New Member - Hope your experience will help!

Juan Cruz

Hi every one! I'm Juan Cruz, from Argentina, and I've been looking for some help in determining what should I get. I'm a self defence instructor here and medicine student. I always carry with me a Pepper Spray and a folder knife, but things here are getting more dangerous, that's why I want to buy a pistol, and because I feel the need to know how to shoot, I love training with weapons.

I'm looking for a home defense and self defense firearm, the weapon I've already chosen because my country is really bad economically is a Bersa Ultra Compact, so that I could carry it with me sometimes for example if I have to go out at night (Here you can't carry any firearm legally unless you are with the political party, kind of Mafia).

So, it seems I have to choose between 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, just FMJ. If not, I'd get 9mm with the correct JHP, but I here it's illegal to shoot them.

I've read tons of articles and stuff about these calibers, what I'm looking for is an opinion from someone who can speak from his experience.

Which one do you think should I choose? And why?

Should I get a 9mm and train a lot and focus in shot placement? Would it be better if I get a .40?

Is there a noticeable difference between 9mm FMJ and .40 FMJ?

Greetings from the south!

Almost impossible to give you much useful advice, especially at such long distance and with such a difference in environment. I'd say you are asking the right questions, just maybe not of the right people. Don't let anyone get you into a six sided argument over gun caliber and size... the gun you NEED is the one you have in your hand when someone is trying to kill you. Other than that, it's all relative. Get the largest caliber and heaviest gun you can reliably CONTROL. Learn to hit what you aim at. A larger gun that you can't control well is of little use. And, of course, it takes time and practice to be sure of any of that. In your environment of gun prohibition, that's not going to be easy to do at all. But don't neglect it... do whatever you need to do to practice as much as you can.

I would suggest, if it is possible, to find a gun that uses the most common kind of ammunition available in your area. If your gun uses something you can't buy or find, it's soon going to be useless, no matter how wonderful it is otherwise. Second, make sure you can control the gun well with either hand alone, as well as with both hands. If you train with only both hands, and one of your hands or arms is seriously injured... then what will you do?

Third, don't get into the idea that you'll carry your gun "only" at night, or in a "bad area" or "when you think you'll need it." There isn't an inch of the planet where the risk is zero, and you will very seldom have more than a few seconds warning. Carry all the time, if at all possible.

Good luck!!

Definite difference between 9mm and 40 cal. Recoil with small gun like a Bersa will be abusive for a new owner; not pleasant for an experienced individual. Bersa makes a decent product. 380 with high quality ammo or 9mm would do just fine. As for Argentina's laws regarding ammo, I have no background. If JHP are not acceptable, then use regular ball ammo, like the military does. Guarantee that anyone hit by ball ammo will NOT have a good day. Don't believe me? Check out military cemeteries; many a brave soldier has met his maker due to military-issue ball ammo.

Bersa makes a great product. I have Bersa pistols in 22lr, 380 and 45 acp. I am not a great handgun shooter and I find that practice with the 22 gets me better with the other two. It helps control my flinching. With regular practice I am acceptable at expected ranges with the 45, good with the 380 and better with the 22. I carry either the 380 or the 45 on a regular basis. Like an earlier post said, consider what ammo is available before you commit to the purchase.

Thank you all for your answers! I think I'm going with a 9mm FMJ then, all the ammo is available here, 22lr, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45, as well as .38, .357, .44...what I haven't asked about is the .357 sig.

Would you carry it with you all the time even if it's not legal for you to do so? Would you mind give me your personal reasons for having your pistol with you always?

Would you carry it with you all the time even if it's not legal for you to do so? Would you mind give me your personal reasons for having your pistol with you always?

There is no square inch of the planet where the risk of attack is zero. No criminal (official or freelance) gives advance warning, so you must be ready to respond at any time. It does not matter how good your equipment is, or how well you can use it, if you don't have it with you when you need it.

The discussion of "legality" for you to carry is a different thing, and only you can determine the risks and how much you are willing to chance it. Are people regularly stopped, searched on the streets, looking for guns or other things? That would be a REAL problem anywhere. And, unfortunately, the only real answer I can see is to leave that place and go to one where you will be safe from that happening. They do exist in this world. But only you can determine what you need to do for yourself and any family. It's a tough question, and there are no simple answers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back