New FBI Qualification Course

mappow

After reading the article (The New FBI Qualification Course - USA Carry) and printing out the QUAL sheet. I will be going to the range tomorrow to see if I can qualify. Anyone else try to qual???? Haven't seen a thread started as yet. I'm assuming no.
•Target used is the QIT-99
•Course consists of a total of 60 rounds
•Each round counts as one point
•Any hits inside the target area count
•You must draw from concealment for every string of shots
•Passing score for Agents is 48 out of 60
Stage 1: 3 yard line
•3 rounds in 3 seconds using your strong hand only
•3 rounds in 3 seconds using your strong hand only
•3 rounds using strong hand only, switch hands, 3 rounds using support hand only all in 8 seconds
Total of 12 rounds for Stage 1
Stage 2: 5 yard line
From here on out, all shooting is done with two hands
•3 rounds in 3 seconds
•3 rounds in 3 seconds
•3 rounds in 3 seconds
•3 rounds in 3 seconds
Total of 12 rounds for Stage 2
Stage 3: 7 yard line
•4 rounds in 4 seconds
•4 rounds in 4 seconds
•Have two magazines loaded with four rounds each. Fire four rounds, reload, fire another four rounds in 8 seconds.

Total of 16 rounds for Stage 3

Stage 4: 15 yard line•3 rounds in 6 seconds
•3 rounds in 6 seconds
•4 rounds in 8 seconds
Total of 10 rounds for Stage 4
Stage 5: 25 yard line
This stage involves the use of a barricade/cover)
•Move to cover and fire 2 rounds standing, then 3 rounds kneeling all in 15 seconds
•Move to cover and fire 2 rounds standing, then 3 rounds kneeling all in 15 seconds
Total of 10 rounds for Stage 5

WOW....I thought I was fast but from concealment to discharge 3 rounds in three seconds isn't as easy as one would think. Plus I always want to bring my weak hand up to support, especially in STAGE 1. I've always either qual'd on a S&W mod 27 or shot a 1911 Spfld and after the initial shot from clearing the holster and forearm level it was second nature to bring the weak hand up to support and center.
Another issue with me is I have always trained as double tap, evaluate, double tap if necessary. HARD to break old habits. I also did not have a QIT-99 target. Bottom line is I did not qualify per standards in this qual. Guess I'll have to train some more to effectively handle a firearm in today's society.
SIDE NOTE is that the wife and I had a dam good time at the range. (out doors, 67 acres, 15 different ranges to play on) Even busted off a few .06 round from my Garand on the hundred Yrd range. Everyone stopped and came by to see what all the noise was about...

That's a tough qualify with a civilian cc. Tried it with a jacket and my belt holster and made the time but with a T shirt out IWB holster I was a tick slow.

Someone trying to get three rounds off from concealment in three seconds is going to get Glock Leg.

I think you folks underestimate yourself. I am able to get a shot off accurately in 1.6 seconds out of a LE double retention holster. (Thumb snap and jerk gun forward out of second retention and then pull out of holster). Concealed under an open button up shirt with a OWB holster, I was able to do it in 1.7 seconds. I was surprised I was slower since I didn't have the double retention, but apparently moving that shirt out of the way takes some tenths of a second.

Also, for the 15yd and 25 yd quals, notice how much time they are given. If you are unholstered in 2 seconds you still have 4 full seconds to get off 3 rounds at 15 yds, and 6 full seconds to get off 4 rounds at 15 yds. This may seem quick, but it's really a lot of time. The 25 yard qual is even more time.

When qualifying for our County Sheriff Reserves, we had 40 seconds to do 8 rounds at 25 yards. Most of us were completed in under 20 seconds. You either can make the shot, or you can't. It's that simple.

Also, note, that an FBI agent can miss all 25 yd shots and 2 15 yard shots and still qualify! 30 points are from 7 yards or less. If you are familiar with your firearm, chances are you aren't even looking through your sites at those ranges. Now you just need to get 12 of the next 20 rounds in to qualify from 15 and 25 yards.

Remember folks this isn't bulls-eye shooting, it's hit the frame of a person shooting (from eyes down to diaphragm, if it's in it's a point).

Someone trying to get three rounds off from concealment in three seconds is going to get Glock Leg.

You're kidding, right? I mean, really. This is a joke. Right? 'Cause I've seen it done and nobody I've seen has any holes other than what they started with. I've done it on occasion myself and have not once had to apply compression wraps, tourniquets, or Quick-Clot.

Except for the single- and support-hand, this isn't that much different from Front Sight's training, which revolves around the concept of 2 rounds from concealment in 1.5 seconds.

The course of fire above is the basic qualification course for federal law enforcement officers.

The 3 rounds in under 3 seconds is not that hard, the target is only at 3 yards. At this distance you can just point and shoot and still hit center mass. The key to these law enforcement qualifications is speed. You should be able to unholster you weapon in under 1 second. A technique that is not taught to the everyday shooter is to start pulling the trigger once you get your weapon at the high ready. This will make you faster. Let me explain. I am right handed. With my right hand I use my thumb to sweep my jacket back and begin to unsnap and unholster my weapon. With my left hand I raise it to (the box) chest level. Than I raise my weapon up (into the box) to my chest and get a good grip on my weapon while trying to pick up the front sight. Than once I have a good grip I am already beginning the trigger squeeze while I am pushing the weapon out to full presentation. By the time the weapon gets out to full presentation (Arms all the way out) the 1st round has gone off. This technique will take hours and hundreds of rounds to build muscle memory but it works. I once had to do all this and shoot a target at 7 yards all in under 1.15 seconds (1 round from a concealed carry).

http://youtu.be/2JsUaIIPLzA

That's a tough qualify with a civilian cc. Tried it with a jacket and my belt holster and made the time but with a T shirt out IWB holster I was a tick slow.

Thank goodness the concealed carry only crowd says all you need is the Element of Surprise! :ph34r:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back