need advise

lv2bowkill

i legally posses a handgun in new york city where i am a resident. target permit NOT CARRY. i also recently received my florida concealed carry permit. i am driving to Kentucky and florida on vacation next month, where i am under the understanding that i can legally carry my firearm. when going through states that do not honor florida lic. i will lock firearm in my luggage . Is this correct and lawful???

I may also stop in south carolina for a night on my way home. it is my understanding that they do not honor my florida permit because i am a non resident. What do i do with my firearm during my stay?

any advise would be very helpful

Federal Firearms Transportation

There are 3 things to remember when traveling through states where you are unlicensed to carry.
1. Must prove legal in origin AND destination
2. Firearm unloaded and securely encased. Technically, if in a trunk that would qualify. But to be safe, place firearm in one locked container, and ammo in a separate locked container (Hard case). If vehicle without a trunk, in the furthest reach of the vehicle. Console and glove box would not qualify.
3. Travel must be continuous through the unlicensed state or city. No dinner, hotel, visit etc. I would plan so that you didn't even have to stop for gas.
To read more in depth, reference the McClure-Volkmer Act 1986.
Hope it helps. Safe trip!

i legally posses a handgun in new york city where i am a resident. target permit NOT CARRY. i also recently received my florida concealed carry permit. i am driving to Kentucky and florida on vacation next month, where i am under the understanding that i can legally carry my firearm. when going through states that do not honor florida lic. i will lock firearm in my luggage . Is this correct and lawful???

I may also stop in south carolina for a night on my way home. it is my understanding that they do not honor my florida permit because i am a non resident. What do i do with my firearm during my stay?

any advise would be very helpful

My understanding: unless you are licensed to carry in that locale you should keep the firearm unloaded in a locked case in your trunk. Magazines should also be unloaded. Ammo should be stored in a seperate container from the firearms. Do not stop for any reason in a locale you are not licensed to carry, including gas, bathroom, eat, sleep, flat, etc. Interstate transportation allows you to transport from one legal to another.

It depends on what states you will travel through. The most restrictive states you will still be safe if you follow the Interstate Transport of Firearms Code (18 USC 926 A) which the link for reading is here:
18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Intestateccw went a bit over board. Keeping them in locked boxes and in the trunk is overkill. Read the code for yourself.

Also, plan your route and look up each states laws concerning carrying within a vehicle. Some states are much more lenient.

In addition many of the states that you will travel through honor your FL license as a non-resident: OH, IN, KY, WV, VA, DE, TN, NC, MS, AL, GA, and of course FL. SC does not, but according to Stumpjumper he says you can carry it in the glovebox.

Again, look up the laws of each state you travel through. For example, you may open carry in PA without a license, but not concealed. You may not carry openly within the vehicle in PA without a license to carry in PA though.

Use this site's interactive maps to help get you started.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back