Metal Detectors at Safeco Field

macnorman

I've been concealed carrying for 20 years at Mariner's baseball games. I thought that the facility was public property, paid for by our taxes. State law says you can't exclude lawfully carried weapons from public places. Evidently, I was wrong about the Safeco field being public property part. The public was paid back and it's privately owned now.

Now the Mariners want to install metal detectors at the entrances to screen for weapons. It's a mandate from MLB to have it done by 2015. I am frustrated to say the least. Some say "there are dozens of Seattle's finest around the stadium, you'll be fine". And they're right, at the park! I say I don't want to pay $35 to park my car for 4 hours so I park 1/2 to 3/4 mile out and walk it. There are some sketchy neighborhoods that far out. You might have to defend yourself out there. I don't want to leave my pistol in the car to be stolen or to be assaulted on my way to the park with no recourse other than to yell "Help!". A cop's too heavy so I carry a Kimber .45. I am not going to another Mariner's game. Screw them.

Your thoughts?

Seattle Mariners to scan fans for 2014 season - seattlepi.com

Go to a minor league ball game, or a local legion ball game. Much cheaper, no metal detectors, and still get to watch a good ball game.

For 6-7 years I've been bitching about the traffic, costs, and hassle of going. This is just the final straw.

There's always a wondrous new invention called the "Television." I understand it shows things you can't see if you attend in person. And it's much safer.

IF they offered it, would you be willing to rent a gun locker to secure your weapon at the stadium? I can feel your frustration, if they want to prohibit law abiding patrons from carrying then they should offer onsite facilities to accommodate.

There's always a wondrous new invention called the "Television." I understand it shows things you can't see if you attend in person. And it's much safer.

I do enjoy seeing if the ump is calling balls balls and strikes strikes on the TV, But I don't have a kings corner at my house.

I've posted this before. When Pittsburgh built a new baseball stadium (PNC park) and a new football stadium (Heinz field), there was a vote on whether the people's of our county should fund the build. We overwhelmingly voted no. Hell the NFL is a billionaire dollar industry. Build your own damn stadium. Last season, in the middle of the season, the Pirate's baseball structure decided to wand everyone coming into the park and ban firearms. That was the last straw for me for the same reasons as the OP.

In the city of Pittsburgh there are bad neighborhoods. I will have to walk through them. Not to mention there are a lot of people. Purse snatches, stolen wallets, etc. happen when there is a crowd. There are also reports of muggings and rapings. The point is, if there is no where to store your firearm at the stadium, I'm not going to the stadium.

I have written the security department and let them know that I will no longer be purchasing any more tickets from them again... wrote the Steelers and the Penguins too.

TV is more comfy and less expensive and I get to eat whatever snacks I feel like. I also don't have to smell the nasty stalls of a public bathroom or have some yahoo spill beer on me.

Several cities provide tax-payer funded grants to build stadiums. Unfortunately, it doesn't make them public property.

IF they offered it, would you be willing to rent a gun locker to secure your weapon at the stadium? I can feel your frustration, if they want to prohibit law abiding patrons from carrying then they should offer onsite facilities to accommodate.
They don't offer it. I go with a large group of friends to a game every summer. I have every year for the past 4 or 5 years, and I've carried every time and never had a problem. I was unaware of the metal detectors being installed this year, and when I noticed them, I was furious. I didn't have a car I could go back to where I could secure my weapon, I had taken the light rail with my family. I too thought the stadium was owned and operated by the city of Seattle or by King County, since we paid for the dang thing. I was advised by a member of security that the stadium is privately owned, and weapons were prohibited. I will give him high marks that he treated me with respect and didn't make a stink about it when I showed him my CPL. I asked if they provided lockers for me to secure the weapon at the stadium security office and they do not have that available. They won't even allow off-duty LOE's carry in the stadium.

Looks like I might have to suggest to my group of friends that we go to a Rainiers game instead next year.

FWIW: in FLA the law prohibits carrying firearms into any professional or college sporting event. fortunately the wands never pick up my can of pepper spray

I've been concealed carrying for 20 years at Mariner's baseball games. I thought that the facility was public property, paid for by our taxes. State law says you can't exclude lawfully carried weapons from public places. Evidently, I was wrong about the Safeco field being public property part. The public was paid back and it's privately owned now.

Now the Mariners want to install metal detectors at the entrances to screen for weapons. It's a mandate from MLB to have it done by 2015. I am frustrated to say the least. Some say "there are dozens of Seattle's finest around the stadium, you'll be fine". And they're right, at the park! I say I don't want to pay $35 to park my car for 4 hours so I park 1/2 to 3/4 mile out and walk it. There are some sketchy neighborhoods that far out. You might have to defend yourself out there. I don't want to leave my pistol in the car to be stolen or to be assaulted on my way to the park with no recourse other than to yell "Help!". A cop's too heavy so I carry a Kimber .45. I am not going to another Mariner's game. Screw them.

Your thoughts?

Seattle Mariners to scan fans for 2014 season - seattlepi.com
You think you have a safe direction to fire at a Mariners game? In a stadium? You know even if your life is in danger you can't take the shot unless your background is clear? Right?

Some say "there are dozens of Seattle's finest around the stadium, you'll be fine". And they're right, at the park! I say I don't want to pay $35 to park my car for 4 hours so I park 1/2 to 3/4 mile out and walk it. There are some sketchy neighborhoods that far out. You might have to defend yourself out there.

You think you have a safe direction to fire at a Mariners game? In a stadium? You know even if your life is in danger you can't take the shot unless your background is clear? Right?

Please see above......

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back