Michigan CCW laws

bigb360

Hi all. Brand new here. I'm a Missouri resident and just finished my CCW class a week ago. I'll soon head to the sherrif's office to finish up everything in the application process, so I'll soon be carrying.

I had a question about Michigan's CCW laws. We have family up there, and I know that they accept CCW licenses from other states. It also seems like the laws are very similar to MO's laws. One question I've not been able to find the answer to is regarding property that isn't on their "Pistol free" list that posts no gun signs. Is there a provision in their law that covers this? In MO, I know many CCW people carry in these areas anyway due to the fact that it's not a crime, but only an infraction, and if you're asked to leave and you do you're fine. Is Michigan similar?

Thanks.

Once you are here and passed the very messed up and anti gun Ill... We have Reciprocity with you guys in MO so your CCW is good to go.

No carry in churches, sports arena's or theaters that seat over 2,200, nor in places that receive over 51% of their income from selling booze...
If stopped you do have a obligation to disclose to an police officer when stopped but they are cool about it, just don't go weird on them...
PFZ's other than the above, if they post a sign we tend to boycott those places. But Concealed means Concealed, and I am in no way advising you to break the law in any way shape or form. But should you go someplace that has one of those goofy signs posted and do not see it....
Worst case scenario they ask you to leave, and if they have to call the police it is a .misnomer a slap on the wrist...
a couple of sites you can read more if you wish
Link Removed

Michigan State Police

You can get a trespassing charge if they ask you to leave and you refuse. Just comply and leave if they "catch" you, or simply go somewhere else in the first place. I feel like "no guns" policies really only apply to open carry, since it is no one else's business if you're concealed carrying, unless being detained by police, in which case you must disclose that you are carrying. I wouldn't chance it at a school or other PFZ, but you are ,ironically, legally allowed to open carry at those places in Michigan if you are "licensed to carry a concealed weapon in Michigan or another state." Now ain't that funny?

Thanks guys! Sounds like the MI laws and the MO laws are almost identical.

No kidding about Illinois, by the way. I was told by my CCW instructor that you had to travel through that state with the gun in its case and the ammo separated from it. Preferably one in the trunk and one in the passenger compartment. What a load of idiocy.

Thanks guys! Sounds like the MI laws and the MO laws are almost identical.

No kidding about Illinois, by the way. I was told by my CCW instructor that you had to travel through that state with the gun in its case and the ammo separated from it. Preferably one in the trunk and one in the passenger compartment. What a load of idiocy.

My last two trips out west one I went north and took the ferry across to the Oshkosh area...
last time I took the southern route across the I-10, and If I am in ILL I will not stop for anything period, just do the speed limit, watch it at the boarder the Ill police tend to haunt that spot very closely and it's 55 mph for quite a distance around the state line...

FYI In MI if someone asks you if you are carrying that is not the police, they are in violation of the law, in short you cannot legally ask that question unless you are the law... So if you do bump into some dork that asks you that question, the best reply is "do you want to go to jail?" and just smile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back