Mossberg 930 JM Pro Poor Quality and Slow Customer Service

markt99

I bought a new 22” 930 JM pro almost 5 weeks ago.

On 6/8 I fired the gun for the first time. Before firing I disassembled according to the manual. I thoroughly cleaned the gun with rem oil and wiped all remaining oil. I additionally added a drop of rem oil to each rail on the bolt.

My first range trip I fired 50 rounds of independence 8 shot 1 ounce 2-3/4” rounds at 3-1/4 dram equivalent. There were no malfunctions in the cycling of the gun, but rounds repeatedly got hung up on the seam between the regular magazine tube and the magazine tube extension. This caused all tension on the remaining rounds in the magazine tube to disappear causing malfunctions. This is the first problem.

My second range trip was on 6/21/2013. I first attempted with Winchester super target 8 shot 1 oz 2-3/4” rounds at 2-3/4 dram equivalent. Failure to eject (Out of 6 rounds) was 100%

On the same day I also tried Winchester super target 8 shot 1-1/8 oz 2-3/4” rounds at 3 dram equivalent. Failure to eject (out of 10 rounds) was 90%. This is the second and most extreme issue.

From advice from Roger at Mossberg technical service I cleaned the barrel and gas cylinder. I used a plastic piece to thoroughly clean out the gas ports. I went to the range a 3rd time. 100% of the 2-3/4 dram ammo failed to eject (Only tried 3 rounds). 50% (Out of 14 rounds) of the 3 dram ammo failed to eject and the ones that did eject BARELY made it out of the gun. They were in a pile just beside my foot.

Also, I’ve noticed that the barrel is very dingy inside no matter how much I clean. Other shotgun’s I’ve owned could always be cleaned to a gleaming shine on the inside.
I talked to Mossberg customer service on 6/21. They said it would be a few days before they could send a shipping label. Here it is 7/2 and still no shipping label. Apparently Fedex can’t find it. They say they are sending me another.

I’m really disappointed in this gun. I wish I could go back in time and not be a cheap skate and take the plunge on a more expensive shotgun. It’s bad enough that the gun wasn’t shipped functioning correctly. It makes it even worse that it is taking so long just to get it sent in for warranty repair.

This will definitely be my first and last Mossberg.

I would dissemble it again and take a close look at the problem areas to check for burrs or any machining errors. I have a 930 SPX, that has about 700 rounds through it with only 2 or 3 malfunctions. I've had more malfunctions with $2000 Benellis than Ive had with this $650 shotgun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back