Need a recommendation for a gun for my FIL

Lakeland Man

We're going to get a pistol for my father-in-law for fathers day. He recently got his concealed carry. He hasn't been able to afford to buy one because things keep coming up. He DOES have a few features he likes.

9mm, .40 or. 45
Exposed hammer (he doesn't trust internal ones)
External safety/decocker
Not too small (he has large hands like me)
And for me, price $500 or less

I looked at a Taurus that I liked in 9mm.

Suggestions?

I really think you may want to re-think this...

Its just not a real good idea to buy a handgun for someone as a surprize/gift, without knowing that the particular handgun is one the recipient has handled, shot, &/or spoke of after seeing/handling the gun. What seems like a really good weapon for you or anyone else might just be so-so for the recipient....or worse.

It might be a better idea to decide upon your gift-giving limits (monitarily) and when its gift time, give him a greeting card, and inside declare your intention to take him out to decide on one himself at the store....your treat. This way, the brunt of the decision is on him.

Have him looking online with you there and google/search out CC handguns and feel him out for likely candidates...

My personal choices (Kahrs) will probably be too small for someone with giant hands....then again, after he handles one and realizes how easily it will conceal, maybe not...

Just my 2 cents worth.....good luck with your decision what ever it is...

We're going to get a pistol for my father-in-law for fathers day. He recently got his concealed carry. He hasn't been able to afford to buy one because things keep coming up. He DOES have a few features he likes.

9mm, .40 or. 45
External safety/decocker

Suggestions?

If you can find a used Sig Sauer P-226 in a .40 cal that would be a very good long term firearm. I have one and it is a little heavy but it's a straight shooter and is very reliable. It has all the features you want. It may be a little over priced for what you want, but it can be found in that realm somewhere. My XDM and Glock neither have the external hammer. The .40 is more powerful than either the 9mm or the .45 as far as ballistics are concerned. One other one comes to mind and on Gun Broker you may find a Smith and Wesson 39-2 in that realm. It has the hammer but no decocker. I have one but don't carry it as I prefer my 226. Hope this helps.

I think (not positive), most guns in your price range will likely be "striker fire". A few friends have P250 Sigs they really like but I've not shot. A lower end gun from a reputable manufacturer and will run you $450-$500. These are DAO so you don't need a de-cocker. Whatever you get, my preference is .40cal. Price isn't too much more than 9mm and balisticly more choices from lite to heavy loads.

I have an FNP-9 from FNH in 9mm that has all of those options you listed and is under $500. My CC choice. I love this firearm, its smooth, reliable, accurate, and is fairly easy to conceal. FN makes a quality product that is very affordable and will run with any of the high/overpriced big dogs.

9mm, .40 or. 45
External safety/decocker

Suggestions?

You might want to look at one of the flat sided revolvers. They're less complicated to disassemble and clean, easy to conceal and load. Never heard of one jamming. I'm a fan of 9mm and 40cal. Check which ammo is most available. Most popular sizes are out of stock almost everywhere. Specially military issue sizes.

You might want to look at one of the flat sided revolvers. They're less complicated to disassemble and clean, easy to conceal and load. Never heard of one jamming. I'm a fan of 9mm and 40cal. Check which ammo is most available. Most popular sizes are out of stock almost everywhere. Specially military issue sizes.
I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but, Hi-Point is very reasonably priced and has proven to be as reliable as higher priced guns. I agree with taking him shopping. Your surprise may not be good fit for him. BTW, don't forget that if you go the semi-automatic rout, there are a large variety of grip and magazine extensions available. My Glock 26 Gen 4 fits my huge hand just fine with a +2 Mag extension and is super for ccw regardless of position.

I really think you may want to re-think this...

Its just not a real good idea to buy a handgun for someone as a surprize/gift, without knowing that the particular handgun is one the recipient has handled, shot, &/or spoke of after seeing/handling the gun. What seems like a really good weapon for you or anyone else might just be so-so for the recipient....or worse.

It might be a better idea to decide upon your gift-giving limits (monitarily) and when its gift time, give him a greeting card, and inside declare your intention to take him out to decide on one himself at the store....your treat. This way, the brunt of the decision is on him.

Have him looking online with you there and google/search out CC handguns and feel him out for likely candidates...

My personal choices (Kahrs) will probably be too small for someone with giant hands....then again, after he handles one and realizes how easily it will conceal, maybe not...

Just my 2 cents worth.....good luck with your decision what ever it is...

Very good point (as far as trying to buy for someone else). There are a lot of ranges that have guns to rent, when my wife & I purchased ours, we had a list of guns we liked, then went to the range and made our final decision after shooting each one.

Last edited:
I suggest that when it is time to accomplish this, that you TAKE your father-in-law to a gun store, let him pick one out, and then buy one of his choice. More important, it is against Federal Law to buy a gun for someone else. You have to sign the ATF form saying that you are NOT buying it for someone else. Don't perjure yourself; it will cost you dearly.

Just to echo what others have said, I would strongly suggest that you take your father in law out to some gun shops and let him actually hold the weapon. If possible, he should get to test fire the ones he likes best at a range.

That being said, my personal carry weapon of choice is a Sig Sauer P220 Carry chambered in .45 ACP. I also am fond of the Beretta 92F chambered in 9MM. Both of these weapons have the features that you mentioned. A big plus for me in all semi-auto pistols is the ability to fire both double and single action. Both of the firearms mentioned have this capability.

Good luck!

I suggest that when it is time to accomplish this, that you TAKE your father-in-law to a gun store, let him pick one out, and then buy one of his choice. More important, it is against Federal Law to buy a gun for someone else. You have to sign the ATF form saying that you are NOT buying it for someone else. Don't perjure yourself; it will cost you dearly.

Very good point CharlieK, right on the money.

I think that it is aways a good idea to have the person that you want to give a gift to have them go with you to pick it out for themself. I volunteer at the AZ Humane Society and I help with they dog adoptions. I have had and seen people come in to get a dog(s) for friends or for family members. And only to find out that the dog that they liked and got the one that the dog was gotten for either did not like the dog or the dog did not get along with the person that it was gotten for. I always tell people that want to adopt a dog for some one to do one of two things. 1) Get them a gift certifate and let them pick out the dog they like/want. Or 2) bring them in and let them pick out the dog they like/want. That way the dog does not come back to the shelter. I feel the same way about firearms. What you might like the person that you're getting it for might not like it or it might be to hard for them to use. I have some issues with hand stregth and I need to find firearms with trigger pulls of around 2.5lbs. most of the firearms hand guns these days I've found have trigger pulls of around 5.5lbs or higher. I have a really hard time shooting thes firearms. so I aways look for firearms with lesser trigger pulls. But I do think that it's great that you want to suprise them but I really think that you should let them pick out the firearm that they would really like themself. You can ask the to go with you somewhere and then take them to a gun store and when you get there tell them to pick out the firearm that they want and that you are going to pay for it for them as a gift. That way you can still suprise them and they will get the firearm that they really want and like and best of all they will use it. Just my 2 cents.

Very good point CharlieK, right on the money.

Actually that's not true. The question on the 4473 is "Are you they actual BUYER of this firearm." If you use money out of your pocket to buy the gun you are the actual buyer regardless if you want to give it away at a later date. What you can't do is take someone else's money, go to the gun store, and use their money to buy them or a 3rd party a gun. That is illegal.

Take a good look at the Stoeger Cougar it is an all metal gun with an external hammer. Good for people with big hands, has a good capacity of ammo. 3.6 barrel, decocker, accurate, dependable, will eat any ammo. Right out of the box this gun has a slide that racks smooth as butter. Less than $500

:dirol:

I Have a SIG P250 but, it's a DAO great gun for the price but, if he want's a SA/DA SIG has the SP 2022 which is SA/DA decocker and if you can find one they're under $500 The problem with most inexpensive guns is finding them. Her's a little review on them. The review is for the .40 version but, they make .357 and 9mm. Good luck

.SIG Pro SP2022?The Worst Kept SIG Secret

I will always suggest the Ruger SR9c. Great carry gun good capacity, low recoil and generally can chew the A$$ out of a Rabbit right out of the box. Under $500.00

Actually that's not true. The question on the 4473 is "Are you they actual BUYER of this firearm." If you use money out of your pocket to buy the gun you are the actual buyer regardless if you want to give it away at a later date. What you can't do is take someone else's money, go to the gun store, and use their money to buy them or a 3rd party a gun. That is illegal.
I think you are correct on that; however, it is still a risk because, if after you buy it for your father-in-law, in five years if he sells it to someone, and that person commits a crime with it and it gets traced, then it will come back to bite you in the arse.

Simply buy it and hold it till you are ready to give it to him then have it transferred in his name.

:triniti:

I don't have to "transfer" it to his name as there is no gun registration in Florida.

I will be looking at the Cougar as well as the Sig. Both seem to be just what I'm looking for. I have the SR9 and suggested the SR9C to jim but he doesn't like that it has no external hammer.

Thank you all for the suggestions and I'll let you know what we end up getting him.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back