* your shirt and adjusting the "ride" of your pants/belt is another tell. This is particularly evident if you notice one side tends to droop/sag and the adjustment made is to remedy that. The weight of a firearm, especially when using IWB, can pinch your hips or cause sagging and this motion is done in an effort to counteract the weight for proper "ride height".

Elbow Checks

Bumping your forearm/elbow into the grip of your firearm to confirm its position is also another easy tell to spot, particularly when walking or talking to a stranger. When involving a person/contact, this is usually accompanied with "blading" the body away from the person you're in contact with, in an effort to keep your strong side distanced from a possible threat.

You may also notice a person resting their arm on top of an invisible ledge or table near their waist. It's likely not a table, it's the backstrap of a handgun.

Grabbing Shirt/Jacket Leaving a Vehicle

When exiting a vehicle, you may have the tendency to grab your cover garment and hold it down over your carry weapon until you are fully upright.

This is another small indicator of a concealed weapon and it happens more with SOB carry or carry around 9 or 3 o'clock than any other method.

Threat Assessment

Grabbing Front/Side of Shirt (near location of pistol)

Someone who is showing strong signs of aggression along with grabbing one side of their shirt could be getting ready to brandish, draw and fire.

If the guy in front of you at the local convenience store is giving you bad vibes, is showing aggression and has one hand (usually the left) firmly grasping the tail of his shirt (particularly obvious with Mexican Carry), keep a sharp eye open and be ready to react.

Watch Their Eyes

This is particularly for Law Enforcement. When talking to a suspect, if their eyes quickly scan in a particular direction, they're likely ready to take flight and are assessing the situation for risk and possible chance of evasion. They will almost always run in the direction they were just looking.

If face to face in a confrontation and using your words to talk down/de-escalate the situation isn't working, watch their eyes. A sudden fixation on your jaw or throat likely shows where the attack will be directed. Body language is paramount and this includes your own!!

One more useful for LEO, if when approaching a possible suspect/threat within 10m, they immediately turn away from you and look down at their waist, they are likely trying to obscure a weapon and know this. Where they look is usually where it's concealed.

Random Tips

DONT'S

Never carry anything in your strong hand. Ever.

Never shake hands with a possible threat.

Never "give someone your back".

Never sit/stay somewhere in public that doesn't allow you to see everyone around you, entries/exits, etc.

Never talk about your CHP/CCP/CCW in public or to people not in your closest "circle".

Never show off your weapon or with your weapon for that matter.

Never get complacent.

Never let your guard completely down.

Never drink (or do drugs/narcs) and carry.

Never forget you're only human.

DO'S

Train with a close buddy whenever possible.

Seek solid instruction.

Stay Alert, Aware and Oriented.

Always be prepared.

Assume all strangers are possible threats until proven otherwise.

Always remain watchful of children.

Always obey the laws governing your location.

Always check your equipment before heading out.

Always keep your "stuff" (keys, gun, mags, light, phone, utilities, etc) in the SAME location.

Always train and train hard.

Always train realistically.

Always keep your cool and stay calm.

Always have a contingency plan.

Always remember, lethal force is the absolute last resort to stop the threat.

That's all I have for now. Long time lurker, first time poster, JT signing out.

God speed and shoot straight.

Knows everything about it - all of you be sure to follow his advice to the letter, since none of us know a thing about carry.

Maybe I should have titled this "When I was new to CC" or "If you're new to CC" instead. The "tenses" I used in the post may have been misleading/confusing to some but regardless I don't think the snappy comments are necessary. Gotta love the internetz.

To clear the air, I've been carrying daily for a little over 3 years and am slowly working on a few NRA instructor ratings as much as my shoe-string budget will allow.

I'm not an expert but I still feel that I can help people that are new to carrying adjust and lose some universal bad habits. That's all there is to it. Don't like it? It's not problem.

I think some people spend so much time planning their life around self-defense that they miss the joy of living.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back