Moving to IL....

d@v3

I'm planning a move to IL (not exactly by choice)... What do you guys suggest I do with my guns? I thought about applying for a non-resident cc permit, but I am reading they don't give out to NY? I already have a resident NY unrestricted carry permit and a non-resident PA unrestricted permit. :unsure:

I'm planning a move to IL (not exactly by choice)... What do you guys suggest I do with my guns? I thought about applying for a non-resident cc permit, but I am reading they don't give out to NY? I already have a resident NY unrestricted carry permit and a non-resident PA unrestricted permit. :unsure:

Are you planning to become a resident of IL? If so, you will need to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card to possess your firearms, and can apply for a resident CCL if you wish. http://ccl4illinois.com contains all the info you need.

If you plan to retain your residency in NY (e.g. if you are active military), the FOID is optional to possess firearms here in IL but you won't be able to purchase a firearm here and may have difficulty buying ammo from many vendors. You will also not be able to obtain an IL CCL unless you become a resident (which they define as having an IL driver's license).

By all means, bring your guns with you!

I will become a permanent resident and get a IL drivers license. So the order of operations will be:

A) Make the move
B) Change residency
C) Apply for FOID
D) Apply for CCW

So during this whole process I will just have to risk being caught and tried as a felon until the IL powers that be decide to approve both the CCW and FOID permits?

Please do not risk becoming a felon. No reason to break the law.

IL allows a grace period to get your FOID card, and turnaround time has been pretty good lately. Of course, many of us would prefer that no FOID card be needed, but sadly this state does not agree.

Unfortunately, you will need to wait to carry concealed.

Which part of the state are you moving to? My teaching partner and I teach the CCL class here in southern Illinois, not too far from St. Louis, if you are interested.

Please do not risk becoming a felon. No reason to break the law.

IL allows a grace period to get your FOID card, and turnaround time has been pretty good lately. Of course, many of us would prefer that no FOID card be needed, but sadly this state does not agree.

Unfortunately, you will need to wait to carry concealed.

Which part of the state are you moving to? My teaching partner and I teach the CCL class here in southern Illinois, not too far from St. Louis, if you are interested.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So can I get an IL FOID even though I have not changed my residency yet and having that will allow me to legally posses my guns? I will be moving to Chicagoland depending on where I can find a job.... my future wife is from there (we're getting married in the Chicago 'burbs in April). So yeah, I have been job hunting which has been difficult too.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So can I get an IL FOID even though I have not changed my residency yet and having that will allow me to legally posses my guns? I will be moving to Chicagoland depending on where I can find a job.... my future wife is from there (we're getting married in the Chicago 'burbs in April). So yeah, I have been job hunting which has been difficult too.

You'll need to move first & obtain an IL driver's license. You then have 60 days after obtaining your driver's license to get a FOID card. This should be very doable under the current timeline for issuing new cards.

You *might* have some challenges in Chicago with mag limits and so-called "assault weapons." You will need to do some research on those to determine what is prohibited. I don't have a full understanding of Chicago's laws.

Thank you for the help, KWC! I'm sure I'll be back to this thread in the near future for more information.

Thank you for the help, KWC! I'm sure I'll be back to this thread in the near future for more information.

Also be sure to check out IllinoisCarry.com. It is a very active organization that runs an IL-specific discussion forum and promotes 2A rights throughout the state. It's a great group of people.

So... I'm still having an awful time finding a job and my wedding date is April 2015 and I'm getting discouraged. We will be getting married in Chicagoland and will be living there permanently thereafter.

Would anybody have any suggestions that might help? My fiancee currently works in the Orland Park area, so would have to be in that area. I am one course short of a B.A. degree in History which I am in the process of finishing. I am currently a healthcare IT Manager in the non-profit sector, but would love to do something for 2nd Amendment Advocacy, but at this point I just need to find something so I can move out there.

I would be more than willing to give my resume to any of you to take a look at. Thanks in advance for any of your help!

On your way to Il. from NY., take a right turn in Toledo. I'm sure Michigan has more to offer you & your fianc'ee.

Yes, I'm sure it does, but as fate would have it her family is in the Chicagoland area. lol

Thank you all again for your advice!

I figured I would bump this up. An IllinoisCarry member rightfully stated that once I make the move and build friendships at ranges, church etc... I'll have a better chance of finding work. It's still daunting to leave my current salaried position w/ benefits for the unknown. That being said, if anyone here thinks they can help me find work, I would be more than willing to share my credentials. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll be moving permanently to the Chicagoland area on the weekend of Feb. 28, unless I can find work there before then. I don to know where I will be living yet, but probably near the Lemont area.

I'm planning a move to IL

Not even for love would I go back to that state. Best part of Illinois was seeing it in my Rear view. I left NY in 1978 and never looked back. Born in Binghamton NY. The first week I was in Illinois I vowed to get out as soon as possible. Good luck on your new adventure, still time to pack your bags and guns, head south before the ball and chain are attached. LOL

Alright, I'm now officially a resident of IL... Next step is changing my license over, then FOID, then Concealed Carry. Yes, this sounds ambitious! I'm up in Lemont, anyone know any concealed carry instructors around here?

Thanks! I can see this is going to be an expensive and drawn out process since I have to do everything in the right order (Drivers License>FOID>Concealed Carry). The concealed carry class alone costs $225!

Thanks! I can see this is going to be an expensive and drawn out process since I have to do everything in the right order (Drivers License>FOID>Concealed Carry). The concealed carry class alone costs $225!

Unfortunately it is an expensive proposition, when you add in the $150 CCL fee, $55 prints (optional), and $10 FOID fee.

If you don't mind driving to Naperville, here's where I took the class. It's $149 for the 16 hours. We still did the range at Rink's (only 10 minutes from the classroom).

West Suburban Concealed Carry | All classes instructed by Police Officers

I only had to take the 2nd class because of military, it was $125 for that + the $55 for prints and the $150 for the permit. It's good for 5 years. If that link doesn't work just google West Suburban Concealed Carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back