Need advice on flying, should I bother? (NY)

snatale42

I've read enough horror stories on this subject but not sure on how to go about this one. I'm flying from VA to FL and that should go nice and smooth BUT on the way back thanks to horrible luck on the way back I got from FL to NY to VA. Now I've read how that can go wrong when people have to take their baggage back, but I should be in NY around an hour or so before my connecting flight. Is this safe to do when you don't have to retake possession of your baggage? Or just a bad idea all around. It's Delta if that makes any difference. Also if it would matter it would be a Shield 9, so no issues with their mag ban bs either.

If you are just "connecting" through NY your bags are moved from one plane to another then you should not have any problems. The problem is when you take position of your bags then have to recheck them and declare your firearm again. This is when the agent at the check in counter freaks out and calls the cops. Which airline you fly on doesn't really matter. NY likes to make examples of people for committing victim-less crimes. There is a law that protects persons traveling through with a firearm but I can't remember the specific details. I probably should have it tattooed on my arm somewhere but I don't. The Navy Commander guy will probably chine in here at some point with the specifics. Good luck.

And changing the return is out of the question why exactly?

I never fly through NYS with a checked firearm. If I miss the connection somehow, there is the risk that an overnight stay or a change of airlines requires me to pickup and re-check my luggage. Once I pickup the luggage, I am already in violation of state law as a license is required for the mere possession of a handgun in NYS. Once I re-check the luggage and declare the firearm, I will get arrested.

Thanks guys, I wound up travelling as a potential victim. Next time I'm booking my own flight further ahead of time and I may just have to do some more digging if the system lays me over in that horrible state.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I wound up travelling as a potential victim.

Just one note - concealed carry does not reduce your potential as a victim. It simply raises the chances that you will be a victim who successfully defended himself. If the criminal attacks you and you kill them, you are still the victim.

Thanks guys, I wound up travelling as a potential victim. Next time I'm booking my own flight further ahead of time and I may just have to do some more digging if the system lays me over in that horrible state.

Does that mean you did take the gun with you and did risk the NY issue, thus potentially becoming a victim of the unconstitutional laws of NYS/NYC? Or does it mean you did not take the gun with you and somehow think that this increases your risk of becoming a victim?

Does that mean you did take the gun with you and did risk the NY issue, thus potentially becoming a victim of the unconstitutional laws of NYS/NYC? Or does it mean you did not take the gun with you and somehow think that this increases your risk of becoming a victim?
Didn't take it. Definitely increased my chances being in Orlando for a week. Never saw so much security EVRYWHERE I went in my life, that's never a good sign.

Didn't take it. Definitely increased my chances being in Orlando for a week. Never saw so much security EVRYWHERE I went in my life, that's never a good sign.

Well, that didn't make much sense. Having the ability to defend yourself is reducing the impact of being victim and not the probability of becoming a victim.

Well, that didn't make much sense. Having the ability to defend yourself is reducing the impact of being victim and not the probability of becoming a victim.
OK, you know exactly what I meant.

I've read enough horror stories on this subject but not sure on how to go about this one. I'm flying from VA to FL and that should go nice and smooth BUT on the way back thanks to horrible luck on the way back I got from FL to NY to VA. Now I've read how that can go wrong when people have to take their baggage back, but I should be in NY around an hour or so before my connecting flight. Is this safe to do when you don't have to retake possession of your baggage? Or just a bad idea all around. It's Delta if that makes any difference. Also if it would matter it would be a Shield 9, so no issues with their mag ban bs either.

you are taking a chance with the routing via NY, if you do chose to do that trip be advised that if for any reason your trip is interrupted in NYC DO NOT take possession of your luggage. if you do when you try to recheck the luggage you more than likely will face arrest.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back