Marine vet on lunch break shoots store robber

Rhino

Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected store robber
A Marine veteran taking a lunch break in Houston on Thursday fatally shot one of two suspects police say were robbing a video game store...
...The veteran, who has a concealed handgun license, went to his pickup truck, got his pistol and told bystanders to call 911....When they exited, one suspect raised his gun at the veteran, who was taking cover behind his truck, and the two reportedly exchanged fire.
Police said 10 shots were exchanged, one fatally striking one of the suspects....
Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected store robber | Fox News
Full story at the link. There's also a link to a video at a local Houston station.
Dude should've had his gun on him.

Didn't see any signs in the pictures or video, and in Texas the signs have to be pretty big to carry the force of law. I still could have missed them though. We all know some people don't like carrying in light, summer clothes. That's what I figured it was.

Police said 10 shots were exchanged, one fatally striking one of the suspects....

If that was a true Marine, then that better have been 9 shots by the bad guys and one shot by the Marine!

The video suggests that after the initial exchange of gunfire the robber got into his car to leave and then was fatality shot while sitting in the drivers seat.

Link Removed

Not siding with the bad guys, but in my state the Marine would have been arrested. If the bad guy was in his car, the Marine was likely not in imminent danger. This is a requirement of drawing your weapon in Michigan. Probably not the case in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not siding with the bad guys, but in my state the Marine would have been arrested. If the bad guy was in his car, the Marine was likely not in imminent danger. This is a requirement of drawing your weapon in Michigan. Probably not the case in Texas.

The bad guy retreated to his car after he pointed his pistol at the Marine and the initial exchange of gunfire. I have no problem with shooting a fleeing felon, God knows who he may have run down or shot while trying to escape, but some states may.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people can shoot from a car.

There's a requirement for drawing your gun everywhere. Michigan self defense law as it applies to justifying the use of deadly force is essentially identical to that nationwide, and duty to retreat statutes are essentially the same as Florida. Many tried to change that after the Trayvon Martin case. The Michigan Self Defense Act 309 of 206, Section 780.972 of the Michigan State Code, lists the conditions in which deadly force can be used. Paragraph (1)(a) states "The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual." (emphasis added). So Michigan law is no more stringent than anywhere else. What's different is the political and legal climate in which those statutes will be interpreted. The exact same statute could be interpreted and applied very differently in Michigan than it would be in Texas. People twist new and different meanings out of statutes all the time. The fleeing felon rule has also been cited, but that rule is very rarely used, and in all cases that I've found it has only ever been applied to law enforcement. Although in theory it should also apply to citizens, I consider the possibility of that being done successfully to be extremely remote.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back