New Here

Rhonlynn

Hi everyone.I'm new here. I'm 52, female, and have a 23 year old son who shoots. We live in Kansas City, MO. I decided after a couple of things in our area, that I needed a gun. I read everything there is to know about it, took a couple of classes, and have my Conceal and Carry class coming up on October 19th. I've been meaning to take the C and C class for years.

I used to shoot with my dad, pretty sure it was a 9 mm revolver, Smith and Wesson. My dad passed in 2009, and I've not forgotten that pistol. Today I went to the gun shop with my son, and tried a Smith and Wesson 380, I think it might have been a body guard. It's a small pistol. This was my first time in a range. I jumped every time I heard a gun, but got used to the sound under my hearing protection. I got nervous after shooting it three times, actually shot it slowly, and it didn't fire, which made me more nervous. My aim was excellent, 2 to the center target head, 1 to the center target neck. I was shaking by the time I was done, and we left, without a gun for me. It was crowded in the range. (but the shop, I thought I only liked yarn shops), I could spend hours in it. I like guns for a tool and sport and protection, and don't know why I got nervous. This gun is perfect in my hand an dmy purse. My son was impressed with my shooting and the way I handled the gun, but could sense I was nervous. I'm very comfortable around guns, around my son's 3 guns (one is an AR 15), and feel at ease, until I got it in my hand. I'm sure the word "newb" was written across my forehead. The range director was extra nice to me, and I'm going back tomorrow. I really want the gun, like my dad had one. I need one. There are 2, my son is buying the other.

How do I get over being nervous at the range? The indoor range is expensive, but there's another one with ladies night. The outdoor range is way cheaper. I'm almost ashamed I got so nervous. I want to l earn to shoot so bad.

Welcome to the forum. You will get many responses recommending different types of weapons but you will have to buy what you feel comfortable with. I bought a S&W .38 Chiefs Special and a Bersa .380 for my wife to use. She is somewhat like you being nervous around guns and noise but, after her first situation arose where having a gun paid off for her when out with our kids, she has somewhat calmed down. Try several different weapons and compare the recoil of each until you find what you like and would feel comfortable with. After you purchase your gun, get plenty of practice.

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can get used to something.

Do you have any friends who own outdoor property on which it is permissible to shoot? You can always set up a little shooting range there.

You can have your son make you a shooting stand. Just look them up on YouTube. My favorite one is the one in a LOWES or Walmart bucket. It's lined with some rocks on the bottom, then two PVC pipes are placed in the bucket- flush with the top. One pipe is places vertical and the other- at a slant. Then while you're holding the pipes in place and wearing a face mask to protect breathing dust. Your son will pour some quick set concrete mix until about an inch or so from top. Then water is added (best at a mist setting).

After the cement sets- you can insert 2"x2" planks of wood into the hollow PVC pipes. The vertical pipe can hold things such as paper targets. And the slanted one - allows you to hang fun targets such as a watermelon.

The bucket itself is very sturdy. And if you shoot the 2"x2"- they're very cheap to replace.

You mentioned some cheap outdoor ranges. Why not go to those them? Some of the cheap outdoor ranges by me belong to missouri conservation or what not. They have a couple rules- but once you go there and watch what everyone does- it's very easy. Those outdoor ones that I speak of- are $3/hr per person and free paper targets.

If you want to get your practice in at the cheaper outdoor ranges- you should go soon. Bc as deer season approaches- those places crowd up and the wait can take a long time.

I wouldn't worry. I was nervous the first time I shot at a range (about a decade or more ago). You'll get used to it. And might even surprise yourself the next time you walk in and already feel nerves leaving you after the first two rds.

You mentioned enough in your post about being a good shot. So I'm wondering if you're nervous because of other people watching you- and feel pressure perhaps to shoot well? If so- don't worry about them- just enjoy yourself. If not possible- go during times where the range is more empty. This could all just be stage fright.

I'll go a few times to Lake City out door range here. it's $3 an hour, with targets. I think I was nervous cause I didn't want the brass to fly in my face and scratch my glasses. I have a pair of tinted outdoor range glasses, but not for indoor. Centerfire in Olathe has ladies nights on Wednesdays.It's not legal to shoot a 380 here in Kansas City in the back yard.If it was, I'd have him build a target.

I live, actually in Independence MO, same thing. I have my son, his girlfriend, who shoots, and has her uncle property, who said I could come down any time and practice. Also I can take her to Cernterfire, or Lake City.I have another friend who doesn't shoot but said she'd go with me to Centerfire some Wednesday night.

I want the little Smith and Wesson, but I want to save money and buy the Sigsauer P238...see how it is?? And I like guns, I like them to own. So when I see one, I think I want one. And I want a Smith and Wesson revolver. So I'm going later to buy the Smith and Wesson. It has a lazer which makes aiming simple. (already named her Big Becky Tiny), and I'll start going to the outdoor range. Great tip about deer season.

My son shot a 9mm, it felt like a cannon, and looked huge. I was surprised how big it looked in the range. I think his CZ is a 9. Doesn't look that big here. Thanks so much. I thought I was the only one who actually likes guns, but froze when I shot it. (Oh no, fire....)lol.

I'll go a few times to Lake City out door range here. it's $3 an hour, with targets. I think I was nervous cause I didn't want the brass to fly in my face and scratch my glasses. I have a pair of tinted outdoor range glasses, but not for indoor. Centerfire in Olathe has ladies nights on Wednesdays.It's not legal to shoot a 380 here in Kansas City in the back yard.If it was, I'd have him build a target.

I live, actually in Independence MO, same thing. I have my son, his girlfriend, who shoots, and has her uncle property, who said I could come down any time and practice. Also I can take her to Cernterfire, or Lake City.I have another friend who doesn't shoot but said she'd go with me to Centerfire some Wednesday night.

I want the little Smith and Wesson, but I want to save money and buy the Sigsauer P238...see how it is?? And I like guns, I like them to own. So when I see one, I think I want one. And I want a Smith and Wesson revolver. So I'm going later to buy the Smith and Wesson. It has a lazer which makes aiming simple. (already named her Big Becky Tiny), and I'll start going to the outdoor range. Great tip about deer season.

My son shot a 9mm, it felt like a cannon, and looked huge. I was surprised how big it looked in the range. I think his CZ is a 9. Doesn't look that big here. Thanks so much. I thought I was the only one who actually likes guns, but froze when I shot it. (Oh no, fire....)lol.

I was just in Olathe about a year ago for a wedding where the reception was held in a beautiful horse stable barn- on a sprawling gorgeous estate. It is a nice quintessential town.

CZ75 is one of my favorite pistols. However I was lucky to get my hands on a Browning Hi Power (which is what the CZ75 is modeled after).

To help brass from flying on you- Wear a hat with a cap- or a visor. This is why you see people with hats on. Also, wear something that completely covers your chest (such as a shirt thin jacket that zips up right to your collarbone) - so that you don't have to deal with brass possibly going down your shirt- Ouch!

I might be mistaken- but if you're consistently getting brass on your face- you might be holding your pistol wrong- and not straight arming it enough. But i'm not an instructor nor do I have the experience of the better shooters on here- so don't take my word on it. That was JIMO- with an emphasis on the MO.

When you figure out what you would like to purchase- (best done after visiting a couple places and shooting the rentals) - go to SlickGuns.com to see what they have. IME- online has ALWAYS been cheaper than in store. Often enough, by as much as $75-$150- if you compare it to places such as Cabelas, or even LGS. To purchase online- look up a list of local gun dealers- aka FFL. This can be a store that can receive your gun for you, or an individual who is in the business of dealing guns. Often, individuals do this right out of their home. My dealer does. Its very safe- to my knowledge, but you can always bring your son. You call the FFL phone numbers and ask how much they charge for a transfer. Transfer: because you're not allowed to have a gun shipped to your home. You must have it shipped to a dealer, who transfers it to you. My FFL charges $20 per transfer. After you find a FFL you like (usually $$ and location are the top two things to consider, followed by hours of availability)- get his address, phone number and email address.

After purchasing gun online- you enter your shipping(must match DL address) and billing address in addition to credit card enough. Yes- your shipping address. Then - in the correct box- you will provide info for your FFL. After this- forward your purchase confirmation that the store emails you- to your FFL's email- and provide the FFL with the store's fax number- so that they can fax their dealer license number and etc.

Now- when I purchase online- I don't even call my dealer. I purchase, then email him the details after. Days later- he calls me- I go over there- he shows me the package- then I fill out the form 4473. He runs it and then off I go with my new toy in about 10 minutes. (the first two times- he checked my DL- to make sure my listed shipping address matches my DL). This is how it happens in MO. I'm from St. Louis.

If you don't like your son's 9- which I'm assuming is a 9 Luger (9mm x 19mm).
Perhaps you can try a .380? The dimensions for that is 9mm x 17mm (its 2mm shorter than the more popular 9 Luger).
Shoot always before you buy.

So that's how that works with FFL? thanks! I had no idea how that worked. We decided not on the little Smith and Wessons. There was something wrong with how they fired.. I've seen some great deals online. My son has a 9mm CZ, not sure the model. The Smith and Wessons were .380's. The 9mm they had looked like a cannon. lol.

I am so dumb, I had no idea you don't have to cock the gun, it shoots the rounds automatically as long as you pull the trigger, until they are done. I really need to practice on something before October 19th. Boy do I feel dumb. But I like shooting, and I'll feel better about it once we go back. It was at a gun shop in Independence, MO.

Not dumb- just new.

And you're actually correct- when you're referring to single action semiautomatics and revolvers (I've never shot a revolver. So the second one is a guess).

For instance. A 1911- must be cocked (and unlocked) before being shot.

The action you're speaking of is probably a DA/SA pistol aka double action/single action. If you leave it uncocked- the trigger pull is heavy for the first pull bc it's in DA. Then subsequent trigger pulls are now in SA- which are lighter trigger pulls- and the hammer has been cocked from the initial trigger pull.

There are some pistols that are DAO aka double action only.

I started going to shoot at the range about 4 months ago. Each time I go I feel less nervous and more comfortable handling a firearm. Personally I own a revolver with a 4 inch barrel and a 9MM with 4 inch barrel and recently bought my wife a 22 rifle so she can learn to shoot. If you haven't figured it out yet, larger guns recoil less, are more accurate, and generally hold more rounds than the cute little pocket pistols. But as others have stated, try several guns and buy the one(s) you're comfortable with. Since you say you like guns, you'll probably wind up owning several if not a gun store.:sarcastic:

As far as ranges, I went to an indoor range a few times, then discovered that there's an outdoor range 5 minutes from my home where the police practice at during the week and the rest of us can go to on weekends. I like the outdoor one much more. You and Chen are lucky on the price - It's $10 per person to go to the range, though they have season passes for around $200 which I plan on getting next season that allows unlimited weekend access (this place closes Dec - March when we have the colder weather).

And, since hunting was mentioned - the outdoor range is in one of our parks (Indianapolis) and the deer population there and in the area has grown so much that the city has decided to let certain people hunt the deer in the park once hunting season kicks off.

I just joined this forum a couple months ago, so I'm fairly new here too - welcome.

I just figured out how to get used to it. I will go to the indoor range by myself (more help, and gun rental there.) to rent the p238, get used to it. Rent a couple others. Buy the one I feel good with, then go to the outdoor range after that. I like looking at Sigsauers. Heck the gun shop feels like an art store. That is weird, but that's how I felt. I left there thinking I should get my FFL, after I read about it. Not doing that. I don't have a space for inspection. If I go when the range is less crowded, I will be better. Kind of like, I am a nurse. I didn't start nursing school knowing how to give a Heparin shot, and it scared me my first 2 times. Then though it made me nervous, I knew how to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back