Need advice please

Kgrin

Hi there! I am new here and would really appreciate some advice from you all! I should probably give you a little background story, and I apologise in advance if this turns into a book, I will try and keep it short :)

I grew up in a household with a sister and my dad that had really wanted boys. We grew up riding motorcycles, shooting, hunting, fishing, etc etc. I have shot many guns, up until my early 20's, but as soon as I had children I quit and honestly haven't thought about it until the last year and I'm now 46! That is a huge gap in between, and what started me thinking about it again is my little home town has become so rediculous on the crimes that are happening. I honestly don't like feeling helpless if someone was to break into my house with the hubby not home. I won't even go to the store at the corner of Main Street at night because of our crime and drug issues and moving now isn't a option. Our area has become over run with drug users that steal everything that isn't bolted down. I know crime is everywhere, but it is worse then it was say even as little as a year ago. Our yard and shed was broken into a couple of months ago, so I don't want to put this off anymore, and I'm not putting it off because I hate guns, I actually enjoy shooting, but the expense is an issue, and then I have a couple of health issues also, so I need to really think about this thoroughly. Arthritis is the main thing, my hands are not crippled at this point but who knows what the future will bring you know?
My thoughts were starting with a Ruger SR22. I know it's not a defensive weapon, but the purpose would be getting to know and be comfortable with shooting again. I'm treating myself as if I've never been around a gun before, even though I was perfectly comfortable with a .357, I have to be realistic and understand that I have limitations right now. I'm also planning on taking classes as well, just not certain when that is going to happen because of scheduling issues. What I really would like to have is a XDS 9mm for a cc, either the 3.3 or 4 inch barrel, but who knows, I just might change my mind on that after I rent one, but it seems the perfect fit for me.
Anyway now that this has turned into a book that I promised I wouldn't write, do you think I'm heading in the right direction, or is there another I should consider? I really appreciate any advice that you all could give me :)

Welcome!
It sounds to me as if you are right on track, go to your local range and try as many different pistols and revolvers as you can until you find what feels best for you. My wife shoots both my .45 1911 and my S&W .44 Magnum, but her weapon of choice is a 9mm Glock. I can't really speak on the SR22, but if you are going to try a variety of guns, and think you may want a 9mm, why not just wait and buy what you will eventually carry instead of buying the Ruger and then a 9mm on top of it? Not sure where you are located, but here in NY I still can't even find .22 ammunition, which pretty much precludes the old ".22s are cheap to shoot" argument. Of course I say that only because you mentioned expense being an issue, personally I am all for having as many guns as you want. Whatever you decide, good luck!

As many point out in the threads, the best way to decide what to get is to handle the guns in question. This means going to a range that also rents pistols and trying them out.

As you pointed out that you have issues with your hands look for pistols that do not require dexterity or strength in your hands. Look for guns that fit your hands. When they feel right, and you can work the actions adequately, you may have found what you are looking for. Then try them out on the firing line. See how the recoil feels and how well you can manipulate them.

I do know that the Walther PK380 is well suited to smaller hands, that the slide is very easy to work, and that the recoil feels minimal. It is one that I would recommend you look at. Also, since your hands are going to be an issue consider revolvers. Though I don't particularly like revolvers, you may find that they work well for your situation.

You need to find what you feel comfortable with, and that you like.

As many point out in the threads, the best way to decide what to get is to handle the guns in question. This means going to a range that also rents pistols and trying them out.

As you pointed out that you have issues with your hands look for pistols that do not require dexterity or strength in your hands. Look for guns that fit your hands. When they feel right, and you can work the actions adequately, you may have found what you are looking for. Then try them out on the firing line. See how the recoil feels and how well you can manipulate them.

I do know that the Walther PK380 is well suited to smaller hands, that the slide is very easy to work, and that the recoil feels minimal. It is one that I would recommend you look at. Also, since your hands are going to be an issue consider revolvers. Though I don't particularly like revolvers, you may find that they work well for your situation.

You need to find what you feel comfortable with, and that you like.

And since you mention cost as something you are concerned with, don't hesitate to look at used pistols. With the assistance of a gunsmith or the range personnel, you may find one that fits your budget. I would also recommend one of the gun auction sites, like gunbroker.com once you decide upon a pistol. I have purchased a couple of used pistols, mostly Berettas, from there and been very happy with their condition and the price. Just stick to your budget if you do go to an auction site.

I agree with the above. The more different guns you can shoot, the more informed decision you can make. You also want to decide how and where you're going to carry it. That can determine the type of gun you buy. If concealment is an issue, you have to consider the size.

I have three and each one I've got, I like a little better than the last one. I started with a Ruger LCP, a .380. Not knowing any different, I learned to like it and carried it daily.

Then I bought a KelTec P11, a 9mm. A little bigger and a little easier to shoot. Not to mention it held 4 more rounds.

A few weeks ago I bought a Kahr CW9. Still a little bigger, but with a much lighter trigger pull and much easier to keep on target. Plus it's pretty.

And all of them have been between $275 to $375.

Link Removed

Looks like you are already on the right track. Try before you buy. There are many variables, including recoil, trigger pull, weight, size, fitting in your hands, known reliability, operating/training cost, etc.

Also, based on your description, I would recommend a mid-size 9mm. 9mm ammo is cheap. .380 ACP definitely has less recoil in a similar-sized gun, but is more expensive. Also, most .380 ACP guns are lighter weight and recoil almost as much as a heavier 9mm handgun. I would not recommend .40 S&W. .45ACP is an option in something like a 1911 or a steel frame SA/DA. The steel frame buffers most of the recoil.

Now, I have the Ruger SR22 and it is a nice pistol that was actually designed for concealed carry. However, I am using this strictly as a plinking pistol and to train new shooters. I don't trust 22lr as a defensive caliber. I am carrying a Glock 26 (9mm) and sometimes the larger Glock 19 (also 9mm). While in the woods, I am carrying a Glock 20 (10mm) with hot hardcast loads.

Try to learn as much as possible about the guns you are interested in. For example, one reason why I like Glocks is because of their simple design and interchangeability of parts. Both, the Glock 26 and 19, share a significant amount of components. The 15-round Glock 19 magazines fit in my (normally 10- or 12-round) Glock 26 as do the 17-round Glock 17 magazines and the 33-round Glock 18 magazines. All are 9mm double-stack, just with different length. Glocks are also known for their low recoil due to a low bore axis and for their reliability. Based on your description, I would recommend trying out the Glock 19. While the Glock 17 is larger and easier to shoot, it is less concealable.

Having said that, there are a lot of other interesting guns out there. The XDS 9mm is actually pretty decent. The 4-inch version gives you better sight radius and slightly faster bullet speeds at the cost of a heavier gun (in comparison to the 3.3-inch version). The 3.3-inch version is a little bit snappier than the 4-inch version. Both are snappier than the Glock 19.

As I mentioned in another thread, there is also the option to go for a revolver in .22 Magnum or .38 Special. Some people do buy a .357 Magnum snub-nose revolver and exclusively shoot .38 Special +P rounds though it. .357 Magnum revolvers are typically heavier and sturdier. They buffer the already low recoil of the .38 Special quite well. I don't have one of these, but I have heard a number of good things about the Link Removed. It shoots out of the bottom chamber, which requires to get used to holding the gun a little bit different. However, that feature does change the recoil quite a bit.

Lots of good advise on pistols but you also said you don't go out at night so let's not forget about the shotgun option for late night in home protection. An inexpensive 20ga or even an easy to handle .410 will take care of unwanted snakes.

Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate it! Definitely need to get to the range and try out a few before I buy, of course like was said, nothing wrong with having a few around :) but yet I still might be more capable of handling a bigger caliber, I just don't know that for sure at this point. .22 ammo we can get, but we are limited to one box per visit so that could get extremely frustrating trying to stock up to be able to even be ready for a day at the range. It didn't even cross my mind to also looked at used, thanks for that suggestion as well, we have quite a few gun shops around here so I'm sure if they don't have any, they can probably tell me who does. I am going to do some more research on what you all have pointed out to me, and hopefully soon I won't feel stuck here after dark anymore. Thanks for the warm welcome also, I am glad it was here I came to first, you all are great!

XD-S 9mm is an excellent choice. Shoot it. I rotate it (but in .45) with a duty-sized XDm 9mm 4.0 as well. It has 19+1 capacity, and I use a hidden hybrid holster with Kydex that fits my XDm with an X5L attached. A bit bulky, but I'm just used to the XD-S.

Lots of excellent suggestions on the thread. Shoot 'em all!

If it's just for the house, as stated above, a smaller gauge shotgun would be a great option, also because (as your dad did with you) your kids could use it if need be. Depending on age/ training etc of course

Lots of excellent advice here. Please, somehow, plan on taking at least the minimal training so you are familiar with your gun and comfortable using it.

I had to shoot a man to save my life more than 30 years ago. This is the story of that encounter: The Man I Might Have Killed | The Price of Liberty I wrote a book based on that incident, and my subsequent efforts to arm and train myself so it might never happen again. I'll be glad to send a pdf copy of that small book to anyone who asks for it. Directions for that will be found at the bottom of the page linked.

Good luck! I have some arthritis too, but don't ever let that stop you. Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

First of all welcome to the forum... I saw that you have a husband but did not see any mention of kids..... which would have an impact on my thoughts... IM guessing " No Kids " or you would have included them in you concern for home protection.. because kids make it a completely different paradigm.

You said money is tight, so I'm not sure if you are looking for a general purpose weapon for the house and to CC. There is nothing better then a pump shotgun for home defense.. but tough to walk down Main street at night.. because you have hunted, you know shot guns.. I will say this.. you want to consider the biggest caliber that you can handle effectively..

Many people will tell you that shot placement will trump any personal defense caliber.. while perfect shot placement with a 22 will do the job... shot placement is not something guaranteed...so if you are going to swing a hammer, make it a big one and hope you can connect..

IM an old and sick guy ( 70 years Old ) with cancer.. I shoot every week ( 50 rounds ) to keep my edge and muscle memory...I shoot a 1911 45 ACP.. IM not suggesting that its the only choice , but for me after 40 years of Conceal carry as a civilian.,. its the only choice for me... Don't buy a Pink gun.. don't buy a girlie gun.. by a gun that will Kill someone, that's a serious notion to consider.. weapons that inflict deadly force are not cute or girlie... they are for posers..

Here is the most important thing.... a weapon that you have , carry, depend on giving you a chance to defend yourself, is the confident builder that allows you to be caustious when you walk, but that you can do with confidence.. Many Bad guy can read body language in a victim... if you are carrying and are confident in it, then you walk with your head up, shoulders back and have no fear of eye contact with anyone including a potential bad guy..

So good luck.. sorry for the lecture.. but My offering is from my heart with your concerns in mind...

Bill aka E-T

I would suggest that you rent a gun instead of wasting money on a non-defensive pistol that you will eventually have collecting dust. If you want to start with a SR22, there are many ranges that will rent them for you to use there. Then work you way up to what is comfortable. Let's face it, good guns are expensive. Better to make your investment into one you plan to carry and have it become a part of you.
Just my 2 cents.........

Definitely training is in store for me, even though I grew up shooting it's been so long that I think the smartest thing to do is to re familiarize myself with everything, I need my confidence skills built back up for sure, and things have changed, although not to different, I would be a fool honestly if I didnt :). I do have kids, but they are grown, in their 20's and none of them want children so I don't need to worry about babies running around, sad but a good thing as well. My good neighbor has a licensed instructor as a friend who is also ex military, and he's going to hook me up with him so he can take me to the range and get me started, I have been able to handle an xds, and I have to say I knew it would fit my hand perfectly, so I'm definitely going to rent one and see how I handle shooting the 9mm, after I get some practice with a .22, I agree that I would rather not spend more money then I have to right now, but at least now I know it's a possibility. Thanks again everyone it's all been great advice! I hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

get pistol that fits YOUR hand and is recoil manageable for YOU, my suggestion is look at SIG SAUER p226 9mm, any 380 is a sonofagun to contriol on smallframe firearm spend money wisely but buy quality

Ok, my two cents. I suggest checking out a Glock 19. 9mm isn't too heavy in recoil. As far as reliability, very good. Sights can be replaced with something that you can see. The Model 19 isn't too big. For Arthritis, Brass Stacker makes a "pull ring" that clamps onto the slide of the pistol. Slide Pull Charging Handle for Glock™ Pistols :: Slide Pull™ for Glock™ Pistols :: Glock™ Platform Products :: Brass Stacker™ It works quite well, and makes the slide very easy to pull back, and it's worth the $45. Can be installed and removed without leaving any marks on the pistol. It is also made for the Springfield XD's. (I prefer the Glock over the XD, but the XD is a good pistol, with the grip safety). I had a Father/Son in my class over the weekend, his 8 year old son was able to work the action just fine with the "Slide Pull" on a Glock. Like wise, several months back, I had an elderly lady try the slide pull, she liked it so well, she went out and bought a Glock and a Slide Pull. No, I'm not a rep and I don't get kick backs from the company.

If you have arthritis in the hands you may find it hard to chamber a round (rack the slide). Consider a DA only (hammerless) .38 special. Just pick it up, point and shoot. Even shoot right through your pocketbook if necessary. EZ breezy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back