Looking for a decent 10mm.

BlueMR2

Been looking around for a 10mm for awhile (for something that has more punch when I'm out in the areas where wild animals are more likely to be around). Not sure which guns are any good in 10mm though. It seems like there's an awful lot of them that sound like they're not truly designed for the 10mm (lots of stories of blown up guns). Has anyone found one that *doesn't* have that problem? Further requirements are one with a real manual frame/slide safety on it (not the "Glock safety" type), and something mid-sized (10mm in compact would be pretty unpleasant to practice with, and I don't want a full-size as I want to CC with it).

The Smith and Wesson Model 1006 is a recoil operated double-action semi-automatic handgun chambered in the powerful 10 mm auto cartridge. It is constructed entirely of stainless steel, a 5 in (127 mm) barrel and a 9 round single column magazine. Its safety is a slide mounted de-cock/safety, internal safeties are a magazine disconnect and firing pin block. It is available with fixed or adjustable sights.

The model 1006 was the first in the S&W 10x6 series of third generation semi-automatic handguns. Variations include the models 1046, 1026, 1066, 1076 (FBI model) and 1086. The 10x6 series were some of the most robust, sturdy 10 mm handguns ever built, easily handling the power of this potent cartridge. They are generally considered to be quite reliable and accurate.

Smith & Wesson Model 1006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also go for the old true reliable 10mm Glock 20 and 29...!

For a little more background on my search so far and the parameters I had in mind:

The EAA Witness and Glocks were 2 that were both on my early list, but have been dropped. Research so far has indicated that the EAAs tend to have problems with cracked slides and frames with full load 10mm. On the Glock side there seem to be more "glockabooms"/bulged casings with 10mm than I'm comfortable with, plus the Glocks do not have the type of safety that I prefer, and finally the 3rd strike against the Glock is the variations that Buffalo Bore mentions in their 10mm ammo reading (even a spring mod doesn't get it as good as others are from the factory). I'm looking for something that's going be mind-numbingly boring to fire basically. Not a fan of having to worry about the thing blowing up each time I shoot it. :)

The S&W sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for, however availability is a bit of a problem... I'll consider other options if ones can be found that will be the same (or better) quality than the S&W. If not, well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I can find one!

It's pricey, but you can't go wrong with a Dan Wesson. Link Removed

All of their models are full size though, but that leads to the reliability you are looking for I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back