My Wife finally got a Gun

After over a year having my gun (which my wife was not too thrilled on having), My wife has asked to get a gun. A little contextual history, my wife and I live in southeast Arizona, just 18 miles from the Mexican border; the same part of the border with daily cartel activities. This spike in activity and our current administration refusal to secure our borders promoted my desire to ensure I had, at a minimum, protection for me and my family. Shortly after I purchased my SW99, I got a CCW and several close quarter training classes. most of which my wife thought was me being gun-ho about carrying my gun, and she was very apprehensive on having a loaded gun around a teenager and two little girls (4 years and 15 months). Her opinion really didn't change much until I went on a short TDY and the bump in the night started to get to her. We have two dogs (a Great Dane and Rat Terrier), which their guard dog capabilities are that of a skittish cat, which did not help ease my wife's nerves while I was away. Now I don't know if the bumps she heard were legitimate or if her imagination was running rampant; however, when she went shopping one day with my two little girls, she was being followed by two mid 30's guys and she felt incredibly helpless. Those two incidents gave her the desire to have some real protection.

Now she's shot my .40 cal (SW99), but she felt uncomfortable with having to rack the slide. I have two "Safety" bullets (one in the chamber, one in the mag) when it's in the lock box (Her request, not mine), which I have to cycle twice in order to get to a live round. So naturally, my wife would not be able to effectively run to our bedroom, open the lockbox, cycle two rounds and cleanly shoot an intruder. Oh, and she has to do this while grabbing our two girls and avoid tripping over the dogs. she wanted something that she could grab and point and shoot.

so, that eliminated semi-auto's, shotguns and rifles where also out, which left the revolvers. Thankfully she has shot a .38 before (My Dads) and was pretty good at it, so I decided to take her to go shopping for a gun. immediately, she wanted the nice silver gun with the pearl handle (which happen to be the cheaper of the revolvers). We started the paperwork, taking less than 30 mins from filling the 4473, the NICS, and the debit card. my wife walk out with a nice .38 and a pink carrying case.

Now, i have to take her to the range and order her some PDX1 rounds.

Now, i have to take her to the range and order her some PDX1 rounds.

It's a great start, but there is SO much more to this than just buying a gun.

I hope sincerely that's not all the training she's going to get. She needs a regular basic pistol class as well as at least one class for personal protection in the home.

If you (or anyone) will send me an email request (mamaliberty - at - rtconnect.net ), I will gladly share the booklet I wrote to supplement my classes. The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life. Link Removed

^^^ what MamaLiberty said!!

Kudos to you guys for taking the act of protection into your hands, but now that you have... learn and practice, and continue to learn and practice how to do it properly. One of my hand guns is a .38 revolver. Nice gun.

It's a beginning ..............

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

I know the importance of practice and gun safety course, which I regrettably forgot to mention that I was taking my wife to the range and enrolled her into a gun safety course. next month she'll be taking a CCW course (not required in the state of Az, but recommended). I want her to feel as comfortable as she can around the gun before she uses it.

Very nice. Funny how that works when some incidences happen and they change their mind.

I would not recommend having two safety caps in the gun. That's asking for trouble, under stress it wouldn't be fun to rack the slide a few times to get to a live round. Also note use force when racking the slide I've demonstrated to a lot of my friends that easing the slide or not being aggressive with it will lead to a double feed or slide that closes half way.

Nice job on extra training though

Here goes...

I have the gun.
I have the training, Gunsite.
I have the CHL.
I have the holster.
I have the ammo.
But my gun is empty.

Feeling a lot of responsibility.
Trust myself more than anyone I know.
Yet...my gun is empty.
Anyone else felt this way.

Here goes...

I have the gun.
I have the CHL.
I have the holster.
I have the ammo.
But my gun is empty.

Yet...my gun is empty.

Never have and I've been carrying 30+ years

YES! I've been carrying for just a couple weeks now and am so careful but I worry as time goes by I may get complacent and that's how mistakes are made.
Here goes...

I have the gun.
I have the CHL.
I have the holster.
I have the ammo.
But my gun is empty.

Yet...my gun is empty.

No problem. I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way too! Everyone tells me that after a while I'll get comfortable carrying but I'm not sure if I want that. To me comfortable=negligent discharge. Good luck and stay safe.
Kathy,

Thanks so much for letting me know I am not alone.

NoName.

I have carried for 40 years and I am still never completly confortable carring. Some people carry and I believe that it makes them feel bigger more invinceable, somehow more important. With me it makes me more on guard, a little nervious and comlpletly aware that anything that I do with a drawn weapon may cause a death and open me up to possible extreem liability. Having said that I feel thats its a responsibility I fully understand and accept and I pray that I never have to shoot someone. One thing I'm pretty sure of, If I ever do have to shoot someone they will dam sure need it.

Billy B.

Thanks for your thoughful insight.
I have heard men say they will do this and that,
and act in ways that may draw "danger" to them,
but only a few have been tested.

It is nice to know the "responsibility of carry" is heavy, with you.
Even after 40 years.
I want to be like you, ever aware, that in a moment everything can change.

I have felt mortal fear.
It gives me the courage, to insure, my safety.
Protection requires many layers,
however mental toughness is paramount.
I know I am prepared.

Knowing a veteran of 40 years of carry, feels "on guard",
Let's me know I am on the right path.
I never want to feel relaxed, knowing I am committed to kill.

Thanks again,
No Name

No problem. I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way too! Everyone tells me that after a while I'll get comfortable carrying but I'm not sure if I want that. To me comfortable=negligent discharge. Good luck and stay safe.

It's a different kind of "comfort," Kathys! It's combined of confidence - which is really necessary - and an equal awareness. You are not going to lose awareness of the seriousness of what you are doing simply by becoming confident and comfortable in your ability.

Think about how you feel about driving your car. You are confident that you know what you are doing. You are familiar with the car and how it operates and you are well versed in the rules of good driving. You drive without really worrying about those things consciously and pay more attention to where you are headed, confident that you will get there safely unless someone else does something really stupid. That's the same with carrying a gun.

Im cautious about cocked and locked ,so normally carry loaded half cock,pull point where one desires it to go off and cock SA ,most of the da pistols have very long trigger pulls and require almost a deliberate pull.Even my da I dont place the safety on unless I desire to make it safe while placing elsewhere.
Try wearing it unloaded for a bit in various conditions,if sa loaded half cock is normally sufficient to insure no accidental discharges,if da should be no worries at all or little.Wear where comfortable and where one can reach and obtain,then always remember its a firearm.
I wouldnt place much trust in some older sa like a jennings 9mm or any of those older striker fired,best left in a drawer.
The only thing worse than needing a firearm is to have one and not know how to use it,and use it safely,try taking a class in firearms safety.
A day shot one weekend.
Pt22-Taurus
32 acp Llama-1911 minature
25 acp-titan
Notice all have hammers,even in da,just what im comfortable with for cc
hi point 45 jhp-stays in or on the nightstand or in truck-to small a safety to fool with and striker fired also to massive-shoots great eats anything-was cheap That said i have a buddy that carries a c9,im just not comfortable with striker fired hard to tell what condition its in,by a glance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back