Need to Hurry the "Restaurant Carry" Bill

SCfromNY

I was never comfortable leaving my handgun in the car when eating out. But in the back of my mind was always,"Well if stolen it will cost me to buy a new one, however that is better than breaking the law." Our new world now is different should I lose my carry gun by theft how will I replace it. The "out of stock" list for guns and ammo is unbeleivable. So do I take a gun that I value less or the gun I am most comfortable with. This is NOT about money but the ability to replace your firearm.

We need this law passed NOW!.

What is that bill?? We can carry in my State in restaurant. Even if they serve alcohol as long as minors are aloud in.

What is that bill?? We can carry in my State in restaurant. Even if they serve alcohol as long as minors are aloud in.

Looks like Mervin & ironmike really wanted to get their points across!

I'm doing all I can on this. Regularly urging my senator to switch from Nay to Aye.

As I have said several times keep your weapon concealed, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT, eat your dinner and leave, as also it has been said its not a legal issue, its just the resturant dont want guns, so they put up a sign, at most they can ask you to leave, then if you do not you can be arrested for trespass,

As I have said several times keep your weapon concealed, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT, eat your dinner and leave, as also it has been said its not a legal issue, its just the resturant dont want guns, so they put up a sign, at most they can ask you to leave, then if you do not you can be arrested for trespass,
You may wanna check the books on that one. Last time I read it (last week) SC law states that carrying into a restaurant that serves alcohol or carrying into a place with a legal sign is subject to up to 30 days in jail, up to a $2,000 fine, or both.

But the question you have to ask is, say something were to happen that you could have prevented had you bee carrying, and a loved one died as a result. If you would be willing to pay the fine and serve the time to get them back, then use your discretion.

I'd give 16-23-465 a read.

"a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked. "

You may wanna check the books on that one. Last time I read it (last week) SC law states that carrying into a restaurant that serves alcohol or carrying into a place with a legal sign is subject to up to 30 days in jail, up to a $2,000 fine, or both.

But the question you have to ask is, say something were to happen that you could have prevented had you bee carrying, and a loved one died as a result. If you would be willing to pay the fine and serve the time to get them back, then use your discretion.

I guess there are some areas, where it may not be exactly legal, and if you want to be a boy scout, great, cannot fault you for that and yes much discretion has to be used, but if a BG came up to your table with a gun or knife and stuck it in your wifes face and demanded your money, a safe thing to do would be to give him your money, but this is no garrenty that he would still not shoot, at this point what would you rather have in your pocket, a gun or a cell phone, something else say your daughter was a casher in that same resturant, some SOB holds her up whould you not like to think there was a CCW holder there that would act and poss prevent your kid from being shot, I agree you may take a big chance if you use your weapon in a place that legaly forbids it, but personaly I would still want that choice, and even that SC may have that law most states do not, legaly the sign is a window decoration,

No disagreement on any of that as long as folks know the risk.

Have you sent emails and made phone calls regarding S 308 so we can fix the situation? If so, thanks.

I'd give 16-23-465 a read.

"a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked. "

You should read the whole passage...What you posted makes it illegal for even a police officer to carry during lunch/dinner, i.e. off duty and their for official reasons.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

I have read the whole section. I wasn't aware we were talking about police officers. Someone suggested that carrying in a restaurant wasn't illegal, simply a violation of the restaurants policy. I was saying they might want to read the law before offering that advice.

Frankly, I think it should be illegal for a police officer to carry in a restaurant as long as it is for me, but that's another whole discussion.

Any chance you could link this law? I'd like to discuss it with my senator.

Washington State Law (which is the law being asked for):

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

In Washington state we don't even have any law that prohibits carrying a firearm while consuming alcohol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back