New 9mm round

Gatherer

Has anyone seen the 9mm R.I.P. round yet? Looks to be a pretty darned devastating close up defensive round!!

AT $12 per round it is not awesome.

You might as well sling a Barrett over your shoulder and spend $3 per round. Four shots from a .50 cal rifle versus 1 shot from the new and improved, ultra devastating, bad guy dreading, fantabulous, exciting, revolutionary RIP round. *rolls eyes*

Edit: Why do I trust what I read when I know better? Someone on another thread said these were $244 for a box of 20. They are actually only $44 for a box of 20. http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/G2-Research-RIP-9MM-96-Grain-Hollow-Point-Ammo-p/g2rip9.htm

This puts them at just over $2 per round. Still expensive but not nearly as much as has been purported.

Last edited:
We have a guns how down here on the first. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. (and .22's etc.)

We have another one near here a little less than a month from now. Maybe by then, they'll actually have some.
I'm anxious to see how much it actually costs. From what I've read, it's going to be over $2.00 a round.
It says it will go through several layers of denim. That's not really a lot, is it?

I pick up some 300+ rounds of the Federal HST LE 147gr +p the other week which I was looking to get for some time now.

AT $12 per round it is not awesome.

You might as well sling a Barrett over your shoulder and spend $3 per round. Four shots from a .50 cal rifle

I don't think I'd care to lug a .50 cal around for very long. The M14 got pretty heavy after a while.

Not quite as expensive as some people have been saying. Of course not in stock either, but you can sign up to be notified. Box of 20 for $44.00.

Link Removed

You might as well get them while they are hot!
I predict that they will go the way of the Black Talon (banned!) once the antis find out how DEADLY they are....
Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I don't think I'd care to lug a .50 cal around for very long. The M14 got pretty heavy after a while.

The point is, the RIP round does not do more damage than a quality .40 of .45 JHP, so why spend the exorbitant cost for it. If you want to spend that much on ammo, use something that is worth the cost. Of course you don't want to carry a Barret around. But if we were pricing ammo and its effects, the .50 BMG round wins for the money, as does the .40 and the .45.

The RIP round is a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...searchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/

Interesting article wolf. As it stated.....they need more time and results. The $$$$$ is probably as much a deterrent as the round itself. Still awesome though.

The point is, the RIP round does not do more damage than a quality .40 of .45 JHP, so why spend the exorbitant cost for it. If you want to spend that much on ammo, use something that is worth the cost. Of course you don't want to carry a Barret around. But if we were pricing ammo and its effects, the .50 BMG round wins for the money, as does the .40 and the .45.

The RIP round is a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less.

G2 Research's RIP Ammo - Ballistic Testing, Phase One | The Truth About Guns

Well, I still want to try it, just to see what kind of hole it makes. And because it will piss off a liberal.

Interesting article wolf. As it stated.....they need more time and results. The $$$$$ is probably as much a deterrent as the round itself. Still awesome though.

What's awesome about it? It costs more than conventional ammo. It breaks apart in many pieces and can go in God knows how many directions. It, as the video announcing it showed, can actually break off and fly out of the intended target making it more of a liability for the the shooter. It has feeding problems in some firearms.

What exactly is awesome about this round? Ooooh, yeah, it looks cool. /sarcasm/

In my world form follows function as a rule. But to each their own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back