Need an open carry holster option.

ajr2820

I am going to attend a tactical training class and it requires an OWB holster and I thought some of my open carry brothers could help me out. I normally carry concealed in a crossbreed supertuck. Which positive retention holster would offer the adjustability to carry in the same body position, offer positive retention, and cost @ $30-40? I have some thoughts, but will not cloud your responses by stating them. Any help?

Unkle Mikes makes a version of the Blackhawk Serpa, it isn't a bad option and is less expensive than anything Blackhawk puts their name on. Have fun at the class.

Go to PHLSTER.com and tell him James from VeteranHolster.com sent you.

James Singer
www.veteranholster.com and on FaceBook at Veteran Holster

I am going to attend a tactical training class and it requires an OWB holster and I thought some of my open carry brothers could help me out. I normally carry concealed in a crossbreed supertuck. Which positive retention holster would offer the adjustability to carry in the same body position, offer positive retention, and cost @ $30-40? I have some thoughts, but will not cloud your responses by stating them. Any help?

Safariland ALS. Costs about the same as the Serpa. It has a lever near the thumb rather then a button you push near the trigger.
Link Removed

Went with a 5.11 Tactical Thumb Drive holster. Very similar to the Serpa (which I was leaning towards from the start), but I found the thumb release more comfortable than the trigger finger release on the Serpa. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Safariland ALS. Costs about the same as the Serpa. It has a lever near the thumb rather then a button you push near the trigger.
Link Removed

Stay away from the serpa, they're not allowed in many training classes.

Link Removed

Blackhawk Serpa CQC with matte finish. At $49 it's a little over your price range but I love mine.

Agreed. I have the Serpa for my M&P40. Was originally looking for a polyester holster but decided on this one. Glad I did.....great holster. I paid $35.00 for mine at Cabela's.

Here you go...Link Removed

Link Removed

"Yeah, well, they blamed the glock too for all their negligent discharges. I’m sorry but after a tour with CBP they are the last ones I want to be standing by next to the clearing barrel anything they say is bad or poor, I have to take with a grain of salt. Remember most trainees have never held a firearm in their life and have problems using a simple thumb break….training, training and more training. The sustainment training on the North border is not conduessive to what they receive at FLETC. Just my two cents" - Joe [provided from one of your google links]

Link Removed

Honestly don't have anything like the issue seen in those videos with my Serpa. With my straight out index finger I'm able to easily press the button to release the firearm without curling the finger and when I draw it ends up above the trigger on the receiver exactly as it should. I can understand why some would have this issue, I do not however.

Honestly don't have anything like the issue seen in those videos with my Serpa. With my straight out index finger I'm able to easily press the button to release the firearm without curling the finger and when I draw it ends up above the trigger on the receiver exactly as it should. I can understand why some would have this issue, I do not however.

No one had issues, until they had an issue. The Serpa is a BAD design and banned by most well known Instructors and Schools, including the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Denial, it's not a river in Egypt. You pays your nickle you takes your chances.

No one had issues, until they had an issue. The Serpa is a BAD design and banned by most well known Instructors and Schools, including the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Denial, it's not a river in Egypt. You pays your nickle you takes your chances.

Or it is a bad design for SOME people, and as because of accidents they have had it's considered "bad" as a whole. When I hit the button I use the flat of my finger, why some people end up curling in a way to get their finger on their trigger I cannot say as I can't seem to get myself to replicate it. Trust me, I've tried... Say what you wish about the holster, or if you wish to buy me a different one go ahead, unlike some I don't have $150 to spend on a new one. The Serpa works well for me and it appears others in this thread as well.

Or it is a bad design for SOME people, and as because of accidents they have had it's considered "bad" as a whole. When I hit the button I use the flat of my finger, why some people end up curling in a way to get their finger on their trigger I cannot say as I can't seem to get myself to replicate it. Trust me, I've tried... Say what you wish about the holster, or if you wish to buy me a different one go ahead, unlike some I don't have $150 to spend on a new one. The Serpa works well for me and it appears others in this thread as well.

The Safariland 6377 is under $50, it's a better design, better/stronger construction and to my knowledge no one has shot themselves drawing from one.

No one who's shot themselves using the Serpa had problems either, that is until they shot themselves.

Lot's of people swear by their Hi Points as well. I wonder if they make a Serpa for a Hi Point.

If you're happy with your Serpa more power to you, it's your leg.

Link Removed

Chris Cerino of Top Shot fame shot himself through the leg during training after the show while using a SERPA

The Safariland 6377 is under $50, it's a better design, better/stronger construction and to my knowledge no one has shot themselves drawing from one.

No one who's shot themselves using the Serpa had problems either, that is until they shot themselves.

Lot's of people swear by their Hi Points as well. I wonder if they make a Serpa for a Hi Point.

If you're happy with your Serpa more power to you, it's your leg.

Link Removed

Chris Cerino of Top Shot fame shot himself through the leg during training after the show while using a SERPA

I am not denying that people have had problems with it, and I will take a look at that holster. However part of me also wonders if the issue could be the gun the holster holds. My XD-40sc has a rather thick frame right where the release is and my index finger rests right on the flat. I know Glocks have a smaller area there. Could it be just that the fingers are slipping easier on other types of handguns? Also, the general design of the subcompact holster seems to lend itself easier to the flat finger draw than the full size holsters. There's a channel for the finger that's not there on the full size ones.

I am not denying that people have had problems with it, and I will take a look at that holster. However part of me also wonders if the issue could be the gun the holster holds. My XD-40sc has a rather thick frame right where the release is and my index finger rests right on the flat. I know Glocks have a smaller area there. Could it be just that the fingers are slipping easier on other types of handguns?

I know this has happened with the Glock, 1911, M&P and the XD. It's happened to numerous well trained shooters as well as newbies, makes it very hard to discount that a problem exists.

I know this has happened with the Glock, 1911, M&P and the XD. It's happened to numerous well trained shooters as well as newbies, makes it very hard to discount that a problem exists.

Do we know anything about the Serpa models that it's happened on? Again, it seems like there are a few different ones with regards to how the release is accessed. On the full size holsters it seems that there is no relief on the top side of the button for the finger to naturally depress into. The subcompact ones have that.

Link Removed
-- see the groove at the top there? (this is the one I have)

Link Removed
-- this one doesn't have it

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back