Moving to FL from TN. Will I be considered a non resident of TN upon entering FL?

better2014

I was wondering if you can help me understand the reciprocity laws.

I do not want to run into a misunderstanding with a police officer, so I need to be 100% sure if I am able to:
1) Have my handgun on me loaded or within reach while crossing from TN to GA to FL
2) If while in FL I can carry my handgun with me while I still have my concealed carry from TN.

I have read that FL accepts TN's concealed carry of "residents of TN", but not sure if the technicality of my intent to "move" to FL makes me immediately upon entering FL a non resident of TN and therefore they would not accept my concealed carry? Or I will still be a resident of TN until I am officially a resident of FL?

Thanks for your input!

You will be a resident of TN until you establish a residency in FL. Once you are established in FL, with a home/APT address and a DL you will then have to get a FL CCW. There is a grace period to keep you legal until the paper work goes through but not certain on how long your grace period will be.

You will be a resident of TN until you establish a residency in FL. Once you are established in FL, with a home/APT address and a DL you will then have to get a FL CCW. There is a grace period to keep you legal until the paper work goes through but not certain on how long your grace period will be.

Thanks for the heads up. That makes sense, but wanted to be 100% sure. I guess one cannot be stateless whiles moving and until you establish residency you must be a resident of the last state you resided. I wonder if it is 1 yr after having signed a lease or DL updated that you are a FL resident. In that time my TN concealed should be fine as I understand it then.

What about while traveling through GA and GA-FL.? Is that interstate traffic regulated by federal law or I am fine with having my gun on me?

If you have a smart phone there is a app called 50 state legal. It is a very good app and they up date it very regularly. Put in your ccw and it shows you all the state's that accept your licence and their laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

You can get a FL nonresident permit while you're in TN. Once you become a resident of FL you can make an address change with the Dept or Agriculture and it will become a resident permit.

I was wondering if you can help me understand the reciprocity laws.

I do not want to run into a misunderstanding with a police officer, so I need to be 100% sure if I am able to:
1) Have my handgun on me loaded or within reach while crossing from TN to GA to FL
2) If while in FL I can carry my handgun with me while I still have my concealed carry from TN.

I have read that FL accepts TN's concealed carry of "residents of TN", but not sure if the technicality of my intent to "move" to FL makes me immediately upon entering FL a non resident of TN and therefore they would not accept my concealed carry? Or I will still be a resident of TN until I am officially a resident of FL?

Thanks for your input!
you do not become an official resident of FLA until you do one of these things:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
Accept employment
Register to Vote
File for a homestead exemption
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months

more info can be found here:
Moving to Florida

also there is no reason for you not to start the process of getting your CWFL now by submitting the application now, start here:

Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back