M&p Shield Reviews

fishman1996

I'm looking to find out what people think about the M&P Shield. Is it a good concealed gun to carry? Would you recommend a .40 or 9mm? Ported or not ported? Overall quality of the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Link Removed

I'm looking to find out what people think about the M&P Shield. Is it a good concealed gun to carry? Would you recommend a .40 or 9mm? Ported or not ported? Overall quality of the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Link Removed
I don't own a shield and have only fired a friend's 9mm shield but it shoots fine, he says it's reliable, and you can't beat the price. We have a .380 BG and it's ok but the shield has a better stock trigger from my perspective and I like the 9mm better.

The Place To Be

The S&W M&P Shield is highly recommended by a number of firearms training schools and instructors, just as the rest of the striker-fired S&W M&P handgun line and Glocks.

The S&W M&P Shield has proven to be reliable out of the box and through tens of thousands of rounds. The 9mm is preferred, as the .40 S&W version's higher recoil is more abusive to the handgun and shooter with little improvements in ballistics. The 9mm version reliably cycles all brands and types of 9mm ammunition. The build quality is very good and the trigger out of the box isn't bad. The trigger will improve over time. The magazine springs are initially quite stiff and I recommend the Makershot magazine loader. Keep the magazines loaded and the magazine springs will break in and soften up.

The handgun is quite thin, which is good for concealability, but less than optimal for controllability due to the thinner grip. However, you get used to it. The stock three-dot sights are good, as they are made out of steel and easy to acquire. They are slanted though, which makes racking the slide one-handed on a straight edge (like a belt) difficult. The slide stop is a slide stop and not a slide release! Some handguns, like Glocks, have a slide stop with a weak slide stop spring, making it possible to use/misuse the slide stop as a slide release. The S&W M&P Shield has a stiff slide stop spring, making it impossible to use/misuse the slide stop as a slide release.

If you plan to use this handgun for concealed carry, get the not ported version with no thumb safety. The downside to a ported handgun is that the slide needs to be ported as well, opening up the handgun to let in dirt, lint and other foreign material. 9mm is not a particularly snappy round (as opposed to .40 S&W for example), so getting a ported version is for gamers that want to hit steel as fast as possible. The thumb safety is outright stupid. It is difficult to operate and not needed. I have yet to see a person in a defensive handgun class not to fail to disengage it. If you get one with the thumb safety, leave it in the off position, permanently.

I bought my S&W M&P Shield 9mm a month ago and have 1,000 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ training ammo and 300 rounds of Link Removed self defense ammo through it. I had one failure to eject with the training ammo due to a low charge. I put the Ameriglo CAP sights on it, as I am not good with three-dot sights in general due to my astigmatism. I am confident in this gun and have no reservations in carrying it.

There is still a rebate for the S&W M&P Shield: Link Removed. Up until June 30, the rebate was $75. With the new rebate, you get 2 additional magazines, 2 25-round boxes of Hornady Critical Defense ammo and the Caldwell pistol magazine charger. The Shield already comes with a 7-round and an 8-round magazine. Shield magazines are about Link Removed, so this offer of 2 additional magazines is already pretty good. I personally don't care for Hornady Critical Defense ammo as it doesn't pass the FBI standard. The Federal HST, I mentioned, does and costs $21 for 50 rounds. I have never used the Caldwell pistol magazine charger.

PS: I am moving away from the XS Big Dot sights, as I am faster and more accurate with the Ameriglo CAP sights.

bofh above gives a good review of the Shield. I have had my Shield for a few years now and it has become my EDC except when I can't carry IWB and then I go to my Ruger LCP II in pocket carry.

Initially, my EDC was a Springfield XDm but it is 10 oz. heavier than the shield and for all day, the Shield is more comfortable. One does give up the advantage of the 13/19 magazine of the XDm vs. the 7/8 round capacity of the Shield. I can also shoot the XDm better than the Shield which I suspect is due to the increased weight. But shooting the Shield is totally acceptable for self-defense.

bofh noted the thin grip of the Shield. I have large hands and the first thing I did was add a Pachmayr grip sleeve and that made all the difference in the world in comfort and controllability. Just recently I changed from the Pachmayr grip to a Hogue grip sleeve and I like that even better. I don't find that the grip sleeves make much difference in the concealability of the weapon but I definitely makes a huge difference in the shooting of the weapon.

bofh noted the thin grip of the Shield. I have large hands and the first thing I did was add a Pachmayr grip sleeve and that made all the difference in the world in comfort and controllability. Just recently I changed from the Pachmayr grip to a Hogue grip sleeve and I like that even better. I don't find that the grip sleeves make much difference in the concealability of the weapon but I definitely makes a huge difference in the shooting of the weapon.

A grip sleeve is a big no-no for a defensive handgun. The sleeve can and will impede the operation of your handgun during serious use. Murphy's law says that the grip sleeve will move up and over the magazine release or down and over the extended magazine sleeve or even the base plate. Either way, you will be impeded by the grip sleeve during reloads or malfunction clearing. They can cost you your life!

All defensive handgun classes I attended have recommended not to use a grip sleeve. I understand that you will not see the grip sleeve giving you problems on a square range just shooting bullseyes. In realistic training scenarios, however, you will see it move and impede the operation of your handgun.

Learn how to shoot the gun without it or get a different gun. If you want a gun that resembles the M&P Shield functionality and reliability but has a wider grip, get the Glock 26. It has larger capacity too. I have both, the M&P Shield 9mm and the Glock 26.

As for the extended magazine sleeve for the M&P Shield, I will glue mine in place to the magazine body (not the magazine base plate) using clear Silicone chalk. This prevents the magazine sleeve walking up the magazine body and impeding reloads. Silicone chalk is a non-permanent solution, unlike some other glues.

See this video about the issue with the extended magazine sleeve (at 9:20). Do not what Tim is suggesting in this video and remove the magazine sleeve. The magazine sleeve prevents over-insertion of the single-stack magazine. Without it, you can hit the magazine hard enough when inserting it that the magazine goes past the magazine catch and hits and bends the ejector. The proper way to fix this is to glue the magazine sleeve in place.

A grip sleeve is a big no-no for a defensive handgun. The sleeve can and will impede the operation of your handgun during serious use. Murphy's law says that the grip sleeve will move up and over the magazine release or down and over the extended magazine sleeve or even the base plate. Either way, you will be impeded by the grip sleeve during reloads or malfunction clearing. They can cost you your life!

bofh, I understand your concern regarding the sleeve moving. This is potentially true for the Pachmayr sleeve as it installs and removes fairly easily. Perhaps you haven't seen the Hogue grip sleeve for the Shield. The Hogue grip has to be heated to get it onto the grip otherwise there is no possible way to get it stretched enough to put it on. Once on, I am fully confident that it will not move one nanometer without a great deal of struggling to effect such movement!

bofh, I understand your concern regarding the sleeve moving. This is potentially true for the Pachmayr sleeve as it installs and removes fairly easily. Perhaps you haven't seen the Hogue grip sleeve for the Shield. The Hogue grip has to be heated to get it onto the grip otherwise there is no possible way to get it stretched enough to put it on. Once on, I am fully confident that it will not move one nanometer without a great deal of struggling to effect such movement!

The following training drill should be performed under the supervision of an experienced instructor in a controlled environment with clear instructions for the student who needs to have the adequate prerequisite training.

The student's hands are drenched in clear liquid soap to simulate bloody hands, as after getting injured or treating someone who is injured. The student then has to perform a number of defensive handgun drills, including drawing, failure-to-stop drill, reloading, and type 1-3 malfunction clearances. The pistol goes back into the holster between drills. Additional clear liquid soap may be applied to the hands between drills.

The defensive handgun drills are executed with both hands first, then with the strong hand only, and then with the weak hand only. The instructor obviously needs to watch the student for maintaining the firearms safety rules at all times and give proper instructions at each step. Once the drills are done, everything is cleaned under running water. The gun has to be cleaned and lubricated after the class.

These drills are highly valuable as they simulate realistic conditions in a controlled environment. There is no high stress or speed involved as far as the drills go. It's all about learning the mechanics of proper gun handling under such realistic conditions. Many can't operate the slide stop as a slide release anymore with soapy hands. Many can't rack the slide with a soapy support hand anymore. What now? One-handed gun handling comes in handy! Weak-handed type 3 malfunction clearances are particularly hard with soapy hands. Try to rack the slide on your belt while locking it open, all with your weak hand only.

I would be surprised if the Hogue grip doesn't move during such drills. The same goes, by the way, for any training class in the rain. You can test this out at home with an unloaded gun and dummy rounds.

I had one of the original Shield 9mm pistols and wish I still had it. It was an excellent little pistol, and I qualified quite well with it. It was accurate, reliable, and durable, having had over 5000 rounds through it with no signs of failure and no malfunctions. It was the no-safety version. Unfortunately, I let a friend talk me into trading it to him for a model 60 I sold him back in the 80's. I then got the Shield .45ACP. Again, great little gun, sharing all of the same attributes as the 9mm. I carried it quite a bit from the time I bought it. For an old retired cop, it is a great concealed piece. However, I let it go to get a Glock 43, as I recently found a Glock 30S to cover my .45 ACP needs. I may regret losing the Shield .45 as much as I do the Shield 9mm. We'll see.

bofh's point are spot-on. These are great pistols. For those who feel the need for a thumb safety, one can be had. For those who don't, the Shield can be obtained that way, too. My .45 had the safety. I never engaged it for carry, it never activated itself and I see no way it would be likely to deactivate itself. I also agree with bofh that the magazine extensions on the 9mm/.40 should be glued in place or made as a single base pad. There is a danger of causing some damage if an 8 round magazine (9mm) is jammed into the magazine well without the spacer in place. If I find that the Glock 43 doesn't meet my expectations, you can bet I will get another Shield in 9mm.

UPDATE:
After much deliberation, I decided to keep the Shield .45 and buy the G43 and G30S outright. After a couple of days without the Shield .45, I found that it still filled a niche and decided to go to the LGS and get it back. It's a decision I don't regret, and may get another Shield 9mm at some point. A lot depends on how well the G43 fits me and my carry patterns.

Shield - Solid dependable EDC

I have two (2) M&P Shields, both in 9mm. I find the gun extremely reliable and very comfortable, both to shoot and to carry. I thought that the grip might be too slim, considering it is a single stack, and the recoil would be harsh. Not so. S&W did it right with this little gun. With the 9mm, recoil is mild; return to target very quick. I do recommend that you feed your Shield at least 200 rounds as a break-in; I know there are folks out there who say this isn't needed, but I disagree - I have seen the point of impact change dramatically during the course of break-in and finally settle down to a consistent impact location. I also recommend that you try several types of ammo. I had a bad experience with Aquila ammo, in that it would not fire consistently in either of my Shields. On the other hand, Federal ammo fired very consistently, but point of impact was anybody's guess. I found that both of mine love the Winchester Train & Defend 147 grain ammo; very consistent, mild recoil, dependable in every way. Check out this YouTube video from Shooting USA on the Shield.

Perhaps I should explain why I have 2 Shields. No, I don't carry both at the same time. I bought the first one when they first were available as a summer EDC, instead of my M&P9c. Very happy with it; carry it strong side, behind the hip, in an AlienGear 3.0. Great holster; great company. My wife noted how much I enjoyed shooting the Shield, so she got me another for an anniversary gift and had it Cerakoted. Link Removed Get yourself a Shield and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've probably put over 2000 rounds through mine by now, the only ammo that ever gave me any problems was Tulla steel cased. My shield just jammed like crazy
with that stuff.
I tend to shoot my shield more accurately with 124gr (plus my carry ammo is Federal HST 124 so I like to stay as consistent as possible.
I too have a pachmyr sleeve on mine but I have talon grips on it as well underneath. That holds my sleeve in place much better than
going straight against the rather smooth frame of the shield. I have not had many issues with the sleeve moving on me during any of the CCW classes I've used it in,
but gluing it in place may not be a bad idea either. (it will move but it doesn't move much)
I would recommend the 9mm or the .45, both shoot very well for such small guns and the .45 is actually easier to handle than the .40 is.
I also EDC an M&P 9C and have no issues going with either. the 9C is a bit heavier but not any more difficult to carry.
I use the MagGuts+2 kits on my 8 round mags so I get 10+1 with my shield with only a 1/4" added length to my mags.
If you find the shield too thin try a 9C, they shoot really sweet and with the x-sleeve you can use the full size mags at the range or as a back up mag.

I've probably put over 2000 rounds through mine by now, the only ammo that ever gave me any problems was Tulla steel cased. My shield just jammed like crazy
with that stuff.
I tend to shoot my shield more accurately with 124gr (plus my carry ammo is Federal HST 124 so I like to stay as consistent as possible.
I too have a pachmyr sleeve on mine but I have talon grips on it as well underneath. That holds my sleeve in place much better than
going straight against the rather smooth frame of the shield. I have not had many issues with the sleeve moving on me during any of the CCW classes I've used it in,
but gluing it in place may not be a bad idea either. (it will move but it doesn't move much)
I would recommend the 9mm or the .45, both shoot very well for such small guns and the .45 is actually easier to handle than the .40 is.
I also EDC an M&P 9C and have no issues going with either. the 9C is a bit heavier but not any more difficult to carry.
I use the MagGuts+2 kits on my 8 round mags so I get 10+1 with my shield with only a 1/4" added length to my mags.
If you find the shield too thin try a 9C, they shoot really sweet and with the x-sleeve you can use the full size mags at the range or as a back up mag.

A few comments:

• I used to be a huge fan of the Talon grips, until they started to move and peel off under the heat and humidity in Tennessee, where I live. I don't know how hickok45 is dealing with this issue. (He is in Tennessee too and loves the Talon grips.) I had them on all of my handguns and I removed them from all. Read my post #8 on why. I found them to be a hinderance in that drill when they stayed on and then they moved and peeled off. These were the replacements that I bought after the first ones moved and peeled off on a normal range day.
  • To clarify, I wasn't talking about gluing a grip sleeve to the gun's grip, but that may be a solution. I was talking about gluing the magazine sleeve to the extended magazine.
  • I haven't tried the MagGuts kits yet. I am not sure I will.

I am happy to report that putting a small bead of clear Silicone chalk above the extended magazine sleeve to glue the sleeve to the magazine body fixes the issue of the sleeve walking up the body and impeding reloads.

I've carried a 9mm Shield since 2013. Great weapon. I have talon grips plus a hogue grip sleeve. The talon grips keep the hogue sleeve from moving at all. Two 7 rd magazines are now 9 rd with magguts installed. They have been 100% reliable with several hundred rds through them. Alien gear 3.0 holster for IWB carry. Had XS sights and Apex springs installed also. While everything I've installed is an improvement the stock weapon is fine as is.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I've carried a 9mm Shield since 2013. Great weapon. I have talon grips plus a hogue grip sleeve. The talon grips keep the hogue sleeve from moving at all. Two 7 rd magazines are now 9 rd with magguts installed. They have been 100% reliable with several hundred rds through them. Alien gear 3.0 holster for IWB carry. Had XS sights and Apex springs installed also. While everything I've installed is an improvement the stock weapon is fine as is.

If you are interested:

• Read my posts #5 and #8 on the use of a hogue grip sleeve, and my post #13 on the use of talon grips.
  • Read why I recently dropped the XS Big Dots and moved to Ameriglo CAP sights: Good Bye XS Big Dots.

Is it a good concealed gun to carry?
Would you recommend a .40 or 9mm?
Ported or not ported?
Overall quality of the gun.

I think its a decent and reliable gun. However its personal preference if you think it makes a good concealed carry or not. My preference would be for something else.
9 vs 40, I would choose 9mm mainly for extra capacity. I could list other reasons but I dont want to derail the subject or start a debate.
Not ported. This could only increase the chance for malfunction in a self defense situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back