Looking to buy an AR. Got questions though.

crenz66

Hi there guys, I've posted a few times about some of my handguns I have. I am still a young enthusiast so I'm still learning everything. I've become pretty familiar with handguns, but now I'm considering an AR. I've shot them before but not a lot. My main concern is what should I look for in an AR? Features such as dust covers, that sort of thing. What's the best you can buy what's the worst you can buy? Just trying to get educated on this instead of just going out and buying one. Any information would be appreciated thank you!!

There is lots of controversy on this subject. I would say to you, how are you going to use it? How much do you want to spend? How many rounds a week/month are you going to shoot? How you answer those questions will determine the answers. I use mine for unprotected varmints target and home protection. So I didn’t spend much. I bought a DPMS. I am very happy with it. Whatever you decide I would pull the bolt carrier out and check the gas tube and look at how it is staked. That is my 2 cents.

Rock River Arms makes good affordable rifles. I don't own one, but the people I know that have them, swear by them. Myself, I have a Colt AR Carbine and a Ruger SR556. FYI, the Ruger is a piston impinged rifle, similar in principle to an AK. The Ruger isn't "staked" either, it's all one piece.

Honestly, for a first rifle... Rock River, can't go wrong.

Also, look at what types of rounds you will want to run through it. (Usually this is determined by what you want to shoot). This will determine what type of rifling you want. 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9.

One other piece of advice.... get ready for some extreme elitism....... there are many gun snobs (glock only, s&w only, etc...) but AR snobs are the worst that I have seen.... they badmouth brands they have never even held in their hands, much less owned or even shot as total junk for just a tiny example of what to expect....

The other advice given here has been spot on...... If you do not plan on going to a war zone with it, nearly any brand that has the features you want will do the job for you just fine.... I do recommend that you buy a complete rifle for your first AR though.... they tend to have less troubles with uppers/lowers working together if they are assembled together at the factory (in most cases).

Last thing though... by VERY wary of BRD..... as there is no known cure....... (you will figure it out after looking through the forums of AR15.com and others)

Wife and I both have top of the line Rock River. Great rifle and a joy to shoot. Got them on sale from a Texas company. $1,545 on sale for $999 delivered.

Like others have said the biggest factor should be it's intended use.

The thing about an AR is you can start out inexpensively with a DPMS Panther or S&W MP15 for around $500-$600. Then as you learn more about them you can customize, improve or rebuild them in any way you like since AR parts are interchangeable.

My wife wanted an AR a few years ago. We bought a MP15 for a little over $600 and added new parts & accessories as we went along. Since she didn't plan on competing (just plinking and HD), we ended up with a very nice gun for about $900 all told.

BTW, I actually saw a Bushmaster at Walmart the other day for about $500. It came complete with full length top rail, quad rail forearm, dust cover and forward assist. The only thing I didn't check was to see if it had a chrome lined barrel. But, I liked it well enough I may go back & buy it.

-

It does my heart good to see 8 posts without one mention of what features you can and can't have...*sob*...

Man, I hate living in Andy Cuomo's New York...

Lots of good choices out there, and some good advice posted so far. What you will primarily be using it for should be one of the main discriminators you use in your selection. There are reliable AR rifles out there that you don't have to pay top dollar for. BUT...like many things, you usually get what you pay for. If you're looking for a competition platform and you started with a lower-end model, you may find that you are unable to upgrade/add-on like you wish later on to achieve the performance level you desire, or that it would then be prohibitively expensive to do so. Read up and shop around a lot! I own a Sig M400 (5.56) that I am very pleased with.

OR... if you want something that is actually reliable, You could get an AK.....

Hey, someone had to say it, lol

I have put together 5 from mail order parts. There are plenty of instructions from different sites, just google AR15 assembly instructions and you'll find diagrams, youtube tutorials, and step by step guides. Do one and you'll be surprised how easy it is to do. Easiest way if you like to put stuff together is buy a barreled upper which can be ordered with a bolt carrier group and charging handle. Go with a tactical latch if you plan on scoping your rifle. The latch simply gives a longer lever to get ahold of to cycle the bolt and load(charge) your weapon. My lowers have come from Code Red and Aero Precision.

Buy a fixed or multi-position buttstock, which usually come with a buffer tube and spring, a lower receiver, and lower parts kit, and barreled upper. The standard trigger in an LPK is single stage. A two-stage kit will run you an additional $100 give or take.

With some research and a few questions, you can do this easy.

I use maybe 5 tools to assemble a lower receiver. A hammer and nail set to drive the small retaining pins into place, a screwdriver for the grip, a hunting knife to help press the detent pin and spring into place for the pivot pin, and wrench to tighten the nut on the buffer tube. A piece of cardboard from any of the parts kits comes in handy to lay under a pin you will need to tap into place. Keeps the finish from getting dinged by the hammer. I use the fine edge of a knife to hold the aforementioned pin down in its hole until I can slide the pivot pin over top of it.

Two I have now, one is a std 16" barreled flat top with a red/green dot scope, one is a free-float 20" bull-barreled gun with two-stage trigger for shooting rodents.

Link Removed

Or you could wait and probably spend a whole lot more and get a new double-barrel AR-15. Looks vicious.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back