Making a gun cabenit/safe

Itstjs

Picked up a couple lockers from the old Pontiac Fiero plant. They were bound to be destroyed and sold for scrap, so I asked the foreman if I could have them. Theyre 2 sets of double lockers, meaning each unit is 2 lockers. Ive cleaned them and began working on them, they wont offer much safety when it comes to someone breaking in and attempting to get into them, but then again, Ive got the home cameras, dogs and usually my wife or I are home, if not, Ive got a trusted Army buddy staying at my house.
Anyway, got me to thinking, how many people do it the cheap/fun way and make their own vs going out and spending 3k on safes? Idealy Id love to get a safe, just can not afford one.

If youve made a weapon safe/locker, post a picture, I could use some ideas. My idea is using 1 side for pistol/ammo storage and the other for long guns and long gun ammo storage. Long gun side measures about 56" tall & 23" deep. Pistol side shelfs are 6", 8", 16" and 24" by 23" deep on all 4 sections. Not sure how Im going to make a weapon rack for my rifles yet, looking for a piece of metal that I can bolt into it, wood floor & felt surrounding all parts of the inside. Not sure how Im going to reenforce it yet, but may just leave the walls they way they are.

Anyway, Pictures of your weapon projects and safes if youve got them, this is my first weapon project, kinda excited, Ill make a youtube video and post the link when I get it finished. One of the lockers is in real rough shape, may just use it for scrap pieces and use the sides to reenforce my actual gun locker. Anyway. Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I'm always an advocate for making things if one can. I'm also an advocate for finding a good deal.

Around Christmas time, Dunham sports always has their gun safes on incredible deals, especially if you are willing to go in at 6am for an early bird special.

I ended up getting a 16 gun safe, 30 minute fire proof, that retails at $800 for only $350.

One does not need to spend $3000 for a safe, one only needs to be patient and buy smart.

Here's one on sale at Amazon, for a bit more than what I paid. Link Removed

This is the one I want: Stack-On 10-Gun Steel Security Cabinet-402869 - Gander Mountain

Unfortunately that's still too expensive for me right now! lol And... I have no idea how I'd get it inside my house. I'm just after somewhere to lock everything away from little fingers. I've got smaller safes, but I want the ammo locked up somewhere too; I wouldn't put it past my kid to find and sneak off with just enough to give himself lead poisoning!

Ive wanted to get a safe, but theres a few problems here. Firstly, my "man cave" is on the upper level of my house, so lugging it up a small section is VERY hard to do, considering my hallway leading to the upstairs is very narrow. Secondly, Im on a no safe budget, what I have as far as money goes is pretty much spoken for, although, I do like the idea of building something out of pretty much nothing. Thirdly, this is pretty fun to do. The 2nd set of safes Im dismantling and tacking onto the one Im keeping.. Its added outter layer security as well as using up what I have. Its coming along great so far. Just need to make the parts to hold my rifles, add some felt and lighting and Im pretty much home free. Didnt do too much work on it over the last 3 days off, kinda got lazy.
Anyway, if youve got a safe, show it off! Lol.

Ive wanted to get a safe, but theres a few problems here. Firstly, my "man cave" is on the upper level of my house, so lugging it up a small section is VERY hard to do, considering my hallway leading to the upstairs is very narrow. Secondly, Im on a no safe budget, what I have as far as money goes is pretty much spoken for, although, I do like the idea of building something out of pretty much nothing. Thirdly, this is pretty fun to do. The 2nd set of safes Im dismantling and tacking onto the one Im keeping.. Its added outter layer security as well as using up what I have. Its coming along great so far. Just need to make the parts to hold my rifles, add some felt and lighting and Im pretty much home free. Didnt do too much work on it over the last 3 days off, kinda got lazy.
Anyway, if youve got a safe, show it off! Lol.

:smile:

I was going to say the same thing to you. When you are finished, I would love to see what you've built. Make sure to upload some pics.

I'll have to take a pic of mine and show you what I've got.

I'm not sure where you are going to store this safe that you are making but instead of the brute force barrier offered by the steel of a traditional safe you can add layers of security. In the wall behind your safe you can reinforce one or more of the studs in your wall and use a long cable to go through or around those studs. Then have that cable go into the back of the safe and through the guns. After this the safe isn't going anywhere and if some one happens to get into the safe there is still more work to do in order to take the guns.

Of course I would not use the cable lock on my home defense weapons but I have no issues using something like that on other guns.

Im basically just adding 1; 2mm layer layer of steel to the outer part of the cabinet. I dont own a welder, nor do I think the aluminum [or what ever the lockers are made of] could handle the heat of a welder, so Im using screw less rivets to secure the pieces together. As far as bolting it down, I have to steel brackets Im bolting to the floor and securing it to the floor & to the wall. It offers no fire protection, but then again, I have home owners insurance, anything lost by contract has to be replaced or refunded, so daddy may get some new hardware if its a total loss.
As far as securing the weapons inside, Ill have 2 layers of protection, Im making a weapon rack for the interior with a fold down locking system to secure my rifles inside. I only own 4 guns at this point but have another 2 on layaway until I can get the money together to get them home.

I think the hardest part is going to be the felt and the floor of the weapon rack to hold the but stocks. I dont own many tools, Ive never had a need for them until I bought my home 3 years ago. Ill take some pictures and make a video once Im done. Ill post what I have as of now. Link Removed

Ive had a chance to felt most of the cabinet, however, still working on the rifle section of the cabinet, hoping to make it hold up to 10 rifles, [although I dont have that many]. Any suggestions on how to hold the but stocks in place, or keep the barrels from moving? Im trying to build everything myself to keep costs down, and because I like to do things myself.
Next is building a few pistol racks to hold my various pistols. Anyhow, let me know what you all think, complete project isnt done yet, but should be within the next week. Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Mine's bolted to the slab, and studs in the wall. Took two of us to manhandle the thing into place. Strained my back and helper complained too. Jeeves that thing is heavy.

If someone wants it they will have to bring some power tools.

Then again, safe crackers are a dime a dozen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back