Mossberg model designations?

wild eyed willy

I reciently picked up a Mossberg 500 ASG, Shotgun... Used, got a good price.
I have been searching online trying to get some idea how old it is and what the exact model is.... My research has turned up that the letter A designates it to be a 12 gauge,

I can't find any information on what the (SG ) means... And does anyone know if the year it was made is encoded in the serial number?

Any help you can offer would be great..

Has anyone got one of these,,,,,,,, has 28" barrel, wood furniture, rear peep sight( may be after market)........

I plan on changing out the wood to lighten the weight... I have not decided if I want to keep a stock or go straight pistol grip.. Cutting the barrel down from 28" was suggested to me, but I think I will leave it alone, I want to keep it's current capabilities...It is one of my SHTF guns, but I still like food in the pot ability..you never know, I might need that one day.

I think the barrel is removable and interchangeable. So if you did want to shorten it, I'd just buy a shorter barrel. That way you could change between the two lengths by swapping barrels.

I got a responce from The Mossberg website, The serial number starts with J and that means it was made between 1983 and 1987 The S = Slugger model and the G= Field grade..... Just incase anyone was wondering besides me......

Good Idea on the barrel, I could change to a 20 inch, which will help drop the weight and make it more managable in tight places..... Thanks

I have a 500 TC with 18" barrel. Replaced that junky 'hand destroyer' stock pistol grip with a Hogue. Made a world of difference. For a full stock with pistol grip, go with a Knoxx. JMHO

I saw the Knoxx, they have one model with recoil supression and one without... Has anyone used either of these? Care to leave a testimonial?

I have the Knoxx stock w/recoil reducer and I can testify it makes a world of difference. (ditto on the Hogue pistol grip vs the hard factory grip!) Picked up my Knoxx on eBay for $70. I have never used the Knoxx w/o the reducer so I can;t speak on that one but the Knoxx stock with reducer is a world better than an adjustable ATI stock,

I have the Knoxx stock w/recoil reducer and I can testify it makes a world of difference. (ditto on the Hogue pistol grip vs the hard factory grip!) Picked up my Knoxx on eBay for $70. I have never used the Knoxx w/o the reducer so I can;t speak on that one but the Knoxx stock with reducer is a world better than an adjustable ATI stock,
I'll have to check ebay, because the Knoxx recoil supression stock is around $100.00 at cheaper than dirt.... Even more at some other sites..... Thanks for the reveiw.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back