Moving to IL....

For 16 hours of training, that cost is in the right ballpark.

My training partner and I offered a Groupon for $95 that covered the full 16 hours, but we're in southern Illinois and that rate is no longer available. Not surprisingly, our classes are now full through the end of May.

Our regular cost is $175 for 16 hours. You might be able to find a similar rate if you look around.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll shop around. That place in Naperville looks pretty good and it doesn't look too far away.

Check out Buffalo Range Shooting Park in Ottawa. It would be a little longer drive for you, but the cost is only $120 for 16 hours.

I just wanted to follow up with everyone who was kind enough to respond to my OP and other questions. I've settled in to Chicagoland well and am happily married. After a couple of months I landed an amazing position as head of information technology for US subsidiary of a global corporation managing all operations here in the US. God is good.

I still miss the fields, waterfalls, valets, lakes, wildlife and mountains of NY, but hoping a road trip out west in a couple months will satiate me if only temporarily.

As far as my love of guns goes, it's only increased! I got my drivers license switched and my license plates (wow that was expensive!) and also got my FOID. Now I'm ready to take the ccw class. I was hoping to find one around here that also combined the Utah permit into the class. Do any of you guys know off hand of any classes like this?

I am also looking for a 300+yrd outdoor range to re-sight in my high powered rifle. I accept that I might have to go NW or S to find one of these places.

Thank you again for all of your replies!

Welcome to Illinois. You may already realize that there is a downstate-upstate divide here too. If you have not done so already, seriously consider joining the Illinois State Rifle Association. Another website to check out is illinoiscarry.com . It is an informative, well monitored site, that will help keep you informed on Illinois 2nd Amendment issues. There are differences of opinion, but purely personal attacks are kept to a minimum.

As for training you can google it or find recommendations on the Illinois Carry site. Many locations include Utah or other states’ along with the Illinois FCCL curriculum. Some may have electronic finger printing available. If you choose to do electronic finger prints, it is about $75 dollars at a private business. The first day is basic gun orientation and safe. The second is specific to the Firearms Safety Act. Other training may exempt you from the requirement for part of or all of the first day.
https://www.isp.state.il.us/appriss/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

I downloaded and read the law beforehand from the Illinois State Police site. The requirements for licensure are very basic. It is not a combat pistol course. Target qualifications are slow fire at 5, 7, and yards.

Thanks for the reply QO. I have already joined the ISRA back in May. I also joined Pheasants Forever. I'll be posting in IllinoisCarry tonight- thanks for the reminder!

I'm not sure if it's worth doing the finger prints. When I got my CCW in New York they did that and submitted them to the state and federal database. Thoughts?

Thanks for the reply QO. I have already joined the ISRA back in May. I also joined Pheasants Forever. I'll be posting in IllinoisCarry tonight- thanks for the reminder!

I'm not sure if it's worth doing the finger prints. When I got my CCW in New York they did that and submitted them to the state and federal database. Thoughts?

Fingerprints will speed up the processing time for your license. Current times are running around 35-55 days for applicants who submitted prints, to 90 or more for those who did not. Otherwise, there is no advantage to submitting fingerprints.

Buffalo Range Shooting Park is now only $100 for all 16 hours. They do not teach Utah, but pass out Florida permit applications as your IL class can be used to apply to Florida as well. Utah and Florida are very similar.

Do not get finger printing it is not required and just another way to pay the state for nothing. Just wait a few extra days and save the cash for boxes of ammo.

I took the ccw class at a gun shop in Lyons. If you are or ex military, you only have to take 8hrs or training. They only need a copy of your dd214 and of course you save a 100 bucks. The also do Utah for a extra charge. Sorry can't help on the 300 yard range, wish I new of some outdoor ranges around me, I got spoiled in AZ.

Thanks for the info all. I've looked into the buffalo range but it looks like they don't open again until March. I saw there was a range opening near the intersection of 355 and 55, so I'm going to check out their classes when construction is completed and they have their grand opening.

Illinois Concealed Carry Weapons has an upcoming class this weekend. It's a bit on the expensive side if you're not former military, but it includes a lot.

Range fees, digital fingerprints, Utah & Arizona fingerprints, passport photos, and assistance w/ CCW application.

You should be able to find them on Google; they're located in Villa Park.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back