M4 SBR Completed

Amsdorf

VDMA VIDEOS
M4 SBR Completed: Pics and Video

Finally got the ATF tax stamp in for the suppressor and brought it home. I was able to get some nice pics of it this morning. Specs first, then pic.

BCM Upper and Lower
Geissele SSA trigger group.
Gunfighter stock.
Steel CH with extended latch.
Ergo grip.
Lancer two-piece magwell.
Daniel Defense rail system.
LMT rear and front fixed iron sights.
Aimpoint T1 optic.
Tango down picatinny VFG.
Pressure switch
Surefire M620P Fury Scout Light Rail-Mountable LED WeaponLight
Surefire SOCOM 5.56 suppressor
Surefure 5.56 Muzzle Brake
Blue Force Gear Vickers Padded Sling

SBR_zpsupfq2bzj.jpg~original

[video=youtube;Z9R9La09IEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z9R9La09IEQ[/video]

Howdy amsdorf,

Nice AR!

With it being a SBR ( looks like a 14 1/2" M4 barrel ) and a suppressor did you go the conventional route or did you use a trust?

I'm going to either SBR my .300BLK AR, it's a pistol right now, and build a Form 1 suppressor or I'll permanently attach a Form 1 suppressor. I'll have to have two tax stamps if I go the SBR and suppressor route and only one if I permanently attach the suppressor.

I'll watch the vid when I get home so I can use wifi instead of my data.

Paul

Howdy amsdorf,

After watching your vid I can tell it does have a shorter them 14.5" barrel.

I subscribed to your YouTube channel and watched a couple of your videos and look forward to watching all of them.

As far as the flashlight, laser, VFG, etc on your SBR I'm ol' school and if it wasn't for my 50yo eyeballs ( be 51 later this month ) I wouldn't have any type of optic on my CAR-15.

Cool AR and cool pics and videos, thanks for posting them!

Paul

Nice job on the SBR, Amsdorf. That looks slick.
-
-
Stengun,
A trust is the way to go in my opinion. there are just too many benefits not to justify the small cost of generating a legal trust. If you're going to get a .30 cal suppressor, if you go the separate suppressor route, they can be very versatile. Many quality .30 cal cans can be used on anything from 5.56 to .300RUM. So yest it is an additional $200 stamp, but if you hunt or shoot any rifle in addition to your .300BLK, you'll eventually want to put the can on there as well.

Howdy Hooten,

Nice job on the SBR, Amsdorf. That looks slick.
-
-
Stengun,
A trust is the way to go in my opinion. there are just too many benefits not to justify the small cost of generating a legal trust. If you're going to get a .30 cal suppressor, if you go the separate suppressor route, they can be very versatile. Many quality .30 cal cans can be used on anything from 5.56 to .300RUM. So yest it is an additional $200 stamp, but if you hunt or shoot any rifle in addition to your .300BLK, you'll eventually want to put the can on there as well.

I already have a trust and plan to go that route.

Arkansas now has a "Must Sign" rule that requires the Sheriff to sign ALL NFA forms as long as the person can legally own a gun. He/She has 15 days to sign the form. This makes getting NFA items easier to purchase.

As far as a suppressor goes I'm a wannabe shadetree machinist with access to a mill and lathe ( I'm a multi-craft maint. tech and we have them at work.) so I will build my own.

I've been dumpster diving at work for stainless steel tubing and roll stock to build a suppressor out of. Plus I just ordered a 1/2"-28tpi and 5/8"-24tpi taps for when I get to that point.

I'm going to use efile and all I need to do is fill out the form, attach my trust and form of payment and hit "enter".

I usually only use money from working O.T. to buy gun stuff and I'll probably work some this week so maybe I'll send everything off this weekend.

I see that your in Rockwall. My Sister lives between Princeton and McKinney ( Lowery's Crossing ) and are about to get washed away into Lake Lavon. You'll end up in Ray Hubbard.

Stay dry! Looks like more rain is heading your way.

Paul

Big thumbs up on the trust route, has worked great for me. There are fantastic tutorials offering step-by-step instructions on efiling available on M4Carbine.net and ARFCOM.

I've been dumpster diving at work for stainless steel tubing and roll stock to build a suppressor out of. Plus I just ordered a 1/2"-28tpi and 5/8"-24tpi taps for when I get to that point.

Paul,

Just to clarify for others that may be reading this post for ideas. I'm sure what you meant to say was that you have been looking in the dumpster at work for the availability of parts that you can use to build your suppressor AFTER the form 1 is approved because under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) silencer parts are silencers in and of themselves.
(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Since you have a trust already and have done your homework, I'm sure you know that and didn't gather or procure any silencer parts before you were approved to make the silencer via ATF Form 1.
-
After approved, I'd love to see your work on the suppressor. I'm a huge fan of fabricating your own gear.
-
The rain keeps comming down out here. The lakes are mostly full. It's great, but if we don't get a break soon you may be right. The range I use has been under about 6-10" of water for 3 months.

You can own pipes, for plumbing, washers, taps and thread addapters for automotive work, and bar stock for fabricating just about whatever you want. But if you gather parts for the purpose of making an NFA firearm before you have an approved form 1, you are in violation of the law. The intent is what matters here.

For example the Sig pistol stabilizing brace when used as an arm brace is A.O.K. however, if you intend to shoulder the p.s.b. you have made a short barreled rifle.
Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA.
OPEN LETTER ON THE REDESIGN OF “STABILIZING BRACES”

Howdy Hooten,

No suppressor parts, just odds and ends that have been thrown in the the metal dumpster that could be used for various projects.

Here's a couple of pics of stuff I've made out of dumpster treasure:

Door hinge bushing
1412309493_zps941eec5d.jpg

Taillight bezel
1390868026_zpsf420da29.jpg

On the lathe
1390872923_zps50f552cb.jpg

Cup holder spacers ( my cup holders were hitting the tranny so I had to space them up a little.)
1385166811_zps5d9be5f3.jpg

Starting material for the spacers and the bezel:
1385166587_zps5698075a.jpg

It's a used aluminum roller that I cut in half on a band saw.

Parking brake bezel/trim ring:

Started as a scrape piece of 1/4" aluminum plate.
1387299487_zps25a1c0d3.jpg

On the mill:
1387299479_zps5b4518e6.jpg

Finished product after sanding with 1500 grit sandpaper and WD-40 and 2 hours of polishing:
1387309029_zps33ad96cb.jpg

Seems like every time I look into the metal dumpster it's like "OMG! Someone threw that away?!? I bet I can find a use for it some day."

Paul

You can own pipes, for plumbing, washers, taps and thread addapters for automotive work, and bar stock for fabricating just about whatever you want. But if you gather parts for the purpose of making an NFA firearm before you have an approved form 1, you are in violation of the law. The intent is what matters here.

No it does not. Intent means nada. A tube with threaded end caps with no holes in them and a box of spacers and freeze plugs without holes is not illegal. A completed baffle of any type or a tube with end caps with a through hole without a accompanying stamp is illegal.

If you have a sig brace and INTEND to shoulder it you have not committed any crime up until the point you do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back