Movie theater vs. a theatre

Profisher777

In michigan, they state that a Theatre is a pistol free zone if it has a seating of 2500 or more. Would that include a Movie theater or not? I dont see why I shouldnt be able to carry in one, but as a law abiding citizen, im at a loss. If there are no signs posted at the entrance (which there usually isnt anyways) am I good to go?

Movie theather or more than 2500 seatimg

Guns are not allowed at any theather in Michigan. It does not have to be posted at the theather. 2500 or more seating is for any event and must be posted at the entrance.

This is very disappointing....I guess I will wait until I join the sheriffs posse before I will get the privilege to carry to my favorite movie theaters.

theaters in MI as pistol free zones

In michigan, they state that a Theatre is a pistol free zone if it has a seating of 2500 or more. Would that include a Movie theater or not? I dont see why I shouldnt be able to carry in one, but as a law abiding citizen, im at a loss. If there are no signs posted at the entrance (which there usually isnt anyways) am I good to go?

I usually refer to the statute on questions of this nature, and when in doubt I will look to see if MCRGO (Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners) has any clarification on the "legalese."

I found this in the FAQ/Ask the Lawyer section on the MCRGO website (source: Link Removed

Q: One of the places that I cannot carry concealed is, "An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals..." (MCL 28.425o. In a movie theater complex (example 18 screens) is the number of seats the total of each individual room or the total of all rooms combined?
A: The word "facility" is not defined in the statute. When a word does not have a statutory meaning, the dictionary definition applies. One of the meanings given for "facility" in the American Heritage dictionary is, "Something created to serve a particular function." An entertainment facility is something created to supply entertainment. Therefore, the 2,500 seating capacity rule applies to the entire movie complex and not just one theater within the complex.

From this, it would appear that concealed weapons are OK in smaller theaters [and entertainment facilities] where the overall seating capacity of the entire complex is less than 2,500.

Hope this helps.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back