New Kel-Tec PF-9

Reneker

Howdy all!
I bought a new Kel-tec PF-9 a few weeks ago. I got the model with the OD green grip. I have put 250 rounds through it to break it in. During my first range trip I had a few FTE's. I had zero issues while firing Blazer aluminum 115 gr FMJ. All the FTE issues were with older hollow point ammo (all brass) from various manufacturers. In my second range trip I used Blazer, PMC and followed up with 2 mags of carry ammo (Hornady CD). There was one FTE with PMC and that was with the first mags. Blazer and Hornady were flawless. The third range trip yielded zero malfunctions.
This is exactly what I have been looking for in a lightweight, thin 9mm. It is simple to field strip and clean. If you guys get your hands on one ($260 new at my local gun shop) be sure to break it in. Kel-Tec recommends 200 rounds.
It's a keeper! sorry, no pics yet.
Have a great day!

Bob
Springdale, Arkansas

I've had mine for a few months now and after putting roughly 250-300 rounds through it at the range, I've added my PF9 to my carry lineup. Like you I had a couple of minor failures early on but it's been flawless since then. It's a nice, inexpensive little gun that I find to be surprisingly accurate.

I've had mine and shot a good 150 rounds in it but it doesn't seem to be really setting down. I still get pretty frequent FTFs in it. When I tried Hollow Point rounds (Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124+P HP) - forget about it - at least one to two FTEs or FTFs per magazine. I know It's not supposed to take a "steady diet" of +P ammo but I only tried a total of 4 magazines of Gold Dot throughout my shooting day - 2 Regulars and 2 short barrel. At first I though I might have been limp-wristing it but It doesn't happen to me on my Glock 19 or LCP. I've heard that doing a fluff and buff (using a grinder with a buffing wheel and polish) on the barrel and especially the feed ramp can help. Anybody have any experience here doing that? Right now I'm not trusting my life to this gun. I'm still sticking with my LCP. I might send it back to Kel tec to figure out what's what. I heard they have great customer service.

Marc,
Send Kel-Tec an email:
Kel Tec CNC
The PF-9 had some issues when they were first released. I still read about folks having some FTE problems with new guns. Kel-Tec has been sending new extractors and springs to folks. I found that my PF9 likes a firm grip and firm wrist. I have not done a fluff and buff just cleaning and lubing between shoots. You may have a real persnickety one. I understand not trusting your life with the gun until it has proven itself. There is a Kel-Tec users group called TheKTOG.org that has lots of good info about cleaning, fluff and buff as well as accounts from people with issues such as yours. It is worth a visit.

Mine has 500+ rounds through it and has run perfectly after the first 100. The only problem with mine is the blued slide. It needs to be oiled every other day or so (when I'm using it for EDC) to keep from rusting. If I had it to do over, I'd have spent the extra money for the HC model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back