M&P 9 Finish Wearing

Timothy Bryant

Avoidinyew
Ok, so I have had a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 Full Size for about 2 years now and recently noticed a spot of rust on the slide towards the muzzle. I promptly removed this rust with some gun oil and soft cotton cloth but am concerned about the finish on my gun. The gun has seen very little carry and usually set in a Kholster IWB holster. The leather backing of the holster looks as though it is spray painted black where the finish has worn off the gun and I'm just curious if this is to be expected or is something abnormal happening there? I wasn't concerned about it when I first noticed the black markings but after discovering the rust it has me a little worried. So is this normal wear or is there a problem with my gun's finish?

Are you keeping the gun in the holster all the time? You should never store your gun in a holster and only use it when you are carrying. That is a perfect place for it to rust. Some type of holsters will wear the finish quicker than others with leather being the least damaging. Keep it out of the holster and lightly oiled to prevent rust.

I have not had this issue with either one of my M&Ps. I have the compact and full size, both are holstered almost 24/7... however, they both get disassembled and lubed at least once every few weeks... I just use a rag with Rem-Oil on it to rub 'em down. I do that to all my weapons anyway, at least once a month I inspect and lube all the firearms in the house.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back