Mounting camera to a scope.

JD Beam

*generic catchy phrase*
Anyone set up a camera to take pics through a scope? I am thinking about seeing if I can design something that will fit most point and shoot digital cameras and hold time within the relief of the scope.

Although I am worried about slim pickings this season with all the wild fires we have had down here in central Texas.

Well a friend of mine and I were talking about the camera setup and decided to feel around and see if anyone on here had looked into it before I go digging on the google for ideas.

JD

HK used to make & sell a "kill camera" that sighted through the scope, and was timed to snap the photo at the time of impact.

I have seen alot of the telescopes/spotting scopes camera mounts but my question is will they handle the recoil? I know the picatinny mount ones are not goin to be all that great for 100+ yard shots. I kicked the idea over to a friend of mine that does CAD work. I can probably have him design something real nice that we could hand off to someone with a CNC milling machine to make... Until then my search goes on.

Link Removed

Will probably end up buying one of those for now, if it holds up to recoil cool, guess I will have to test it with my cheap camera.

I saw that during all my searching, only problem is that he is using a air rifle. I am pretty sure my 243, 223 and 300 win mag have a little more recoil that a PCP rifle. There is a guy who has a setup but he built it off the stock of the rifle and I really don't want to mess up the wood work...

I saw that during all my searching, only problem is that he is using a air rifle. I am pretty sure my 243, 223 and 300 win mag have a little more recoil that a PCP rifle. There is a guy who has a setup but he built it off the stock of the rifle and I really don't want to mess up the wood work...

You might be surprised the amount of recoil an air rifle has. Most standard scopes will break on an air rifle because of something with the way they work that causes a double recoil. Obviously a 300 mag has a bunch more recoil, but a 223 in an AR might actually be less.

I ran across this this guys site and saved it in my favorites. I found most of his videos pretty neat. You might be surprised at how much shock some of those cameras can take. Which ever option you chose to go with make sure you buy the extended warranty for the camera and post some videos of you shooting! I thought his use of mounting hardware was very clever and just wanted to share the link.

Ha actually its not the camera itself I am worried about, I have 2 5MP cameras that were given to me by friends because the purchased newer and better ones. The cameras I will be using have taken rides on my mt bike attached to the frame or handlebars. My worry is the mount damaging the scope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back