Looking for new pistol

CindyBindy

I recently purchased a S&W M&PC 9mm (ambidexterous). I love the size of the pistol, however, I cannot do the slide release (too hard to use). I am looking for a pistol (either a 9mm or 380) that is similar, ambidexterous and easier to use the slide release. I just received my carry permit and would like to get a pistol I am comfortable with. Any suggestions?

What is the issue with the slide release? Is it reaching the release or is it a problem with racking the slide?

for a semi.. go with the Ruger SR9 or SR9C... or go LC9 for a lighter gun.. for a revolver I would go with the LCR in .357 .. it can be used with .38 +P,or .357 +P and is compact and light!

My wife had the same problem, (couldn't rack the slide) believe thats what your talking about. Got her a Walther PK380 and she has no problem with it and is a very good shot. Plus the Walther is a great gun. My other suggestion would be a revolver, I love revolvers, just don't go for the lightweight ones because the recoil is hard on the hands.

I've got that problem with all of mine. It seems like my fingers are too short. I don't let that stop me because I don't use it that often. I have 9mm, .45 and .40s. As I practice it gets a little easier.

On the M&P it is a slide stop, not a release, so it is not designed or intended for you to release the slide by moving the lever. That's why it's too hard for you. The proper technique is (for a right handed person) to hold the weapon firmly in your right hand and take your left hand over the top of the barrel and slide, thumb toward you, grasp the serrated area on the back of the slide and pull towards yourself until the slide stop disengages. (There are variations on that technique but they're not important to this conversation) Release the slide and allow the spring to reset the slide, loading the next cartridge in the magazine into the chamber. You've got a terrific weapon; a little training, understanding and practice will help you learn to love that pistol. Good luck and happy shooting.

Chapguy is correct, there is no reason to use the small lever for releasing the slide. A quick pull on the slide rearward and then released will send the slide back into battery after reloading. That lever is really there to lock the slide open to ensure the chamber is cleared.

They are correct about racking the slide instead of using the slide lock/release. Another method involves holding the weapon in the same way, but pushing forward with your strong hand on the grip (instead of pulling back the slide with your weak hand). Many people find it easier.

As to a gun with easier to operate safety and slide lock/release. the Bersa 9mm Thunder Pro and Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro have VERY large control levers.

Link Removed
Link Removed

I guess I misunderstood the comment/question. Chapguy is right. However, with that in mind I still have trouble locking the slide open. It's like my fingers are too short. Still working on that one.

I recently purchased a S&W M&PC 9mm (ambidexterous). I love the size of the pistol, however, I cannot do the slide release (too hard to use). I am looking for a pistol (either a 9mm or 380) that is similar, ambidexterous and easier to use the slide release. I just received my carry permit and would like to get a pistol I am comfortable with. Any suggestions?

Based on having played with a lot of guns, the semi-auto with the easiest slide on the planet is the SIG P238. I can literally rack it with two fingers. So can my wife with her tiny weak 70 year old hands. It's a .380 that shoots like a subcompact. Very pleasant to shoot, very accurate, excellent sights, and easy to conceal.

I haven't tried a P938 yet, but if that is as easy, it's 9mmP and you are good to go.

Fitch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back