New Revolver Project

.45acp

Well I got all of my custom gun projects finished, some have been going on for several years and it is time to start a new one.
I have been thinking of a carry revolver project for the past while. Here is what I am considering…
Cal - .41 Mag or .45 Colt (.44 mag may make more sense)
S&W N Frame (What else could it be?):biggrin:
BBL will be cut to 5” (Start with 8 3/8s and work it from there)
Blue Steel
I have spoken with Bill at Cylinder&Slide about doing the work. Here is what I want done.

Bob Hammer (DA Only) and jewel hammer
Slick up the trigger to a 5 LBS DA Stroke
Narrow and smooth the trigger to a combat trigger
Chamfer the cylinder
Tune and Time Cylinder
Yoke and Ejector tune
Barrel squared with frame
Barrel/Forcing Cone squared
Cylinder gap set to.004
Replace the S&W sights with C&S Extreme Duty fixed sights and set them to zero at 25 yards.
Replace S&W grips with Herret Jordan trooper grips
Polish the internals of the gun smooth like a babies butt, it makes for slick DA.

Am I missing anything…..what do you guys think?

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah, got to love Dirty Harry and his .44 mag., I am looking through several online gun sale sites looking for a .41 or 44. I'm not too concerned with the percent of blue remaining or factory box. As long as the gun has not been shoot a lot, has pitting or been neglected. Since it is an N frame, I would like to find one that Harry himself did not own and shoot thousands of hot hand loads through it.
I have always liked the .41mag for SD and would love to build this project up on a Mod 57, but a Mod. 29 build may make better sense just due to the variety of reloading components, bullets available and factory ammo is on every gun store shelf.

Steve

Well I got all of my custom gun projects finished, some have been going on for several years and it is time to start a new one.
I have been thinking of a carry revolver project for the past while. Here is what I am considering…
Cal - .41 Mag or .45 Colt (.44 mag may make more sense)
S&W N Frame (What else could it be?):biggrin:
BBL will be cut to 5” (Start with 8 3/8s and work it from there)
Blue Steel
I have spoken with Bill at Cylinder&Slide about doing the work. Here is what I want done.

Bob Hammer (DA Only) and jewel hammer
Slick up the trigger to a 5 LBS DA Stroke
Narrow and smooth the trigger to a combat trigger
Chamfer the cylinder
Tune and Time Cylinder
Yoke and Ejector tune
Barrel squared with frame
Barrel/Forcing Cone squared
Cylinder gap set to.004
Replace the S&W sights with C&S Extreme Duty fixed sights and set them to zero at 25 yards.
Replace S&W grips with Herret Jordan trooper grips
Polish the internals of the gun smooth like a babies butt, it makes for slick DA.

Am I missing anything…..what do you guys think?

Steve
Sounds like you pretty much got it figured to me (with a few personal preference type exceptions). My vote would be for the .45 Colt. You can find a LOT more factory loaded ammo or components for a .45 Colt than you can a .41 Mag- no matter how fine a round it may be.

I would suggest that you get them to serrate or checker the top of the hammer so if you need to thumb it back, you have a more positive engagement surface than the stock hammer would give you. You can always rock it back with the trigger, catch it with your off thumb and ear it on back.

I've been thinking about a project along those lines for a while but using a 4" full underlugged Model 29 and was considering Clark Custom Guns over in LA (that's Louisiana, NOT Los Angeles or Lower Alabama). I handled a customized Model 25 they did many years ago and was IMPRESSED.

As long as it's smooth, I can deal with a 8 pound DA trigger pull. I've shot much heavier and rougher accurately. I'd also want the trigger thinned, recontoured for easy DA shooting and serrated. That way, when I hook the old booger picker over it, I know there's no excuse for it slipping. Besides, we are talking about setting the gun up for DA shooting. Any SA shooting is an after thought.

Jtg452
Good call on having the bobbed hammer serrated or checkered, I’m going to add it to the list..thanks.
After a day or two to consider calibers…I’ll either build up on a .44 or .45 colt N frame. I really like the .41 mag, but to get the most versatility out of it ya got to hand load almost everything. Whereas with the .44 or .45 Colt a good range of factory ammo is on the shelves for SD loads. I already hand load for the .44 and .45 so working up loads for this particular revolver will be a snap.
I have shot a number of Clarks guns in 1911’s and one revolver set up for steel plate….IMO you will not go wrong using him to build your gun.
I just have to settle on caliber now….44 or .45 ….45 or .44 …and on it goes. It will probably depend on the gun I can find, I’d like to use a gun that was produced in the 70’s.

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back