Mosin or ruger.

misunderstood

Im looking for another hunting rifle. I ran across the ruger scout and fell in love. I like the forward scope and box magazines. Now archangel has come out with a stock for the mosin that provides box magazine. So i trying to decide which way to go. I have plenty of ammo for mosin. None of 308 for ruger. Ruger $800 Plus scope. Mosin (after work and accessories ) 450 plus scope. What are all of your thoughts? Which way to go? Looking for opinions and thoughts i may not have had.

Mosin! Mosinmosinmosinmosinmosinmosin!

I have a standard 91/30 and bought an ATI scout scope kit. Cheap but works. Only thing I had to do was replace the rings with steel ones (they're aluminum.) the kit also came with a recoil pad which increases the eye relief to the 8 inches needed.

Installation was simple. Took a galvanized steel pin and knocked out the pin holding in the rear leaf sight (the pin it hinges on) then pulled out the steel spring, put em in a bag and installed the rail and scope. Took it to the range and zeroed it in a few weeks ago. Holds zero.

You can look it up at sportsmans guide.

Cost me $200 total, including the threadlock, scope kit, steel rings rifle and a few stripper clips.

I have a traditional hunting 270 works fine. I just really like the forward scope design. Tikka look nice. I want this rifle to be a faster at get my sights set.

If money was no object? The Scout, hands down man. But, money is an object... I have an M44 but no Scout. If you already have tons of 54R, stick with the Mosin... no telling when you'll be able to get a good amount of .308 again at a good price. Do you reload? That'd help a bit with the .308 price-point and availability. You mentioned this is for hunting(I presume the non-human kind), you don't really need a detachable mag. If you're hunting deer or boar, I don't see where you'd be able to get off more than a few rounds before it's dead or run off. But, do whatever feels right for ya.

If money was no object? The Scout, hands down man. But, money is an object... I have an M44 but no Scout. If you already have tons of 54R, stick with the Mosin... no telling when you'll be able to get a good amount of .308 again at a good price. Do you reload? That'd help a bit with the .308 price-point and availability. You mentioned this is for hunting(I presume the non-human kind), you don't really need a detachable mag. If you're hunting deer or boar, I don't see where you'd be able to get off more than a few rounds before it's dead or run off. But, do whatever feels right for ya.

Good advice on the hunting. I never get off more than 2 shots at any deer in the woods with any rifle. Any more than 2, and you're just wasting ammo anyways, or meat...the mosin might be heavy as hell, but if you ever come across a bear, any hit you make will definitely count. Plus, Brown Bear goes for about $12 a box. You should see what that 203gr SP does to a whitetail from 15 yards! Gives you time to pick up your casing, pop a mag in your .22, walk behind the head, check for life and put one in the brain.

Whoa, whoa... you hit a deer at 15 yards with a 203gr SP going roughly 2300 fps and you still had to put one in the skull...? Poor placement or you just don't feel like waiting in the stand for 10 minutes? The last deer I busted was at 60 yards using 170gr SP .30-06 from a Browning Safari bolt-action w/ a 20" barrel and that deer dropped without taking a breath right on the corn!!! Granted, it was one of better placed shots... right behind the left shoulder.

I never shoot down an animal. Always been a stickler for one sure shot. Never been dump the magazine type guy. I want the magazine for different reasons. Mainly for quicker loading not reloading . lets just say i want to have rifle in truck all day long but that evening if time allowed to climb the stand and be ready quickly. This would have really helped out this past season.

I never shoot down an animal. Always been a stickler for one sure shot. Never been dump the magazine type guy. I want the magazine for different reasons. Mainly for quicker loading not reloading . lets just say i want to have rifle in truck all day long but that evening if time allowed to climb the stand and be ready quickly. This would have really helped out this past season.

What's your typical engagement distance?

Oh god. Last year from 30 yards to almost 300. The 30 yards reason i want scout sytle. To have open and telescopic sights. I dont like rear mounted scopes very high up. Im wierd. Btw the 30 yards shot went behind one shoulder exited in front of other shoulder with 270 win 160 gr. Deer ran 40 yards. Dernest thing i have seen.

Whoa, whoa... you hit a deer at 15 yards with a 203gr SP going roughly 2300 fps and you still had to put one in the skull...? Poor placement or you just don't feel like waiting in the stand for 10 minutes? The last deer I busted was at 60 yards using 170gr SP .30-06 from a Browning Safari bolt-action w/ a 20" barrel and that deer dropped without taking a breath right on the corn!!! Granted, it was one of better placed shots... right behind the left shoulder.
I don't own any hunting land so i have to get on public. Your deer is down and out of sight for any more than 5 minutes and somebody will steal it. I had two taken from me this year and a trophy doe taken last year. I put them through the lungs if I can, but in the brush, i take any opportunity given. Woods are thick here, the rest of the prime hunting land is in the hummocks. I don't hunt from a stand, stalking is more fun :)

Oh god. Last year from 30 yards to almost 300. The 30 yards reason i want scout sytle. To have open and telescopic sights. I dont like rear mounted scopes very high up. Im wierd. Btw the 30 yards shot went behind one shoulder exited in front of other shoulder with 270 win 160 gr. Deer ran 40 yards. Dernest thing i have seen.
Not unheard of though. I shot out the back hip on a doe 2 seasons ago. It blew her leg nearly off and yet off she went. There was a pretty wide swath of gristle. Chased her 300 yards before losing sight. Before i see a comment about my marksmanship...lol it was a horrible shot. I shouldn't have taken it but it was first to last day of deer season and about 30 minutes to sundown.

Get a reproduction PU scope for the mosin? You can keep both. Looks pretty cool too

I don't own any hunting land so i have to get on public. Your deer is down and out of sight for any more than 5 minutes and somebody will steal it. I had two taken from me this year and a trophy doe taken last year. I put them through the lungs if I can, but in the brush, i take any opportunity given. Woods are thick here, the rest of the prime hunting land is in the hummocks. I don't hunt from a stand, stalking is more fun :)

Brush hunting eh? Close range like that... you ever thought about a Marlin 1894 .44mag lever-gun? They're one hell of a brush gun! It'll knock a deer on it's ass!

Brush hunting eh? Close range like that... you ever thought about a Marlin 1894 .44mag lever-gun? They're one hell of a brush gun! It'll knock a deer on it's ass!

Never took the mosin brush hunting before, but with the energy that thing carries, I thought it would do the trick. as for a marlin, I have but it's a bit much on the price. I was actually thinking about the silver 45-70. can't remember what its called though. My 12 ga does the trick, now that I remember that it's a push-pull lol nothing like hiding under deadfall and waiting for the buck to wander up to you and pulling the trigger and hearing that click lol ever seen a deer run with it's belly scraping the ground? I have.

Around here there are two types of hunt
Still and dog. I dont run dog. If a hunter here went treking thru woods you would have one hungry hunter.

My version of a Mosin scout rifle :biggrin:. Zeroed at 100 yds, it would make a nice shorter-range (<300 yds) hunting rifle if I were a hunter.

2013-03-20141540_zps958dae7c.jpg

Thats very similar to what i am thinking about doing. Shortened and a see thru scope mount. I really like the archangel stock but will be may before anyone get their orders filled. Still got time to think about it.

My version of a Mosin scout rifle :biggrin:. Zeroed at 100 yds, it would make a nice shorter-range (<300 yds) hunting rifle if I were a hunter.

2013-03-20141540_zps958dae7c.jpg

Must be nice to have that shortened barrel. I've dinged and scratched the forestock many times while attempting to get a bead on a moving deer while in the brush. Got a closeup of the bayonett? Is it the same geneva-banned version as I have?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back