Moving to Puyallup area from OK

Scaredfuzz

Good evening everyone,

I'm going to be relocating from OK to the Puyallup area at the end of this month. I'm looking for a local (or semi-local) gun rights group to get involved in, Google wasn't very helpful.

Also I was looking through the laws and noticed it talked about WA residency invalidating out of state CCW permits, I'm keeping my residency as Oklahoma (I'm in the military) so my understanding is that I would not have to get a WA CCW.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all,

-Fuzz

Don't believe your understanding is correct.
NavyLCDR prob will have the best info for you.
The term "Residency" varies in definition depending on the situation.

Yeah that's why I was asking seeing if any other military members had experience with this since the everything I'm reading is vague about what "residency" is considered or I'm just not seeing the specific definition.

Yeah that's why I was asking seeing if any other military members had experience with this since the everything I'm reading is vague about what "residency" is considered or I'm just not seeing the specific definition.

As your in the military, your residency stays the same even though you may move. As a OK resident with a carry permit you can carry as WA recognizes that permit. If your permit expires or for added security you can also apply for a WA permit the same as a WA resident would.

As your in the military, your residency stays the same even though you may move. As a OK resident with a carry permit you can carry as WA recognizes that permit. If your permit expires or for added security you can also apply for a WA permit the same as a WA resident would.

That's always been my impression since everything will remained registered in OK but I read a couple other posts mentioning that WA considers you are resident if you live for a certain period of time in the state, and therefore my permit is invalid, yet I can't find anything in the laws that state this specifically.

I really don't care to spend another $60 for a permit that doesn't get me reciprocity in anymore states than I already have.

So what are you going to do every time that you come within 1000' of a school? Federal law requires you to have a license issued by the same state the school zone is located in order to be exempt from the prohibition of carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' of a school. 18 USC 922 (q)(2).

Also are you planning on buying any firearms other than a rifle or shotgun...and then only from a dealer? You must be a WA resident in order to buy and take possession of any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun from a dealer. Or are you going to claim residency for the purposes of buying firearms, but not for CPL purposes?

Federal regulations regarding firearms state that a member of the military is a resident of the state they have permanent orders to.

Make it easy on yourself....go to any LEO agency in the state and apply for the WA CPL. You can still keep your OK CPL. Then, go to a Department of Licensing office and get a Washington State ID card - not a driver's license but ID card and you can still keep your OK driver's license. So, then you can legally carry a loaded gun within 1000' of a school in Washington, and if you want to buy a handgun from a dealer you can show them the WA ID Card and your WA CPL and be exempt from the 5 day waiting period and avoid having to obtain a copy of your military orders to provide to them.

As far as an active local gun rights group:
www.opencarry.org. Look in the Washington subforum.

So what are you going to do every time that you come within 1000' of a school? Federal law requires you to have a license issued by the same state the school zone is located in order to be exempt from the prohibition of carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' of a school. 18 USC 922 (q)(2).

Also are you planning on buying any firearms other than a rifle or shotgun...and then only from a dealer? You must be a WA resident in order to buy and take possession of any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun from a dealer. Or are you going to claim residency for the purposes of buying firearms, but not for CPL purposes?

Federal regulations regarding firearms state that a member of the military is a resident of the state they have permanent orders to.

Make it easy on yourself....go to any LEO agency in the state and apply for the WA CPL. You can still keep your OK CPL. Then, go to a Department of Licensing office and get a Washington State ID card - not a driver's license but ID card and you can still keep your OK driver's license. So, then you can legally carry a loaded gun within 1000' of a school in Washington, and if you want to buy a handgun from a dealer you can show them the WA ID Card and your WA CPL and be exempt from the 5 day waiting period and avoid having to obtain a copy of your military orders to provide to them.

As far as an active local gun rights group:
www.opencarry.org. Look in the Washington subforum.

So by your reasoning it is unlawful for you to go near any school zone when you travel to other states that recognize your CCW? I thought that was what reciprocity was for?

Good evening everyone,

I'm going to be relocating from OK to the Puyallup area at the end of this month. I'm looking for a local (or semi-local) gun rights group to get involved in, Google wasn't very helpful.

Also I was looking through the laws and noticed it talked about WA residency invalidating out of state CCW permits, I'm keeping my residency as Oklahoma (I'm in the military) so my understanding is that I would not have to get a WA CCW.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all,

-Fuzz

Here is a quick link that shows you should be good.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Being Military on Order assigning you here, You are able to use your home states Concealed Pistol License or Concealed Carry Permit, however it is called.

The RCW to back this is [h=3]RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.[/h](1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

Here is a quick link that shows you should be good.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Being Military on Order assigning you here, You are able to use your home states Concealed Pistol License or Concealed Carry Permit, however it is called.

and he violates Federal law every time he comes within 1000' of a school with a loaded gun.

Maybe it's just me, but paying the $52.50 to get a Washington CPL is worth it simply to avoid the question, to be able to purchase handguns from dealers without the waiting period, and to be able to LEGALLY carry within 1000' of a school. That's $10/year, not even 3 cents per day.

If the OP wants to buy a handgun in WA state, I'll bet he would not have any issue with claiming to be a Washington State resident in order to do so, which is what would be required.

AND, let's say the OP wants to go to college in Washington, or wants his children to go to college here....I'll bet he would have no problems claiming to be a Washington State Resident to pay in-state tuition vice out-of-state tuition.

"If the OP wants to buy a handgun in WA state, I'll bet he would not have any issue with claiming to be a Washington State resident in order to do so, which is what would be required."

Military ID and orders don't work? Cause they've worked for me so far.

You can go right across the street from the County City Bldg. down town Tacoma to apply for them, I think it the LASA bldg. Good luck and be safe,thank you for your sevice I was in for twenty-eight years and love it.

"If the OP wants to buy a handgun in WA state, I'll bet he would not have any issue with claiming to be a Washington State resident in order to do so, which is what would be required."

Military ID and orders don't work? Cause they've worked for me so far.

Yes,military id and orders do work: to prove that you are a resident of the state that you have orders to! That is my point. You buy a handgun in Washington state, an action which requires you to be a Washington state resident to do, using your military id card and orders to prove Washington residency. Then you are going walk out of the store concealing that same handgun using an Oklahoma license that you claim is still valid because you are not a resident of Washington state?!?

In the states I have been stationed being military only means you are given the privileges of state residents (i.e. weapons purchases, instate tuition, CCL ect.) and can keep your original state of residence. I'm not looking for an argument I'm asking questions from people who live in the state and asking for clarification, since people's opinions don't mean much in legal realms. I do thank you for highlighting the federal concerns with out of state CCLs.

In the states I have been stationed being military only means you are given the privileges of state residents (i.e. weapons purchases, instate tuition, CCL ect.) and can keep your original state of residence. I'm not looking for an argument I'm asking questions from people who live in the state and asking for clarification, since people's opinions don't mean much in legal realms. I do thank you for highlighting the federal concerns with out of state CCLs.

There is a huge difference between "state of residence" and military "home of record", especially regarding firearms laws. For example, my military home of record state is Wyoming. I have had a Wyoming driver's license for 30 years, and still do. It would be completely illegal for me to purchase a handgun in Wyoming because I have not resided in Wyoming for 30 years.

might want to check your terms, "state of residence" and "home of record" may be but aren't necessarily the same thing. You can be a resident of a state different than your home of record, in fact Home of Record is only used by the military for when you separate/retire. My state of residence, where I'm registered to vote, my vehicles ect. are with OK and will remain that way.

In light of the federal statutes you mentioned and researching it a little further, I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and get a CCW.

sacred fuzz- i hope your PCS went smooth, I just came from Mcguire NJ this past december..drove the whole way..miserable..anyway, if you come across any like minded groups I too am looking as well.

To Sacred fuzz and to Zombievs42 I know for both of you this is a bit late, but.. Welcome to Washington State.. and thank you both for your service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back