looking for a new career!

dblock

I am looking for a new career. Looking for something in Home security possible, Installer. I want to get into some type security what are my options? With all these crazy people doing break-ins and shooting. i want to help people protect them selves and there loved ones. Armed security ?

Home security CAN pay ok, but It's a very hard industry to break into. In most states it requires state licensing and take time and money to get into. Many installers are now making crap hourly rates in place of the once descent commissions they used to make. Armed Security? Check out Armed Security job listings, state licensing, classes, qualifications, and they reward you with dangerous postings and $11-15/hr. NO THANKS. Not to mention the fact that if you actually shot somebody your'd be hung out to dry if their was even the slightest push back by the public on it. I'm a Telecom/IT Technician with a ton of certifications, I used to average 70-90k a year, After year after year of more work for less money I'm now going to school to get my Class A drivers license and drive tractor trailers. The whole tech/installation side of things has completely gone to hell. It's now about low balling people until they quit and starting over with newb's until they smarten up and quit for the cycle to continue. Did tech work from 1998 until a couple months ago, and I've done it all. It's not the industry it used to be.

Thank you snatale for the insight on the jobs. Im just getting tiered of working my same old shipping and receiving job. Its really not about the money i just want to feel like i am doing something with my life. Where people may appreciate what you are doing for them. Not to say there are many jobs or employers that do.

I'm a Telecom/IT Technician with a ton of certifications, I used to average 70-90k a year, After year after year of more work for less money I'm now going to school to get my Class A drivers license and drive tractor trailers. The whole tech/installation side of things has completely gone to hell. It's now about low balling people until they quit and starting over with newb's until they smarten up and quit for the cycle to continue. Did tech work from 1998 until a couple months ago, and I've done it all. It's not the industry it used to be.
Boy did you hit that one on the head. My wife and were both in IT consulting. We both have an MSCS in comp science and lots of certs. We owned a consulting group in mid-town Manhattan for over 20 years but have dissolved it and retired. Here's what I found over all those years...
- Companies want a team player but the only person not on the team is the company. They're team players until the budget requires cuts. Then you're on your own.
- The Khaki Klux Klan is alive and well. Middle management has become a terrorist org in many companies. They regularly lynch employees for infractions.
- The annual review process is designed to promote competition (instead of unity). A department is given X dollars to split between employees for raises. In order for someone to get a good raise another person gets shafted.
- Where a lifelong dedication to a company was once rewarded with a gold watch, it's now rewarded with a pink slip. Employees gain seniority and pay increases but eventually aren't a good investment. So they're traded-in for TWO younger employees.
The list goes on and on.

Create your own career by being willing to do stuff that nobody else wants to do. Some of the richest guys I know have landscaping businesses. They started out with a couple of lawn mowers and now they own 500,000 dollar boats or live in million dollar mansions. Discover what your abilities are and go from there. Look in the paper or on craigslist to see what services people are selling or buying. Another option is get into a career path that will ultimately lead to state licensing as a professional. Once you have a professional license you have a job for life. Google what professions your states regulate and see if any of them are a fit. One certain way to become successful is to honor all commitments and do exactly what you promise to do.

Create your own career by being willing to do stuff that nobody else wants to do. Some of the richest guys I know have landscaping businesses. They started out with a couple of lawn mowers and now they own 500,000 dollar boats or live in million dollar mansions. Discover what your abilities are and go from there. Look in the paper or on craigslist to see what services people are selling or buying. Another option is get into a career path that will ultimately lead to state licensing as a professional. Once you have a professional license you have a job for life. Google what professions your states regulate and see if any of them are a fit. One certain way to become successful is to honor all commitments and do exactly what you promise to do.
I agree. I know a couple of landscapers. They started out cutting grass, added more crews and then moved into planting tress, shrubs, stone walls, walkways. They're making tremendous money. I built a 90 foot fieldstone/mortar wall in summer 2013. Took me and one helper about 10 weeks. The average estimate was $20,000 from the pro's and they said it would take about two weeks. $20K is a lot of green so I did it myself. What a back-breaker.

What do you like to do? What are your interests?
If you chase a job/career just for the money, you'll never be happy there.
If you can find a career in something you're interested in, or something related to a hobby, you'll be more likely to perform well and advance.
If it's something new to you, be willing to accept lower pay to start. If you do well, the money will generally follow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back