Military - residency status for CCW license?

kwc

I'm an active duty AF member (PA resident) stationed in IL. I was able to get a FOID card, although not necessary, essentially categorized as a resident for that purpose.

Does anyone know how the new CCW law will apply to military members? Will I qualify for resident status?

Thanks!
Kwc

I'm an active duty AF member (PA resident) stationed in IL. I was able to get a FOID card, although not necessary, essentially categorized as a resident for that purpose.

Does anyone know how the new CCW law will apply to military members? Will I qualify for resident status?

Thanks!
Kwc

For the legal, binding answer I would check with your base legal department.

The internet version is as follows; Having spent 20 years active duty moving from coast to coast, usually you will be treated as a resident of whatever state you are stationed in, thus the resident rules apply. Due to the gravity of this issue however, I would check with base legal to be on the safe side.

Also, unless you have a huge bank account, I would join USCCA and purchase one of their insurance policies for firearm defense costs. Cheap insurance should you need it, peace of mind if you don't.

Remember, if you shoot/kill someone in Illinois, you ARE going to jail first. Unless you are politically connected, then it is a maybe.....

Thanks, Popeye2. I've been in the Air Force 24 years so far and have found that to be the case, too. I guess I'll find out whether or not IL classifies me as a resident when I apply for a CCW license, unless the State Police is able to clarify this sooner.

The new IL law also allows residents of other states who hold a CCW license in their home state to carry a handgun in a vehicle. I ASSUME that will apply to me as PA resident (once I get my license to carry from PA). I'll be legal driving through IL by holding my PA license, and in states that neighbor IL via FL non-resident CCW license.

Regards,
Kwc

Thanks for your service. I retired from USN [aviation] in 1989. Should have 'jumped ship' at/around the 14 year mark and went to the USAF. Oh well.
Assume you are at Scott.

Thank you, Popeye2. And thank you for your service, too!

I entered AD in 1989 and am now on my 10th assignment. You are correct--I'm at Scott AFB. We are enjoying it here.

Thanks!
Kwc

From what I've heard you have plenty of time to figure it out. They still need to come up with the required 16hr training, then certify people to teach it. If you can save $5-10 dollars out of each paycheck, by the time they figure it out you will have enough saved to pay the exhorbitant fee. Of course, by that time you should be ready to transfer...

I expect that if they have issued you a FOID, they will be willing to accept your application for a resident carry permit AFTER you have jumped thru all the hoops they erected as barriers. Your PA permit may have to be NON-resident, however, as (acording to your orders assigning you "permanently" to Scott AFB, IL) you do not LIVE in PA. If you start putting Franklins in the "Swear Jar" now that should just about cover your expenses all the way up thru actually turning in your permit application.

Since I'm a permanent resident of PA (driver's license, home of record, and voter registration are all there--and I pay PA taxes), I was able to obtain a PA permit this week during my visit.

I called the IL State Police Firearms Services Bureau today and Annette assured me that IL would offer resident permits to military members stationed within the state who are not IL residents. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

Thank you,
Kwc

As a follow-up for those interested, Illinois is not currently allowing non-resident active duty military members stationed on orders within the state to apply for a resident concealed carry license. Obtaining a resident CCL requires an IL driver's license or IL state ID.

To make matters worse, the non-resident applicant's state must have concealed carry laws "substantially similar" to those of Illinois. There is only one state on that list so far... Hawaii. I would be surprised if PA EVER makes the list since they don't even require evidence of training to obtain their carry license.

Yikes. I've lived here in IL for 2+ years (during this tour) and may never be able to obtain an IL CCL. Seriously bummed.

As a follow-up for those interested, Illinois is not currently allowing non-resident active duty military members stationed on orders within the state to apply for a resident concealed carry license. Obtaining a resident CCL requires an IL driver's license or IL state ID.

To make matters worse, the non-resident applicant's state must have concealed carry laws "substantially similar" to those of Illinois. There is only one state on that list so far... Hawaii. I would be surprised if PA EVER makes the list since they don't even require evidence of training to obtain their carry license.

Yikes. I've lived here in IL for 2+ years (during this tour) and may never be able to obtain an IL CCL. Seriously bummed.
Yeah it sucks, and don't be surprised if there aren't law suits challenging this.

But if you think you are sticking around here for any length of time, why not get an IL DL? That would solve the residency issue.

Yeah it sucks, and don't be surprised if there aren't law suits challenging this.

But if you think you are sticking around here for any length of time, why not get an IL DL? That would solve the residency issue.

For military there are benefits to maintaining residency other than where you are stationed. State taxes being the big one. Vehicle registration is an other. If you live in a state with no income tax, or inexpensive car tags/stickers (especially with no inspections required) residency is not something you want to mess with. It also creates confusion when you get pulled over with SC plates and insurance, an expired TN drivers License (expired in 2001) and you are in Virginia... Don't ask how I know. Better to completely shun the place where you are stationed unless you happen to be from a communist state and are stationed in a good one.

It's the second- and third-order effects that are preventing me from switching residency (car registration, voting, etc.) And I have no idea how long the Air Force will keep me here. I could move again in 6 months or in 3 years.

Yes, getting an IL driver's license remains an option... but not my preferred one if avoidable.

It's the second- and third-order effects that are preventing me from switching residency (car registration, voting, etc.) And I have no idea how long the Air Force will keep me here. I could move again in 6 months or in 3 years.

Yes, getting an IL driver's license remains an option... but not my preferred one if avoidable.

Well there is always container carry as a last resort.

Well there is always container carry as a last resort.
Has "container carry" actually gained traction and credibility? I understand the logic and letter of the law, but am skeptical it will be recognized and upheld by most LEOs.

An arrest and charges, even if dismissed, could make life very unpleasant for a military member.

In regards to LEO's, you may beat the rap but can't beat the ride; meaning you may be arrested and beat it in court. I would be highly hesitant to push a fanny pack as a container, as some people have suggested and don't know of any case law to prove or disprove that a fanny pack is a container, however (I am not a lawyer) I think console carry has been upheld. I am trying to find the case name, but haven't had my morning coffee yet.

I hope it gets approved. I would think that nobody would vote against the military, but I am sure there will be some who do. Watching closely.

I hope it gets approved. I would think that nobody would vote against the military, but I am sure there will be some who do. Watching closely.

Yep, lots of steps ahead... get it into committee, to the floor, onto the Senate, and to the governor. It could be derailed at any stage. But I'm an optimist and am hopeful this bill will see success this year.

The Illinois law states if you have a permit in your home state you can carry armed, locked and loaded in the confines of your car. You just have to unload your weapon if your going to get out of the vehicle with it and store it in the trunk, or as I understood from reading the law, place it in a locked container while still in your car and leave it inside without exiting the car with it.

Well, maybe not necessary to put it in a locked container, but I wouldn't leave my weapon unsecure.... I'll have to re-read the law on that.

And me personally, if I get arrested, I'll sue the officer and the department for false arrest for that officer NOT knowing I was authorized to carry.

The Illinois law states if you have a permit in your home state you can carry armed, locked and loaded in the confines of your car. You just have to unload your weapon if your going to get out of the vehicle with it and store it in the trunk, or as I understood from reading the law, place it in a locked container while still in your car and leave it inside without exiting the car with it.

Well, maybe not necessary to put it in a locked container, but I wouldn't leave my weapon unsecure.... I'll have to re-read the law on that.

And me personally, if I get arrested, I'll sue the officer and the department for false arrest for that officer NOT knowing I was authorized to carry.
I've been car-carrying since shortly after the law was first published in July.

I initially had some doubt as to whether or not I would be considered a non-resident per section 40 since I've lived here for much longer than 30 days.

But when the ISP wouldn't let me apply for a CCL due to not holding an IL driver's license, that left no room for doubt. I car carry every chance I get now, especially when driving into a more "friendly" state like Missouri.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back