Monthly practice with a pistol

HKS

To be accurate with a pistol, monthly practice is the minimum requirement. Weekly practice would be ideal, but that costs more money than I can allocate to shooting.

There are so many things to practice with a pistol that it keeps you busy all year long no matter how often that you go.

First step is the draw from concealment. For the 3 oclock IWB or OWB carry position, the first action is to move both your hands over to the side where your pistol is, then raise up the shirt or sweat shirt or sweater with both hands, and while holding the fabric up with the non-shooting hand, grasp the tang of the pistol firmly with the shooting hand, and at the same time press the thumb on the snap of the holster to release it. Then you draw the pistol from the holster and point the muzzle forward as you turn the butt of the grip to touch your hip.

This is position #1 and from here you have your first chance to take a shot if close -- too close for comfort. You need to make sure that your shooting hand is kept close to and pressed against your body while it holds the fabric up.

For a Glock design or a double action pistol in condition #2, you can simply shoot by pulling the trigger now. The Glock trigger will be lighter than a non-Glock double action. For a 1911A1 in condition #1, you need first to flick off the safety. This is a disadvantage for the 1911's because it makes them slightly slower on the draw while you fumble for the safety and flick it off.

For the second firing position where your opponent is not so close that you need to shoot from the hip, you then continue the movement of your shooting hand by raising the pistol in your shooting hand while your non-shooting hand lets go of the fabric and clenches the fingers over the fingers of the shooting hand, keeping your elbows close to your body and in contact with your chest. This position still keeps the pistol close to you, so that you can shoot more accurately with both hands. For a Glock design, you can pull the trigger now the moment you have sighted-in on the target. For a double action non-Glock this is when you can cock the hammer with either thumb for a softer trigger pull. For the 1911A1 this is when you would release the safety with your thumb.

If your opponent is far enough away you can then progress to the third firing position by extending one or both of your arms. Your chin should then be tucked against your shooting arm so that the shooting arms serves as a rifle stock for your pistol for a very accurate long shot of 20 to 50 yards if necessary.

There are also other basic things to practice in addition, such as foot positions, grip position, sight picture, trigger squeeze, follow through, failure drills, and reloading.

So there is a lot to practice each month, and the best way is to focus on a few things at a time each month.

This month I will focus on shooting close shots first from just above the holster one handed and then from two handed with both elbows bent and tucked into the chest. These are the first two possible firing positions. This is remedial training for me since earlier in the year I have practices all the other numerous steps and actions.

Most shooters only practice position #3 with both arms extended. So they thus train like robots and they think they are doing themselves good. But all 3 positions must be practiced however because you never know which position you will need to shoot from in self defense.

And all the other basics need to be practiced as well. This is because if you don't use it you will lose it. And practice makes perfect.

Today is my first chance to head to the range this month, so I am stacking my gear and heading over to my favorite indoor range now.

I hope everyone else practices regularly too -- at least monthly.

My questions for you (dear Reader) is this -- when was the last time you went to the shooting range and when is the next time that you plan to go?

Now I figure practice is good and folks can practice any way they like.

I got back from the range about an hour ago, cleaned guns and ate my dinner. But while on the range I didn't fart around practicing any special techniques or any special stances nor did I concern myself with things like trigger control and perfect sight acquisition. I used multiple silhouette targets with faces drawn on them and practiced saving my old ass from an (imagined of course) attack with a knife or gun shouting commands as loud as I could while alternating drawing both from open and concealed with different guns and hands while moving off center and away concentrating on putting rounds into center of mass firing as fast as possible. Although I did use the range cart as cover/concealment and also as an obstruction to avoid while moving while firing.

Why do I practice that way? Because that is how it is going to go down in the real world.

And I will be back at the range on Saturday.

Now I figure practice is good and folks can practice any way they like.

I got back from the range about an hour ago, cleaned guns and ate my dinner. But while on the range I didn't fart around practicing any special techniques or any special stances nor did I concern myself with things like trigger control and perfect sight acquisition. I used multiple silhouette targets with faces drawn on them and practiced saving my old ass from an (imagined of course) attack with a knife or gun shouting commands as loud as I could while alternating drawing both from open and concealed with different guns and hands while moving off center and away concentrating on putting rounds into center of mass firing as fast as possible. Although I did use the range cart as cover/concealment and also as an obstruction to avoid while moving while firing.

Why do I practice that way? Because that is how it is going to go down in the real world.

And I will be back at the range on Saturday.

Good job! And you practice a lot -- that's even better.

I had a great practice session at the range this afternoon, then got home, cleaned my pistol and the mag I was shooting with it, then had dinner consisting of a ham and cheese burrito baked in the oven.

I first practiced shooting today from just above the holster, one handed, in double action, while my non-shooting hand held my shirt out of the way.

Some shooters place their non-shooting hand on their belt buckles or over their heart. This is fine for police officers shooting from open carry. But it is insufficient for anyone shooting from concealed carry. For concealed carry your non-shooting hand needs to be holding the overlapping fabric away from your holster and gun.

Next I shot from the two handed position with both elbows bent and firmly against my chest first in single then in double action. I did this with each hand holding the gun.

Then I shot from the extended arm position, two handed, which is the most accurate.

And finally I shot one handed with the pistol in front of me.

All these practice positions is a possible shooting position in a real situation of defending myself in a real life situation.

Now my pistol is cleaned, loaded, and back in my holster ready for action 24/7/365 from concealed carry.

I'll practice all this again in March the next chance I get.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back