Need help in CT.

wild eyed willy

My neice has been shooting the squirrels who are invading her home on her own property with a pellet/BB gun... The neighbor called the state police and they sent a crusier out to the home... The end result is my neice was told she can't shoot the squirrels if the neighbor does not approve... My neice is 16 or 17...
They own the home in CT..... Can anyone offer any help or guidance?

I'm new to CT, but I don't see how if just because the neighbor 'doesn't approve' that anything could legally be done (at least as far as that aspect goes). What if they don't approve of the color car they have? Or her haircut? Same difference.

Sounds more like a scare tactic, then an actual Law. If it is an actual law they should be able to reference it so you can have a look. Also tell the nosey neighbor to mind their own business unless the neighbor is going to foster the squirrels on their own property.

The simple solution is to ask for the code number of the actual law she is breaking. Request it in writing via email so you have clear proof of requesting justification and of their response

Never gonna stop those squirrels. Even if you pop one another just moves in to his area. Damn near the hardest pest to stop is a bird-food-eatin squirrel. Better to set out a bird feeder just for the squirrels... farther away from the house and with easy access. Fill only that feeder for a while. Eventually they'll be trained to leave others alone and seek food at that spot.

The right cat(s) will get rid of them. I had two bad ass hunters that cleared the neighborhood of squirrels so well that my neighbors said it took about 2 years after we moved before they started seeing them again!

There is a season for grey squirrels.

Species:
Gray Squirrel

Season Dates
Jan 1 - Feb 28
Sep 1 - Sep 30
Oct 15 - Dec 31 1/2

Also, there is the 500 ft rule, if she was closer than 500 ft (and in season) she can't do it. Plus, she needs a hunting license. A pellet gun falls under:

Sec. 26-1. Definitions. (12) "Hunting" means pursuing, shooting, killing and capturing any bird, quadruped or reptile and attempting to pursue, shoot, kill and capture any bird, quadruped or reptile, whether such act results in taking or not, including any act of assistance to any other person in taking or attempting to take any such animal.

Sec. 26-27. Licenses required for hunting, trapping and fishing. Exceptions. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), (c), (e), (f), (g) or (h) of this section and other provisions of this chapter providing specific license exemption, no person shall take, hunt or trap, or shall attempt to take, hunt or trap, or assist in taking, hunting or trapping, any wild bird or mammal and no person more than sixteen years of age shall take, attempt to take, or assist in taking any fish or bait species in the inland waters or marine district by any method or land marine fish and bait species in the state, regardless of where such marine fish or bait species are taken, without first having obtained a license as provided in this chapter. No person under sixteen years of age shall hunt or trap, except as provided in section 26-38.

26-66-1. Behavior and actions of hunters
(a) The method of taking wild birds and wild quadrupeds by hunting shall be restricted to firearms, high velocity air guns using a single ball or pellet type projectile, and compound, long, or recurved bow. In designated areas, by special permit, the commissioner may allow the use of modified versions of air guns or archery implements to achieve wildlife management objectives. No arrow or projectile which is coated with or contains any drugs, poison or known tranquilizing substance may be used or possessed while engaged in archery hunting.

...hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back