Moving to VA from FL

swollengoat

I have a CCW for FL and understand that VA reciprocates FL permit-holders; however, my question or request for help has to do with establishing VA residency and getting a resident VA CCW. Is there a process, since VA recognizes FL residents with CCW, to make the transition/transfer painless and with minimal time involved or do I have to basically start from scratch and be without the ability to carry legally until I've completed all the necessary steps (taking a VA CCW class, submitting application, etc.)?

If anyone has dealt with this or has any recommendations on what sites/orgs to contact, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm relocating for employment and will be moving in the next two weeks, so I have to get and obscene amount of things done in order to get my family north in time for the new year, so again ANY guidance is extremely appreciated.

Thanks to any and all that are able to provide some insight on steps I should take to expedite the process.

Best,

SG

Keep your FL permit

...do I have to basically start from scratch and be without the ability to carry legally until I've completed all the necessary steps (taking a VA CCW class, submitting application, etc.)?

I'm not a legal expert, but I have a VA CCW permit. I'd suggest keeping your FL permit until you can get the VA Resident permit. Depending on where in VA you're moving, you could get a VA permit rather quickly. Especially if you have good documentation of previous permits, classes, or experience (MIL or LE).

Worst case, VA is open carry legal. Not my preference, but better than nothing.

FTE

Good link for info: Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

Just note that you'll need to go through the Court in the County of your residence for the permit. Also worth noting, "There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city where he or she resides." So you can file immediately upon declaring residence.

You will be a legal resident once you have a VA drivers lic in hand. Since VA has reciprocity with FL your good until you get your VA one. Pretty sure you still have to submit your safety class though, unless your prior military in that case your DD-214 takes it's place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back