Michigan bills will encourage gun safety education for students

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
The Michigan Legislature recently voted to pass several bills sponsored by Senator John J. Gleason, including his legislation to increase programs for gun safety in public schools. Under Senate Bill 1402, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is required to develop or adopt a model gun safety program based on the "Eddie Eagle" curriculum developed by the National Rifle Association to promote gun accident prevention. Beginning in the 2011 --2012 school year public schools across the state will be encouraged to adopt the model program developed by the MDE.

This is a great idea.

I've thought for some time that they should have the NRA Basic available in the schools...

hearing the details, it sounds pretty good.. I was expecting it was going to be some curriculum developed by the dept of state that taught kids how scary and horrible guns were.. I'm sure a lot of the teachers will put their own spin on it regardless though.

When my kids were little and in elementary school I use to by the "Eddie Eagle" programs and give them to their school n they would have 'Officer Friendly" put on the program....

Thanks for the correction. I had meant to post that link in the other thread regarding the two bills mentioned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back