Moving to KY from NY with NY permit and Utah CCW permit.

nybuckboy

I'm considering a move to KY. I have an NY unrestricted pistol permit as well as a Utah CCW permit that is good in KY. My NY permit is only good in NY.

What do I need to do once I am a resident of KY? Is my Utah permit OK w/o my KY permit?

In other words, I will bringing my long guns as well as my handguns, all registered on my NY permit to KY if I move. My handguns are all registered on my NY cards but none are registered on my Utah card and there does not appear to be place for listing them either. Confusing!

Just a guess but most states do Not have registration oh weapons. So as far as that goes you probably won't have to in KY. As far as the Utah permit goes you will néed to check and see if it will be valid there. I know here in Louisiana my La permit is good in Ms. Also if I move to Mississippi that my La permit will be valid until it expires then I would have to get a permit in Mississippi. Now I can not say for sure if all of the states work that way....

No need to register any weapons, just bring all of them with you. Once you become a resident of KY then look into taking a CCDW class and follow through the process to get your CCDW license.

Welcome to a FREE state :cool:

No need to register any weapons, just bring all of them with you. Once you become a resident of KY then look into taking a CCDW class and follow through the process to get your CCDW license.

You mean you can own handguns w/o registering? Can you carry open? You do need to take a ccdw class to carry concealed though, is that right? I do plan to call the KY State Police at some point if I decide to move.

You mean you can own handguns w/o registering? Can you carry open? You do need to take a ccdw class to carry concealed though, is that right? I do plan to call the KY State Police at some point if I decide to move.

Correct, I open and conceal carry.

Just a guess but most states do Not have registration oh weapons. So as far as that goes you probably won't have to in KY. As far as the Utah permit goes you will néed to check and see if it will be valid there. I know here in Louisiana my La permit is good in Ms. Also if I move to Mississippi that my La permit will be valid until it expires then I would have to get a permit in Mississippi. Now I can not say for sure if all of the states work that way....

I know my Utah Permit is good cause KY is one of the 30+ states it is good in. Registering the guns is the big difference it appears.

Correct, no need to register your guns here.

When you move, signup for a CCDW class and get your 5 year permit.

You can carry a loaded handgun in your glovebox (or any factory installed compartment) without a permit.

Welcome, Kentucky is VERY gun friendly. We have the 2nd best laws in the country as rated by both the Brady Campaign and Guns and Ammo.

So then w/o my CCDW permit what the hell do I do with my handguns. Suppose I want to go shoot or carry them on my person but not concealed. Not really clear on this.

Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No
Registration of handguns? No
Licensing of owners of handguns? No
Permit to carry handguns? Yes
Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Residents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky who are citizens of the United States shall have the right to purchase or otherwise acquire rifles, shotguns, handguns, and any other firearms which they are permitted to purchase or otherwise acquire under federal law and the Kentucky Revised Statutes from properly licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, or collectors, and unlicensed individual person in Kentucky or in any other state or nation outside of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Posession

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on or about one's person. This applies to carrying a concealed firearm in one's own premises or dwelling.
Exempt from this prohibition are persons issued a license to carry concealed firearms, police officers, agents and messengers of express companies when on duty, and U.S. mail carriers on duty.

"Concealed on or about the person" has been recently defined as "concealment in such proximity to the person as to be convenient of access and within immediate physical reach."

Kentucky courts consider firearms located under a driver's seat concealed "on or about" the person, and are, therefore, unlawful. Firearms located in glove compartments, locked or unlocked, are not considered concealed.

Link Removed

Once you get a KY driver's license ( required 10 days after you move here) you can open carry or keep in built in console or glove box.

You're right about Kentucky honoring a New York State permit. Keep us posted on how this turns out. I'm thinking I'll be moving into the Richmond / Lexington area sometime later this year.

So then w/o my CCDW permit what the hell do I do with my handguns. Suppose I want to go shoot or carry them on my person but not concealed. Not really clear on this.

Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No
Registration of handguns? No
Licensing of owners of handguns? No
Permit to carry handguns? Yes
Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Residents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky who are citizens of the United States shall have the right to purchase or otherwise acquire rifles, shotguns, handguns, and any other firearms which they are permitted to purchase or otherwise acquire under federal law and the Kentucky Revised Statutes from properly licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, or collectors, and unlicensed individual person in Kentucky or in any other state or nation outside of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Posession

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on or about one's person. This applies to carrying a concealed firearm in one's own premises or dwelling.
Exempt from this prohibition are persons issued a license to carry concealed firearms, police officers, agents and messengers of express companies when on duty, and U.S. mail carriers on duty.

"Concealed on or about the person" has been recently defined as "concealment in such proximity to the person as to be convenient of access and within immediate physical reach."

Kentucky courts consider firearms located under a driver's seat concealed "on or about" the person, and are, therefore, unlawful. Firearms located in glove compartments, locked or unlocked, are not considered concealed.

Link Removed

Friend, you are over thinking this. It is understandable, considering the laws where you live. In kentucky a CCW is only for carrying concealed. We don't have all that pistol permit nonsense you are currently dealing with.

If you want to open carry, throw that baby in a holster and do it. If you want to take 47 guns out to the range, toss em in a bag and go for it. If you decide you want a new gun, you just go buy one. No wait and, with a ccw, they don't even have to call in a background check.

Kentucky is a free state, my good man.

One thing, if you have liberal friends in NY, don't let them know about us...they move here and before you know it we have tighter gun laws.:triniti:

"If you decide you want a new gun, you just go buy one. No wait and, with a ccw, they don't even have to call in a background check. "

Still must be called in, just not right that minute like those that don't have CCDW.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back