National Parks?

telpinaro

Is open carry allowed in National Parks? Mostly I find stuff about concealed carry, but I've found conflicting information on open carry. Mostly people saying that it's up to the park rangers because they have jurisdiction there... That sounded kind of odd, since it's still a "National" park, but you never know. Should I just call up all the parks I intend to visit, or is there some resource or guideline I've missed? Open carry would be very convenient while hiking...

Is open carry allowed in National Parks? Mostly I find stuff about concealed carry, but I've found conflicting information on open carry. Mostly people saying that it's up to the park rangers because they have jurisdiction there... That sounded kind of odd, since it's still a "National" park, but you never know. Should I just call up all the parks I intend to visit, or is there some resource or guideline I've missed? Open carry would be very convenient while hiking...

the laws of the state the park is in determines the way you can carry. the rangers should not be making up their own rules, whomever it was that told you that tale is clueless

Carry rules in N.P. = Carry rules for the state the park is located in. If it's an OC state it's an OC park. If its a CC state it's a CC park.
I asked the same thing a bit ago you can find the responses here: Link Removed

But don't carry in the buildings (i.e. Visitor Centers, etc.) because it is technically a Fed. building... unless you CC then no one is the wiser.

the laws of the state the park is in determines the way you can carry. the rangers should not be making up their own rules, whomever it was that told you that tale is clueless

Not only that, it is a violation of Federal law for rangers to be making up their own rules :)

I suggest you carry a copy of that law with you. My experience with rangers in Yellowstone the last few years have been remarkably unpleasant. I go to the park at least twice a year to fish (sometimes I take relatives sightseeing but if so they have to endure me fishing a substantial part of the time). I've been doing that for nearly 60 yrs. In the last 15 yrs or so the rangers have evolved from helpful friendly rangers to men that see the public as enemies of the park, to be treated with great suspicion. Go "loaded for bear" grouchy rangers that is. Have your documentation ready, including appropriate state law. You may be in Wyoming or Montana. Have fun.

I suggest you carry a copy of that law with you. My experience with rangers in Yellowstone the last few years have been remarkably unpleasant. I go to the park at least twice a year to fish (sometimes I take relatives sightseeing but if so they have to endure me fishing a substantial part of the time). I've been doing that for nearly 60 yrs. In the last 15 yrs or so the rangers have evolved from helpful friendly rangers to men that see the public as enemies of the park, to be treated with great suspicion. Go "loaded for bear" grouchy rangers that is. Have your documentation ready, including appropriate state law. You may be in Wyoming or Montana. Have fun.

What powers do park rangers have? I would guess less than a LEO. From my experience they're nothing more than glorified tour guides. Most states require you to carry your "documentation" especially if you're from our of state but as I've learned recently until you have broken a law you don't need to show it to anyone.

Good to know. A copy of the law is definitely a good idea. I'm planning on getting a safepacker, but open carry would be more convenient. The safepacker is mainly for group outings where nobody else carries (I like to volunteer for outdoor conservation-type things and while most outdoorsy types are good with carrying, some of the company sponsors might not be... what they don't know won't hurt them!), in the car, camping/backpacking, and inclement weather!

Recently finished up our annual Sturgis run and as I'm an OC advocate, I did open carry all the time west of the Mississippi River. Well, most of the east side to as we came up through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana, all of which are favorable to OC.

This included Devil's Tower and Mt Rushmore, to say the least.

No problems with the Park Rangers, Park Police (heavily armed and with body armor) nor with any of the tourists from all over who are swarming those destinations in the middle of summer.

As I did not enter any of the Park Police/Ranger offices, I would imagine those are still off limits, as are any other "police" type building.

AD (hmm, why can't I get these messages to format/paragraph out properly?)

Interesting reply on this topic planning on taking family to Rushmore Yellowstone in future and never thought about carrying laws with me. Thanks

What powers do park rangers have? I would guess less than a LEO. From my experience they're nothing more than glorified tour guides. Most states require you to carry your "documentation" especially if you're from our of state but as I've learned recently until you have broken a law you don't need to show it to anyone.

There are different types of National Park Rangers. Law Enforcement Rangers have full police powers. Interpretive Rangers have no law enforcement authority, and are the tour guide - answer questions type of Ranger. As far as I know their uniforms are the same, except for the badge, and except that LEO Rangers wear firearms. Some non-LEO Rangers also wear firearms in remote areas for self defense.

As I did not enter any of the Park Police/Ranger offices, I would imagine those are still off limits, as are any other "police" type building.

Federal buildings where firearms are prohibited are required to be posted as such by 18 USC 930, Federal law. In Washington State, it is a violation of state law to prohibit firearms in the public portions of county and city "police" type buildings :), and perfectly legal to carry firearms until you enter the secured area where prisoners are processed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back