Most Strategic Way to Maintain/Obtain Permits CT/MA/NY

CJet

Easy E
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out the most strategic (and beneficial) way to keep my current CCW permits, but also obtain a NY permit. Here's my present situation:

I am a CT resident, and presently have an unrestricted CT CCW permit.
I presently hold a MA Class A LTC Non-Resident permit
I presently hold a UT CCW Non-Resident permit

At the end of this year, I'm going to be moving to NYC. While I know that getting an unrestricted carry permit in NYC is an impossibility, I do spend a lot of time in Westchester County and would find it beneficial to have a NYS CCW. I recognize that the only way to obtain a NY license of any sort is to declare residency within the state, but I'm wondering if it's worth it (and then having to switch my CT permit to a Non-Resident), to get the NYS CCW. Additionally, if I was living in NYC, what are the chances that I could get a permit to transport to and from the range, and store the weapon in my residence?

I'm fairly new to all of this, so I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question. As someone relatively new to the CCW world, I have to say, it's one of the most confusing and complicated endeavors I've ever embarked on.

Any help would be most appreciated.

CJ

You've picked a tough battle.

NY state does not issue non-resident permits and does not honor permits from other states. Period. (Unless you are a LEO or retired LEO, you might have better luck then).

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard on this and other forums that obtaining a permit in any of the 5 boroughs is next to impossible, and extremely expensive (like $5000).

I've also heard that Westchester is extremely difficult.

NY permits (outside of the City) are issued by the county you reside in. Some counties are practically "shall-issue" and some are very difficult if not impossible. Some issue "recreational" restrictions and are very choosy about issuing unrestricted permits, others are not. I'd suggest that you research (this site has a lot of information, and handgunlaw.us does as well). You will have better luck in the more rural counties where there is a culture of hunting and other outdoor sports. Check on the NY State forum on this site where there is lots of information for several NY counties.

Good luck.

What I CAN tell you is that CT and Mass are very good about giving non-resident permits but you MUST, MUST, MUST have a permit in your state of legal residence in order for either of them to issue a non-resident permit.

What I CAN tell you is that CT and Mass are very good about giving non-resident permits but you MUST, MUST, MUST have a permit in your state of legal residence in order for either of them to issue a non-resident permit.

You are correct on MA but not on CT

CT - You must hold a valid permit or
license to carry a pistol or revolver
issued by a recognized United
States jurisdiction.

CT Application instructions

So having UT will allow you to maintain your CT license.

It looks like I'm probably just going to try and find some way to transport my firearm to and from the range legally, with no CCW in NYC. If you're a resident of NYC is there any way that you can go to another county to try and get a NYS CCW permit? It's just amazing that some states make it so easy, and others so hard.

NY PENAL CODE ss400

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the
licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the
applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of
business as merchant or storekeeper;

However, even if you were to get one in a county other than NYC....a license issue by another county is NOT good in NYC unless you obtain special permission from NYC

6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section
shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or
ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person or
premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not
otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective
throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the
city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by
the police commissioner of that city
. Such license to carry or possess
shall be valid within the city of New York in the absence of a permit
issued by the police commissioner of that city, provided that (a) the
firearms covered by such license have been purchased from a licensed
dealer within the city of New York and are being transported out of said
city forthwith and immediately from said dealer by the licensee in a
locked container during a continuous and uninterrupted trip; or provided
that (b) the firearms covered by such license are being transported by
the licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New
York is continuous and uninterrupted; or provided that (c) the firearms

covered by such license are carried by armored car security guards
transporting money or other valuables, in, to, or from motor vehicles
commonly known as armored cars, during the course of their employment;

Face it...NYC just sucks...:angry:

I've already come to the terms with the fact that it's going to be a MAJOR uphill battle to try and get any sort of CCW in NYC. However, if I live in NYC and want to get a permit so that I could legally carry in other parts of the state (Westchester, Dutchess, Suffolk, Nassau, etc.) is there any way to go about doing that?

CJ

How much do you value your 2A rights? Are you moving to NYC for work? If it were me.....I'd reside in Stamford, CT and take the short train ride into NYC. While you wouldn't be able to carry while at work, you'd be able to carry while at home in CT. Just a thought.

It looks like I'm probably just going to try and find some way to transport my firearm to and from the range legally, with no CCW in NYC. If you're a resident of NYC is there any way that you can go to another county to try and get a NYS CCW permit? It's just amazing that some states make it so easy, and others so hard.

this is all thanks to people known as politicians.

How much do you value your 2A rights? Are you moving to NYC for work? If it were me.....I'd reside in Stamford, CT and take the short train ride into NYC. While you wouldn't be able to carry while at work, you'd be able to carry while at home in CT. Just a thought.

It's definitely a thought, but if I changed my CT res permit to a non-res permit, and found some way to get a NYC premises permit (even if it means using an attorney), I'd be able to have my weapon at home, and then take it with me to virtually all surrounding states (except NJ, which, honestly, is a very dirty place anyway :)).

This would suit my needs, but I'd really like to be able to carry unrestricted in the rest of NY State (namely Westchester). Any humanly possible way to do this while living in NYC? Can NYC issue me a permit that would be unrestricted in NY State, but restricted to premises within in NYC?

I had a NY (Westchester) permit however it was restricted for "Target" only. When I moved to CT I had to write a letter to the Westchester County Clerk Pistol Div. stating I moved and therefore had to terminate my licence. I could not have a non-residents licence. :fie:

Good luck!

Los

I live in Ct and hold five ccw permits. Ct,fl,pa,nh,&ut. I am landlocked to carry outside my state that is why I right to Everyone I can to pass the National ccw bill. Join the cause and help support Our Right to carry anywhere!:cool:

I reside in Suffolk County and currently have my NYS pistol permit, issued by Suffolk County Sherrif. It is classsified as a "sportsman" permit and allows me to carry concealed ONLY while traveling to or from a range, gun club or while hunting. Obtaining a permit for Concealed Carry is darn near impossible considering the draconian restrictions. Anyone have any advice on how to obtain a CCW in Suffolk County?

I live in Erie County, NY and my NYS permit is unrestricted, however on the permit it say that it is not valid for CCW in NY city without special permission of the city, therefore I can't CCW in NYC which is why I try to avoid that wretched place. Good luck trying to get a permit in NYC and if they do issue you one it will probably be restricted and you will only be able to carry it for target/hunting. You're in for an uphill battle, and I truly wish you the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back