Moving from NJ to Arizona. Need advice

Bobcat Bill

Hi. I am moving from NJ to Arizona. I have several legal hunting rifles and registered handguns. What is the best way to transport to Arizona. I have a non-resident Florida CCW. Not sure if that helps. If I use my pick up truck to transport when I move, do you see any potential problems moving from one state to the other? I think I am protected under the Federal transportation laws of firearms. I have never had to transport over such a long distance. Any potential problems? Thanks for your input and help. Bobcat Bill

Hi. I am moving from NJ to Arizona. I have several legal hunting rifles and registered handguns. What is the best way to transport to Arizona. I have a non-resident Florida CCW. Not sure if that helps. If I use my pick up truck to transport when I move, do you see any potential problems moving from one state to the other? I think I am protected under the Federal transportation laws of firearms. I have never had to transport over such a long distance. Any potential problems? Thanks for your input and help. Bobcat Bill

Hey Bill...glad to hear we got another gun-nut coming to AZ!

The N.R.A. has put together a good list of gun laws by state here: Link Removed So, plan your route first, then look up the states you have planned to go through and adjust it accordingly. I've made the trip from AZ to Michigan and referred to that list, it's very good.

Almost all state laws allow transportation of firearms in locked cases in the trunk and/or in luggage. It would be unreasonable not to. Most states allow for carrying the locked cases in the cab of your truck if you don't have a canopy.

I would personally avoid Illinois and Wisconsin on your trip, simply because they are very gun unfriendly as far as the laws and reciprocity are concerned (I'm sure there are plenty of gun-loving individuals in those states, though...not referring to you all, my friends).

But if the cases stay locked and firearms stay unloaded, and you don't get pulled over, you won't have a problem. Once you get to AZ, you can carry concealed without a CCW, though there are some advantages to having one...and Arizona will honor your non-resident FL permit.

Also, there is no requirement in AZ to register any handgun or long gun with the state. And, we have a relatively new law here that says that any firearm manufactured and sold in AZ is not subject to federal gun laws! Go Ruger! I love this state! :pleasantry:

Hey Bill...glad to hear we got another gun-nut coming to AZ!

I would personally avoid Illinois and Wisconsin on your trip, simply because they are very gun unfriendly as far as the laws and reciprocity are concerned (I'm sure there are plenty of gun-loving individuals in those states, though...not referring to you all, my friends).

But if the cases stay locked and firearms stay unloaded, and you don't get pulled over, you won't have a problem. Once you get to AZ, you can carry concealed without a CCW, though there are some advantages to having one...and Arizona will honor your non-resident FL permit.

Also, there is no requirement in AZ to register any handgun or long gun with the state. And, we have a relatively new law here that says that any firearm manufactured and sold in AZ is not subject to federal gun laws! Go Ruger! I love this state! :pleasantry:

Definitely avoid IL...it's easy enough to route around it.

There is no requirement to register in NJ either...:no:

OP...you don't say when you are moving...but you can apply for your AZ permit completely thru the mail....using your FL permit for the training requirement....you'll have it in 2 weeks...it will fill in some of those gaps going across the country that FL does not cover...and you will already have it for when you move in..

I have a solution

Go toy our FFL, send them to my FFL, I will pick them up and store them for you....I {promise} you will get them back. ;)

18 USC 926a:
Link Removed

Keep the guns unloaded, and the ammo and guns in locked containers and you are good to go for the entire trip. I would recommend a small uhaul trailer, myself. That way also, with the trailer, you won't be able to see NJ in the rear view mirror!

Never, ever consent to any search of the locked containers by law enforcement under any circumstance.

1st Congrats on your move toward a Freedom.. I lived in NY for 12 years, so I know..

You mentioned your guns are Registered (I presume in NJ)... You need to find out if you need to "un-register" them as you are leaving the state.

Great Video, I've seen it before..

1st Congrats on your move toward a Freedom.. I lived in NY for 12 years, so I know..

You mentioned your guns are Registered (I presume in NJ)... You need to find out if you need to "un-register" them as you are leaving the state.

Great Video, I've seen it before..

Unlike NY, NJ does not have mandatory registration. I do believe that only NY "requires" you to send you guns out by FFL when you move....:fie:

Unlike NY, NJ does not have mandatory registration. I do believe that only NY "requires" you to send you guns out by FFL when you move....:fie:

Ahhhhh, New York! What a miserable state to be in (a great state to have LEFT BEHIND!).

I left the land of (Up)Chukkie Schumer, Dhimmi Blumberg and (Not-so)Hillarious Hillary--for the State of Arizona.

---Talk about a breath of fresh air!

to the OP, Congratulation on your escape from the "Prison State". I also escaped 7 years ago to Virginia, but will be heading out to either Arizona or New Mexico in the next few years.
FYI
As far as "unregistering" you NJ firearm...technically NJ doesn't have firearms registration, although when you bought them you were required to get a purchase permit (another bs story from the state since the purchase permit has all your info & the weapon serial #) Anyhow...As per the NJ State Police, I was told there is no way to remove this permit info with NJ unless you sell them to another NJ resident and their purchase permit will supersede yours.
(then again we all know they talk out of their A$$)
This is my dilemma with my NJ bought handguns, the only way you should sell them (if you wanted) is via an FFL. This way they will document the transfer.
If not, they will also come back to you.

You shouldn't have any problems with transport if you keep them in a locked container separate from ammo in your trunk. Do avoid stopping in Illinois as the federal transport law no longer covers you if you stop for ANYTHING, including gas.
I have to think 2x every time before I cross the Mississippi River into the state run by gun hating chicago politicians. Without an illinois FOID card, even possession of a gun is illegal. :mad::mad::mad:

Now that said if you do decide to go through illinois (which I don't endorse or recommend), keep them stored properly, don't give the leo's any reason to stop you, and do not consent to any searches.:no:

This is my dilemma with my NJ bought handguns, the only way you should sell them (if you wanted) is via an FFL. This way they will document the transfer.
If not, they will also come back to you.

So could you FFL them from NJ to yourself at an Arizona Gun Shop?? Would that get them off the list in NJ?? It would cost something, but at least the slate would be clean.. Just a thought.

want some advice? first, have a huge party; I was raised in Joisey and wouldn't go back if you paid me ... second, get ready to have a ball in gun-friendly AZ, where people don't treat you like you're poison because you happen to believe in the right of free people to defend themselves and their loves ones with the proper tools for the job ... third, wave if you're passing through Texas!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back